Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the primary muscle groups involved for the jab and straight right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the primary muscle groups involved for the jab and straight right?

Hey all. As a result of losing strength with age (34), I don't have anywhere near the same power as I did in my mid 20s,.despite being mechanically better these days.

The key factor is that I'm just plain weaker these days, physically. Even though I tried getting back to the same regime, it seems it's not enough to get the testosterone levels back to where they need to be.

Now my question concerns the jab and straight right, these shots are not very strong these days. My jab used to be very powerful, and a good measure of upperbody strength is the jab, so it make sense that this would leak the most. What can I do to get back to my old strength and get the power jab back? Or is it lost forever?

I also lost fast twitch muscle fiber. Can I regain that somehow by upping the training?
    Last edited by Pugilist89; 02-19-2023, 04:38 AM.

I know this is a stupid suggestions but assume I bulk up a huge bicep, will that increase my punching power?

I'm so frustrated that my power is lost.

Comment

You are only 34, it isn’t anything to do with age. So far as your jab and straight right, my thinking is that neither is related to bicep strength but rather your triceps. Essentially you are pushing those punches.

I'd bet that some flaws in your technique have cropped up and are responsible for your power outage, not much to do with a loss of strength. Coordinating the timing between feet, body torque and arm extension are critical.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
        You are only 34, it isn’t anything to do with age. So far as your jab and straight right, my thinking is that neither is related to bicep strength but rather your triceps. Essentially you are pushing those punches.

I'd bet that some flaws in your technique have cropped up and are responsible for your power outage, not much to do with a loss of strength. Coordinating the timing between feet, body torque and arm extension are critical.
        Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post

No, I'm telling you. I don't have the same amount of fast twitch anymore... Meaning I'm just plain slower.

This is about 5 months ago... Still got it there. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VCPpG1...st=LL&index=37
          Last edited by Pugilist89; 03-01-2023, 06:53 PM.

Comment

My first coach said speed is in the bicep and power is in the triceps. He said this as a way of simplifying. Obviously there are more mechanics and technique that translate to speed/power. But to your ask - if you bulk up a large bicep you're going to have a chance at a quicker, snapping jab. The whip-crack on the jab comes from bringing the punch back at or near the moment of connection. The bicep is the critical component in retraction that jab back quickly.

When you say you lost fast twitch fiber did you have an accident to physically alter you? Or do you just feel slower. The rate of repair and recovery and reactivity is going to respond to training at any age. Roy Jones still had dazzling had speed well into his 40s. Was he as fast as when he was 27? No. But he was also larger. If you train through and with the basics your twitch will recover.

Also as was mentioned above, at 34 your T level shouldn't be a primary consideration for loss of strength. Poor diet - or - excess weight around the midsection will rob you of power even if you're T is above 1K.

Have you had a blood draw to validate your suspicion about lower T?

Comment

Originally posted by JC Warrior View Post

When you say you lost fast twitch fiber did you have an accident to physically alter you?
              It's like it gets activated ON and OFF, wheras it was always ON in my 20s. I need a lot of intense pressure on my body to get it activated. And sometimes it's a bit random. Some days it's just not there.

Weird.

Comment

Working...
              X