No announcement yet.

Training tips for old farts....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training tips for old farts....

OK so I'm 50 and signed up to do a charity White Collar Event in early February and want to give it my very best shot. The training sessions we're offered for free are 2 x 1hr a week (Mon, Weds evening). I got some experience competitve sparring at a low level and basic punching technique - but that was from about 30 years ago. Have sparred casually many times since on the mats with guys from different martial arts for fun and get some standing practice in but it ain't the same at all.

Fitness wise my weight ain't an issue (I'm 5'11" currently 176 but expect to be around 170 come fight night) and strength is pretty good but stamina probably needs quite a bit of work (30 years of smoking until 2017 and lung damage from pneumonia 15 odd years ago).

So far I started running each morning about 2 miles on the flat (I'm by a canal), which has hurt a bit since I ain't used to it, but getting easier day by day, doing alternate days strength and circuit / cardio) about 30 minutes a time.

What I'm mainly looking for is whether any of the older dudes on here got any advice about

a) potential pitfalls
    b) whether I should be prioritising skill development or stamina given both the limited time I got to prepare (about 8 or 9 weeks) and the fact that I only got so many hours in the day.
    c) hints for training as an older man.. I'm used to going all in, but I know from experience with jujitsu that I'm more prone to injury than I was when I was younger and that I don't recover as fast... but is there any specific advice, hints, tips or hacks from your personal experience) on how that should impact or shape my boxing training?

Should I be concentrating on form and fundamentals, bag work, sparring to get some ring experience or fitness and stamina? it's only 3 x 2 mins but as a 50 y/o novice that'll be more than enough to wipe me out at any reasonable pace I'm sure. Even as a young man 3 x 3 competitve sparring would leave me a gasping, sweaty mess.

Thanks in advance gents, much appreciated. Of course I'm gonna be googling and watching videos and stuff myself, so what I'm looking for here is more about input from personal experience, although any links to particularly relevant channels or websites would be gratefully appreciated too.

Kind regards

Theo

Definitely I would be doing some Calzaghe type rounds on the heavy-bag. Not a lot of hard stuff but hundreds of punches for at least 3 straight minutes.

I like jumping rope and burpees too. When you're old (I got you by almost 15 years) your legs are usually weaker than you think.
    Citizen Koba Citizen Koba likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
      Definitely I would be doing some Calzaghe type rounds on the heavy-bag. Not a lot of hard stuff but hundreds of punches for at least 3 straight minutes.

I like jumping rope and burpees too. When you're old (I got you by almost 15 years) your legs are usually weaker than you think.
      Yeah, you get pretty sore those first few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
        OK so I'm 50 and signed up to do a charity White Collar Event in early February and want to give it my very best shot. The training sessions we're offered for free are 2 x 1hr a week (Mon, Weds evening). I got some experience competitve sparring at a low level and basic punching technique - but that was from about 30 years ago. Have sparred casually many times since on the mats with guys from different martial arts for fun and get some standing practice in but it ain't the same at all.

Fitness wise my weight ain't an issue (I'm 5'11" currently 176 but expect to be around 170 come fight night) and strength is pretty good but stamina probably needs quite a bit of work (30 years of smoking until 2017 and lung damage from pneumonia 15 odd years ago).

So far I started running each morning about 2 miles on the flat (I'm by a canal), which has hurt a bit since I ain't used to it, but getting easier day by day, doing alternate days strength and circuit / cardio) about 30 minutes a time.

What I'm mainly looking for is whether any of the older dudes on here got any advice about

a) potential pitfalls
        b) whether I should be prioritising skill development or stamina given both the limited time I got to prepare (about 8 or 9 weeks) and the fact that I only got so many hours in the day.
        c) hints for training as an older man.. I'm used to going all in, but I know from experience with jujitsu that I'm more prone to injury than I was when I was younger and that I don't recover as fast... but is there any specific advice, hints, tips or hacks from your personal experience) on how that should impact or shape my boxing training?

Should I be concentrating on form and fundamentals, bag work, sparring to get some ring experience or fitness and stamina? it's only 3 x 2 mins but as a 50 y/o novice that'll be more than enough to wipe me out at any reasonable pace I'm sure. Even as a young man 3 x 3 competitve sparring would leave me a gasping, sweaty mess.

Thanks in advance gents, much appreciated. Of course I'm gonna be googling and watching videos and stuff myself, so what I'm looking for here is more about input from personal experience, although any links to particularly relevant channels or websites would be gratefully appreciated too.

