No announcement yet.

Weight training for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
    why? did you google Sergio, Mosley, Berto, or Zab's training routine and thats what you found?

I can only find vids of them training, but i cant watch vids at work so i really dont know what they do but my moneys on plyo's with maybe some weighted basics like weighted pull ups, push ups, and sit ups.
    Because my question was about weight training and he's given me an answer about weight training.

Comment

Two people who know alot about this

are Ron Lipton and Ross Enamait (rossboxing.com). Goggle them and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
        I'm tired of seeing ******s on boxingscene act like weight lifting is unwarranted. That's stupid and backwards ass thinking. Every elite athlete lifts some sort of weight, whether it's heavy or light. From sprinters, to tennis players, to footballers, to NFL players, to swimmers, to boxers. It's called conditioning and lifting weights happens to help you condition at a faster rate.

Anyways. It all depends on HOW YOU LIFT THE WEIGHTS. I will tell you(TS) how each one works and what your results will be.

Lifting Heavy w/ few reps You lift really fast and reset slow. This will get you explosive, fast-twitch muscle. If you include proper cardio training, you'll end up looking like Sergio, Mosley, or Zab. Tight, dense, muscle. The way many men want to look. If you don't include proper cardio, you'll end up like Berto. Fast twitch muscle simply happens to be bigger muscle.

Lifting light w/ many reps You lift really fast and reset moderately slow. This won't result in explosive muscle. Instead it builds slow twitch, endurance muscle. You'll get long, lean muscle. You'll end up looking like Marquez or Margarito. Thin body, muscle is obviously there but it's not dense. It's thin. Slow twitch muscle just happens to be thin.

Not lifting weights. You can get away with not lifting weights at all but that is ancient method of training. You won't ever reach elite athletic ability but you can still be a very good sport specific player. Which, if you were a real athlete, wouldn't be content with.

Every REAL athlete wants to be THE best. They compete and want to compete THE best they can. So, they separate themselves from the old thinking and really look into real conditioning. That is why all the TOP athletes today, regardless of what sport they play, have and do lift some weights in some way. That's just the way it is.
        what do you mean with reset slow?? And how many reps should one do???

Comment

Originally posted by CymruAmByth View Post
          Because my question was about weight training and he's given me an answer about weight training.
          ohhhh i thought it was about weight training for boxing...my mistake.

Comment

the best weight trainingf is using your own weight (pull ups, push ups).

Comment

Originally posted by LaMexicanMigra View Post
              the best weight trainingf is using your own weight (pull ups, push ups).
              Old way of thinking.

If you want mediocre muscle development and muscle output, along with a very long development time, then go with that.

Lifting weights significantly cuts the time it takes to see results. Lifting properly will result in proper muscle. If you lift like a bodybuilder, you'll look and move like a bodybuilder. Lift with the goal in improving boxing fitness, your muscle gain will reflect all the attributes for boxing.

(i made this)

Floyd Mayweather Jr. >>>> Anything any weight lifting nay sayer can do.
              Last edited by F l i c k e r; 06-21-2011, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                (i made this)

Floyd Mayweather Jr. >>>> Anything any weight lifting nay sayer can do.
                so high reps done at a moderate pace with 10-20 lbs on a cable machine to work the arms and upper body is the way to go?
                Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 06-21-2011, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                  so high reps done at a moderate pace with 10-20 lbs on a cable machine to work the arms and upper body is the way to go?
                  If that is what your gunning for, then yes.

What Floyd is doing is endurance building. Lifting that way results in endurance, slow twitch muscle.

Now look at Floyd's body. Not very bulky. Now look at the way he boxes. Not very powerful but never gets tired.

Thank you. Come again.

Comment

hey man. i know a little about this, but im no expert. basicaly to put on maximum muscle do 10x3 reps. this however is not great for boxers because it trigers mostly sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (the part of the muslce that dosnt contract). by doing a 5x5 program you are more likely to trigger myofibrilar hypertrophy (contractile proteins). obviously you trigger both at the same time, but the heavier the weight the more myofibrilar. training heavy (1-5 reps) also teaches your CNS (central nervous system) to work better so that it recruits all of your availible muscle mass, instead of just some of it.

so obviously for a fighter heavy weight training is better. it makes you stronger and helps fast twitch muscle recruitment, that, in theory makes you more explosive. sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is also useful as that aids in glycogen stores and thus endurance, but that will also grow by doing 5x5.

HOWEVER by traing 5x5 you will grow at a slower rate. sarplasmic hypertrophy shows the most visible growth so thats what people target when they want to get big fast, but that muscle isnt as functional. look at the difference between powerlifters, oly weightlifters and bodybilders.

but you also need to do other things. traing at heavy wreights gives you the tools to be more explosive (more over all strength and better muscle fiber recruitment) but you still need to train your body to utilise that potential by doing things such as plyometrics.

people say weightlifting makes you slower, and this is kinda true, if you do it wrong. lots of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy will weight you down with no explosive benifits and thus make you slower. also DMOS will make you slower. DMOS (delayed muslce onset soreness) is when you ache and feel stiff after a workout. when you have it bad, its obvious and you feel slower and stiff. however after a while you dont get the soreness, you just get slight stifness. this makes people think that they arent aching and are therefore back to normal. the stifness is barely noticable. it will slow you down slightly though.

that slowness isnt permanent. have a few days of training and your speed will shoot back up, so you dont need to be worried about being slow in fights, you just might be slow in training. it may impact your training, may not, i dont know, but you can make that decision for yourself

edit: part 2. weightlifting is no different to doing push-ups, apart from you can control the weight. so you cant say push-ups are inherently good and weights inherently bad, its how you use them. its important to say that you need to mix all sorts of training. sprints for cardio, heavy lifting, plyometrics, e.c.t.

lastly make sure you work out properly. i, like many others, fell into the trap of pushing too much, and not pulling. stand normally with your hands by your sides. if your thumbs point straight forwards your fine, if they point inwards (like 90% of people i know) you have rounded shoulders. this can lead to a whole host of problems, not least it forces your body to reorganise itsself and that meens you loose stregnth and effectiveness. its realy important to train your back, and its often neglected. if you dont, injury awaits

as extra incentive, in boxing, power starts in your legs and goes through your back and core to your arms, so if you have a strong back, you will have stronger punches. its vitaly important to stay ballanced all over so make sure that however many pushes (bench press, millitary press, e.c.t.) you do an equal amount of pulls (pullups, rows e.c.t.).

lastly, dont forget the little muscles like the rear delts. these are a pain to train but are important for balance. good luck
                    Last edited by josh-hill; 06-22-2011, 10:11 AM.

Comment

forgot to mention i dabbled in MMA for a while and came back to boxing. but my trainer was real strong for his size, and he was a big guy. 6'3-6'4 i think, about 185lbs. but real strong and real fast. he did 10 one rep maxes. he would pyramid up to his max weight then do that, rest and do it again. untill he had done 10 of them. he said it worked wonders, esspecialy with supersets thrown in. he also did hurricanes. i cant remeber them exactly but they where basicaly a 5 min sprint, then lifting, then a 5 min sprint, with minimal rest. realy good way of working on stregnth and cardio at once

Comment

Working...
                      X