No announcement yet.

Weight training for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CymruAmByth View Post
    Sorry, i should have made this clearer in my first post. It's speed and power i'm looking to gain, not muscle. I was merely saying that i didn't mind gaining a bit
    Use high reps and make your moves explosive. Showdow box with 2-5lbs weights. Shadow boxing with weights will make the gloves feel like pillows on your hands. Lifting weights does help you with boxing.

Comment

some food for thought:

Muhammad Ali didn't lift weights and he was very fast, agile, and quite powerful and stayed around 205 lbs, not a huge amount of muscle mass.

Mike Tyson lifted heavy and... shouldn't have to tell you about him:

Comment

Short answer is: do all the above.

Lift heavy, lift light. Mix it up as often as possible.

Comment

Heavy Compound Lifting (3-5 Range)
          Sprints
          Lots of Stretching

all this crap with high reps and low weight and shadow boxing w/ 2lbs is not going make you stronger or faster.

Comment

Plyometrics...

Comment

I'm tired of seeing ******s on boxingscene act like weight lifting is unwarranted. That's stupid and backwards ass thinking. Every elite athlete lifts some sort of weight, whether it's heavy or light. From sprinters, to tennis players, to footballers, to NFL players, to swimmers, to boxers. It's called conditioning and lifting weights happens to help you condition at a faster rate.

Anyways. It all depends on HOW YOU LIFT THE WEIGHTS. I will tell you(TS) how each one works and what your results will be.

Lifting Heavy w/ few reps You lift really fast and reset slow. This will get you explosive, fast-twitch muscle. If you include proper cardio training, you'll end up looking like Sergio, Mosley, or Zab. Tight, dense, muscle. The way many men want to look. If you don't include proper cardio, you'll end up like Berto. Fast twitch muscle simply happens to be bigger muscle.

Lifting light w/ many reps You lift really fast and reset moderately slow. This won't result in explosive muscle. Instead it builds slow twitch, endurance muscle. You'll get long, lean muscle. You'll end up looking like Marquez or Margarito. Thin body, muscle is obviously there but it's not dense. It's thin. Slow twitch muscle just happens to be thin.

Not lifting weights. You can get away with not lifting weights at all but that is ancient method of training. You won't ever reach elite athletic ability but you can still be a very good sport specific player. Which, if you were a real athlete, wouldn't be content with.

Every REAL athlete wants to be THE best. They compete and want to compete THE best they can. So, they separate themselves from the old thinking and really look into real conditioning. That is why all the TOP athletes today, regardless of what sport they play, have and do lift some weights in some way. That's just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                Slow twitch muscle just happens to be thin.

you use heavy weight to train fast twitch muscle thus fast twitch muscle is more likly to tear and and repair and tear and repair, giving it its density.

you train slow twitch with light weights so its less likely to tear and repair and tear and repair so it remains thin.

Comment

I agree with Flicker. I'm no expert on weight lifting with boxing, but i'm an expert on what experience taught me. There's different ways to lift weights and train, and it really really depends on how you train in order to reach a specific goal.

I believe one of GSP's trainers said "If you train like the rest, you will BE like the rest." I guess it's about finding the right workout plan for what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    I'm tired of seeing ******s on boxingscene act like weight lifting is unwarranted. That's stupid and backwards ass thinking. Every elite athlete lifts some sort of weight, whether it's heavy or light. From sprinters, to tennis players, to footballers, to NFL players, to swimmers, to boxers. It's called conditioning and lifting weights happens to help you condition at a faster rate.

Anyways. It all depends on HOW YOU LIFT THE WEIGHTS. I will tell you(TS) how each one works and what your results will be.

Lifting Heavy w/ few reps You lift really fast and reset slow. This will get you explosive, fast-twitch muscle. If you include proper cardio training, you'll end up looking like Sergio, Mosley, or Zab. Tight, dense, muscle. The way many men want to look. If you don't include proper cardio, you'll end up like Berto. Fast twitch muscle simply happens to be bigger muscle.

Lifting light w/ many reps You lift really fast and reset moderately slow. This won't result in explosive muscle. Instead it builds slow twitch, endurance muscle. You'll get long, lean muscle. You'll end up looking like Marquez or Margarito. Thin body, muscle is obviously there but it's not dense. It's thin. Slow twitch muscle just happens to be thin.

Not lifting weights. You can get away with not lifting weights at all but that is ancient method of training. You won't ever reach elite athletic ability but you can still be a very good sport specific player. Which, if you were a real athlete, wouldn't be content with.

Every REAL athlete wants to be THE best. They compete and want to compete THE best they can. So, they separate themselves from the old thinking and really look into real conditioning. That is why all the TOP athletes today, regardless of what sport they play, have and do lift some weights in some way. That's just the way it is.
                    Now THAT was the kind of reply i was looking for! Very informative, thanks man. I'm guessing i'd need to stick to compound movements, deadlifts, squats, bench etc?

Comment

Originally posted by CymruAmByth View Post
                      Now THAT was the kind of reply i was looking for! Very informative, thanks man. I'm guessing i'd need to stick to compound movements, deadlifts, squats, bench etc?
                      why? did you google Sergio, Mosley, Berto, or Zab's training routine and thats what you found?

I can only find vids of them training, but i cant watch vids at work so i really dont know what they do but my moneys on plyo's with maybe some weighted basics like weighted pull ups, push ups, and sit ups.
                      Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 06-20-2011, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X