No announcement yet.

Unsure about my boxing coach

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin'

I agree, but how can you grow as a fighter if you are not sparring very often?

How do you keep your eyes sharp? .............Rockin'
    Sparring to your level helps at first, not being thrown in against a much more experienced opponent who used the opportunity to tee off on you. You can actually cause more harm than good from that and even put someone off boxing altogether.

Comment

I always looked to spar above my level.

Either you sink by giving up or you swim and learn to fight at their level.

That's just how I did it.

When I would see some guy moving around shadow boxing, and he looks sharp, I would always try to get some rounds with him.

The only guy that my trainer at the time would not let me get some rounds with was Bones Adams. I was still kind of new to the sport and he probably saved me from a terrible beating.

I do understand your view though.

I fought the defending national champion in my 6th bout ever. I lost by decision. But it was a good fight.

But my confidence level soared, as did my hunger to grow as a boxer.

................Rockin'

I get what you are saying bro 100% I just think the op should be eased into the hard sparring especially if he's new. Give him a chance to get some sound fundamentals. Say a year of training and then be put into hard sparring. I know you boxed professionally you are a different beast entirely much respect to you for reaching that level and boxing multiple times against strong opposition.
      Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabris322 View Post
        Sorry if this is in the wrong thread this is my first time using this forum.

I've been training in boxing since September of 2023 with the intention of competing. So far I've had about 8 spars with varying results and with guys varying in experience.

Last Saturday I went to another gym that my coach helps train at for some sparring since my club doesn't have many other members suitable for sparring. Before I was even ready my coach told me to gear up and get in the ring without warming up. I wasn't given any directives for this spar or advice just left to my own devices. I was paired up with this dude who was a Southpaw and long story short he beat the **** out of me. Not to the point of being concussed but it felt like he was trying his best to knock me down. Now in all honestly I was just getting off having a cold and wasn't in my best form but even if I felt like 100 percent I don't believe it would've been any different.

From the first round the dude smiled at me recognizing that I couldn't do **** to him and immediately started switching stances and dropping his arms and dancing around the ring taunting me. In the 2nd round while I was throwing punches at him he straight up turned to my coach and asked "how long he's been boxing for" then turned back to me and said "keep working" while keeping his head turned away from me. He then proceeded to ask me the same question to which I responded "about 7 or so months" he then shook his head and proceeded his antics. Throughout the whole spar I only managed to get a few hits off on him but nothing effective in all honesty. My coach didn't offer any advice at all between rounds. The spar ended after 3 rounds in which the third round it felt like this dude was trying his ass off to drop me which turned into a weird ass slugfest of me sloppily trying to connect while he was landing bombs on me from weird angles since he was fighting like Prince Naseem.

Leaving the gym I found out from this dude's friend that he'd been boxing since he was a kid and had vastly more experience than me which is understandable though it felt like he was just using this spar to boost his ego by fighting me as if he was Benn Whittaker. I asked my coach for feedback on the spar and all he didn't tell me much aside from keep my hands up.

Come to about yesterday which is when its this coach's turn to open up the gym. It was mainly just me and then later another gym mate who came 30 minutes later. Throughout the whole time my coach didn't even really bother to work with me on anything just leaving me to my own devices again. He only came over later on in the day to work some pads with my gym mate but that was about it. My other 2 coaches usually will observe me while I work and give constructive criticism and feedback and work the pads with me but they only open the gym separately for about 2 days of the week. While this coach that takes me sparring usually opens 3 days.

I'm unsure how I should feel about this whole situation as my coach wants me to enter a tournament during the Summer for beginners and I always show up and work my absolute hardest in and outside of the gym and am always open to learning but lately it seems like he just wants to see what I'm going to bring during this tournament rather than actually train me.
        How can you spar when you just started boxing and not being taught the actual stuff needed first of all ? Guys like Rockin dont make it in boxing bc of the things he just said re read them….don’t listen to that guy he’s a moron when it comes to actual making a career out of it ,stay far awAy .

The first thing is take time out ,learn to work behind a jab even if it takes a year bc if you don’t learn that you won’t far anyway and obviously these gyms aren’t with teachers but guys who don’t know what they’re doing . You just can’t walk into a gym and be thrown in there in sparring if you need more development and anyone says otherwise is a dummy , again walk away from these multiple coaches ? They just want you’re money there’s never multiple coaches ….it’s a scam . There’s ONE guy you listen to .

You can’t skip steps you got to piece everything together and that starts with a jab and different one’s because everything falls apart without it it’s like puzzle ,if you can’t control a fight with one punch the jab you shouldn’t be advancing let alone sparring bc it just becomes confusing . People don’t know how to train fighters this forum is proof of that , you got to get the basics down and mind set bf you start getting grinded down by a guy your paying to not teach you actual boxing ? Lol
        Last edited by juggernaut666; 05-18-2024, 02:18 AM.

Comment

So I was fighting out of Jackie Kallens Galaxy stable.

Talk some more about something that you know next to nothing about.

I was fighting out of the Auburn Hills Palace.

lol, bare knuckle came around because you guys can't box worth a sheet.

Can't beat the pros in boxing so change/alter the boxing and make your own champions.

You have never heard how a world famous gym handled new people?

They threw them in and either they sank or they swam.

Either they showed up the next day, to do it all again, or they didn't.

I demanded that I spar on my first night.

I got knocked down but I was there to do it again just about everyday that they were open for years.

Fought in the JOs after joining a month or two earlier

..................Rockin'
          The problem is your against yourself on this forum and the reason you made your decisions is why you didn’t actually grow as a skilled fighter but you know that you just won’t tell the forum …..

