No announcement yet.

I stopped Overhead Pressing and free Barbell Squatting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I stopped Overhead Pressing and free Barbell Squatting

Been lifting since I was 11 continuously other than periods I was at the boxing gyms training and sparring....oh and that one year and half I was married( don't recommend).

Recently I stopped squatting with a free barbell, it hurts my knees more than it benefits my legs so I switched to the hack squat machine and its much better.

I very recently stopped OHP with a free barbell and just use the machine after eventually an injury to my trap always occurs after a few months of doing it.

I deadlift but not super heavy anymore and with the barbell on the very bottom rung of the safety bar where the 45lb plate is just an inch and half off the ground.

Doing alot more pullups, dips, planks, putting the gyms gloves on and hitting the heavy and double end bag.

Pretty much I revised my routine for a middle aged man because you wanna stay fit and strong but gotta worry about injuries and preserving connective tissue.

Anyone else doing the same?
    Willy Wanker Willy Wanker likes this.

Similar. Over time I've added weight vests too for burpees and pullups. Also, I make use of the slam ball for a very wide variety of exercises.
    Spray_resistant Spray_resistant likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
      Been lifting since I was 11 continuously other than periods I was at the boxing gyms training and sparring....oh and that one year and half I was married( don't recommend).

Recently I stopped squatting with a free barbell, it hurts my knees more than it benefits my legs so I switched to the hack squat machine and its much better.

I very recently stopped OHP with a free barbell and just use the machine after eventually an injury to my trap always occurs after a few months of doing it.

I deadlift but not super heavy anymore and with the barbell on the very bottom rung of the safety bar where the 45lb plate is just an inch and half off the ground.

Doing alot more pullups, dips, planks, putting the gyms gloves on and hitting the heavy and double end bag.

Pretty much I revised my routine for a middle aged man because you wanna stay fit and strong but gotta worry about injuries and preserving connective tissue.

There is no point in the heavy and more traumatic exercises when reaching a certain age - the time for big achievements passes away, plus, you don't need it if you don't compete. So switching as you did (to pull-ups, dips, planks) is fine and lowering the weights is also fine - it is quite enough to be in perfect shape and still keep a good level of strength.

I decided to stop maxing on the bench press, deadlifts and squats. It is a bit boring now, as I am not used to not doing heavy lifting, but I switched to similar - pull-ups, lower weights, and different exercises. Most probably I will entirely go back to my martial arts training in time.

Comment

Originally posted by fifth_root View Post

There is no point in the heavy and more traumatic exercises when reaching a certain age - the time for big achievements passes away, plus, you don't need it if you don't compete. So switching as you did (to pull-ups, dips, planks) is fine and lowering the weights is also fine - it is quite enough to be in perfect shape and still keep a good level of strength.

I decided to stop maxing on the bench press, deadlifts and squats. It is a bit boring now, as I am not used to not doing heavy lifting, but I switched to similar - pull-ups, lower weights, and different exercises. Most probably I will entirely go back to my martial arts training in time.
        It kinda defeats the purpose if you seriously hurt yourself or have constant minor injuries from pushing 1 rep maxes on powerlifts, was probably at my strongest and least injury prone in my late 20s. I suspect its the same for most guys, look at boxers, most really hit their peak around that age and then around 32-33 start to slide a little physically.

You're right, it is a bit boring now and more about holding on to what you have than progression.

Comment

It kinda defeats the purpose if you seriously hurt yourself or have constant minor injuries from pushing 1 rep maxes on powerlifts, was probably at my strongest and least injury prone in my late 20s. I suspect its the same for most guys, look at boxers, most really hit their peak around that age and then around 32-33 start to slide a little physically.

You're right, it is a bit boring now and more about holding on to what you have than progression.
          Even when you aim at one rep max, the usual training consists of rather 3-4 repetitions and occasionally checking your one rep max. Of course, there are different methods.

I think that when it comes to powerlifting, you can hold a bit longer than martial arts or weightlifting, but again - if you don't compete, there is no point. At best, try it at your peak, as you say - around your 30s and train for something more practical. The truth is that sports are healthy, I'd say even mandatory, but each one takes its dose from your body as well. No sports and you don't get the best of your health, you can even damage it. We're doomed, aren't we? One can say that people living rural life live long and healthy without sports - of course, their physical activity consists of enough and sports are physical activity on their basis.

Comment

Originally posted by fifth_root View Post

Even when you aim at one rep max, the usual training consists of rather 3-4 repetitions and occasionally checking your one rep max. Of course, there are different methods.

I think that when it comes to powerlifting, you can hold a bit longer than martial arts or weightlifting, but again - if you don't compete, there is no point. At best, try it at your peak, as you say - around your 30s and train for something more practical. The truth is that sports are healthy, I'd say even mandatory, but each one takes its dose from your body as well. No sports and you don't get the best of your health, you can even damage it. We're doomed, aren't we? One can say that people living rural life live long and healthy without sports - of course, their physical activity consists of enough and sports are physical activity on their basis.
            These bodies just aren't made to last forever, you can preserve your joints by being a weak inactive skinny fat slug who pull a muscle getting up too fast from your car or you can build a great deal of strength and muscle memory and be cracking and popping when you get up in the morning while working around perpetual minor injuries. We're meant to do stuff though, I'm actually going to be planting this spring since I'm finally a homeowner in a rural area.
            fifth_root fifth_root likes this.

Comment

These bodies just aren't made to last forever, you can preserve your joints by being a weak inactive skinny fat slug who pull a muscle getting up too fast from your car or you can build a great deal of strength and muscle memory and be cracking and popping when you get up in the morning while working around perpetual minor injuries. We're meant to do stuff though, I'm actually going to be planting this spring since I'm finally a homeowner in a rural area.
              Damn right. I feel sad when I see ex-wrestler and their bodies look shot to hell
              Willy Wanker Willy Wanker likes this.

Comment

I swear by calisthenics. They are a simple way to maintain strength and fitness that generally won’t leave you beat up like weightlifting can.

Been throwing in some animal mobility flows for variety, and just discovered Capofit from the Brazilian jiu jitsu’er Cobrinha. Kicked my ass.

Spray_resistant Spray_resistant likes this.

Comment

I stopped when I got pinched nerves and it hurt me too much to do overhead lifts.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

I stopped when I got pinched nerves and it hurt me too much to do overhead lifts.
                    Where did you pinch nerves? Mine are in the traps.

Do you do the machine overheads?

Comment

Working...
                    X