I don’t particularly care what you did now I gave you a chance but you blew it …….good for you and your accomplishments but you won’t be training g any fighters who succeed you don’t know how to so like I said fighters who are new should avoid you bc you make it about you which is basically nothing . It is what it is .

By the way my uncle trained Rid**** Bowe in the amateurs PAL he was a kid a young guy and I come from a boxing family you absolutely don’t know what your doing by the things I read on here at least for advice for advancement bc that actually takes knowledge not getting beat up ina ring like you seem to claim as though that’s a strong point ? Let it go . Lol

You made a big mistake dummy so keep it coming ..lol expose you daily on here ?
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 05-18-2024, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            How can you spar when you just started boxing and not being taught the actual stuff needed first of all ? Guys like Rockin dont make it in boxing bc of the things he just said re read them….don’t listen to that guy he’s a moron when it comes to actual making a career out of it ,stay far awAy .

The first thing is take time out ,learn to work behind a jab even if it takes a year bc if you don’t learn that you won’t far anyway and obviously these gyms aren’t with teachers but guys who don’t know what they’re doing . You just can’t walk into a gym and be thrown in there in sparring if you need more development and anyone says otherwise is a dummy , again walk away from these multiple coaches ? They just want you’re money there’s never multiple coaches ….it’s a scam . There’s ONE guy you listen to .

You can’t skip steps you got to piece everything together and that starts with a jab and different one’s because everything falls apart without it it’s like puzzle ,if you can’t control a fight with one punch the jab you shouldn’t be advancing let alone sparring bc it just becomes confusing . People don’t know how to train fighters this forum is proof of that , you got to get the basics down and mind set bf you start getting grinded down by a guy your paying to not teach you actual boxing ? Lol
            I should've clarified this but I've only had to pay $100 for the team USA metro membership for my gym as the gym is mainly to help train young people to become amateur boxers and isn't for profit. the only reason my gym has three different coaches is due to the former head trainer becoming ill and needing assistance with keeping the gym going. my coaches have different work schedules so they will typically cover different days.

My other two coaches are great. They've drilled working behind the jab, throwing it at different angles and while moving, using footwork, head movement ,slips and realistic combinations. And when I spar in my club with my friend who isn't as experienced they're constantly watching and giving feedback during the spar, between rounds, and after the spar.

As I've said I got nothing against sparring and I am open to doing it as I've been able to learn from my mistakes before the aforementioned spar and after as I wasn't thrown in with dudes who've been boxing since they were kids and think flexing on and attempting to KO a beginner is bad ass while having a coach in my corner who doesn't really act like a coach at all.

However, after getting feedback from this thread and from my other coaches and friends I'm going to shift away completely from the coach who is disinterested and primarily work with my other two coaches until I can find a more suitable gym after I move.

Thank you all for your responses.

juggernaut666 juggernaut666 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabris322 View Post

I should've clarified this but I've only had to pay $100 for the team USA metro membership for my gym as the gym is mainly to help train young people to become amateur boxers and isn't for profit. the only reason my gym has three different coaches is due to the former head trainer becoming ill and needing assistance with keeping the gym going. my coaches have different work schedules so they will typically cover different days.

My other two coaches are great. They've drilled working behind the jab, throwing it at different angles and while moving, using footwork, head movement ,slips and realistic combinations. And when I spar in my club with my friend who isn't as experienced they're constantly watching and giving feedback during the spar, between rounds, and after the spar.

As I've said I got nothing against sparring and I am open to doing it as I've been able to learn from my mistakes before the aforementioned spar and after as I wasn't thrown in with dudes who've been boxing since they were kids and think flexing on and attempting to KO a beginner is bad ass while having a coach in my corner who doesn't really act like a coach at all.

However, after getting feedback from this thread and from my other coaches and friends I'm going to shift away completely from the coach who is disinterested and primarily work with my other two coaches until I can find a more suitable gym after I move.

Thank you all for your responses.

Pay attention to the last last paragraph you posted ……just go with that . I’ll give you my own advice that I taught my son and you can do why ou want with it I come from a boxing family I know a little but about boxing….

Learn how to win a fight with one hand ( the jab ) if you can’t beat giys easily on your level with that sole punch you aren’t doing it right .

Ive trained guys with 6 months this with just the jab just on self defense ,if you can do that you build on that foundation and learn balance and what type of jabs to throw bc you got to change them up …..just saying . If your in a rush to be a champion and you can’t do this simple stuff your just rushing into a car crash …..

The real short cut is reading what I just posted . I’ve knocked out guys with a jab make it a priority and work around that punch understand that punch bf you got fake trainers telling you to throw silly combinations and spar this and that ……these guys aren’t trainers .
              Last edited by juggernaut666; 05-27-2024, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post

Pay attention to the last last paragraph you posted ……just go with that . I’ll give you my own advice that I taught my son and you can do why ou want with it I come from a boxing family I know a little but about boxing….

Learn how to win a fight with one hand ( the jab ) if you can’t beat giys easily on your level with that sole punch you aren’t doing it right .

Ive trained guys with 6 months this with just the jab just on self defense ,if you can do that you build on that foundation and learn balance and what type of jabs to throw bc you got to change them up …..just saying . If your in a rush to be a champion and you can’t do this simple stuff your just rushing into a car crash …..

The real short cut is reading what I just posted . I’ve knocked out guys with a jab make it a priority and work around that punch understand that punch bf you got fake trainers telling you to throw silly combinations and spar this and that ……these guys aren’t trainers .
                I primarily work behind my jab in sparring sessions so this is good to know that I'm at least doing something right.

I trust in what you're saying. Thank you for your advice. I'm definitely going to take it to heart and hopefully I can find a better gym.

Comment

Working...
                X