Kind regards

Theo
        The bold...yeah, I'd say this is going to be the key...and hopefully you can find someone with the experience to bring you along. I think you're in need of a trainer, TBH. Just spar yourself into shape and figure out how to manage your gas tank to make it last. If you don't have that figured out, you won't have a chance. Adrenaline will gas you real fast otherwise...sparring will help you stay calm...real-time training. Focus on being able to developing the stamina to fight in a defensive shell, and let the other guy tire himself out first. Conserve your energy and when the other guy starts to huff and puff...pull the trigger. 20 minutes of wind sprints will help you fight in burst and overwhelm when you see the other guy breathing hard, maybe he drops his hands. If you focus too much on anything other than sparring, you will be too tired to spar, and nothing else will help you more. I'm assuming these guys are older guys and not very experienced...is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post

The bold...yeah, I'd say this is going to be the key...and hopefully you can find someone with the experience to bring you along. I think you're in need of a trainer, TBH. Just spar yourself into shape and figure out how to manage your gas tank to make it last. If you don't have that figured out, you won't have a chance. Adrenaline will gas you real fast otherwise...sparring will help you stay calm...real-time training. Focus on being able to developing the stamina to fight in a defensive shell, and let the other guy tire himself out first. Conserve your energy and when the other guy starts to huff and puff...pull the trigger. 20 minutes of wind sprints will help you fight in burst and overwhelm when you see the other guy breathing hard, maybe he drops his hands. If you focus too much on anything other than sparring, you will be too tired to spar, and nothing else will help you more. I'm assuming these guys are older guys and not very experienced...is that right?
          The opposition will be inexperienced but age range from 21 - 55. I coulda gone in an older guys' group 45+ but I figured i wanted the challenge. Probably gonna be matched approximately by weight and ability so I'm hoping it shouldn't be a complete mismatch either way. And I got some experience in other combat sports and used to get in street fights more often than was sensible when I was younger although I know that's not the same. Might help with keeping my head when going gets tougher though.

I already met the group and we've done a few drills and some cardio ('Hell Week' they call it, but it was just two sessions 45 mins non stop push ups, burpees, modified sit-ups, on the spot sprints, etc... you get the idea. Designed so that everyone failed at some point, more or less. Work til you drop then do some more. I held up pretty well against the youngsters but you could pick out a coupla of fitness buffs in there that'll I'll have to watch out for. Did a few punch drills and I think I'm OK there, was checking out everyone else's form while I was working and while I'm not exactly polished myself I think I got an edge with that.

In terms of a trainer I think I may have lucked out.. I was gonna go down to the local boxing gym - the one that used to be run by the guy in my sig (I did a session with their juniors a coupla weeks back cos I'm getting em to come over to give our kids at the youth club a taster session and wanted to see what they were like) and probably still will, but it's small and the seniors spots are all booked up right now. Plus their beginner sessions fall on the same day as the free training sessions we got with the White Collar thing, Mon, Weds and I'm a touch wary about over training.. (the local club is 5.30 - 6.30, White Collar 8.15 - 9.15) Probably try it either tomorrow or Weds see how I hold up though.

But what has happened since I posted the thread, one of the women who volunteers at the Youth Club (that's what I'm raising money for) with me has been in touch saying her husband's a boxing trainer and is offering to train me for free... now I haven't spoken to him, just told her to give him my number earlier today, so I've no idea how good he is, but I seem to remember her mentioning it a while back and I'm sure the word 'olympic' was in the conversation somewhere. Anyways, not holding my breath but even if the dude is halfway competent it'll be a massive boost for me. She's maybe 40 or so so I imagine her hubby will be about the same and may not know much about training older guys, but he's gotta know a fuck load more than me.

Anyways... I'll keep posting about how I go on with it... gonna need every edge I can I reckon. And thanks for the advice man, I'll try to take it on board. My thinking is I haven't got time to get really fluent so just concentrate on a few basics and getting my stamina up to where I can last the distance and still be able to throw. If this dude can give me one-on-one lessons and sparring though gonna be a massive plus.

Comment

Ah, here we go. This is the kinda thing. Few years old but this is the same franchise, same venue I'll be fighting at:

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post

The opposition will be inexperienced but age range from 21 - 55. I coulda gone in an older guys' group 45+ but I figured i wanted the challenge. Probably gonna be matched approximately by weight and ability so I'm hoping it shouldn't be a complete mismatch either way. And I got some experience in other combat sports and used to get in street fights more often than was sensible when I was younger although I know that's not the same. Might help with keeping my head when going gets tougher though.

I already met the group and we've done a few drills and some cardio ('Hell Week' they call it, but it was just two sessions 45 mins non stop push ups, burpees, modified sit-ups, on the spot sprints, etc... you get the idea. Designed so that everyone failed at some point, more or less. Work til you drop then do some more. I held up pretty well against the youngsters but you could pick out a coupla of fitness buffs in there that'll I'll have to watch out for. Did a few punch drills and I think I'm OK there, was checking out everyone else's form while I was working and while I'm not exactly polished myself I think I got an edge with that.

In terms of a trainer I think I may have lucked out.. I was gonna go down to the local boxing gym - the one that used to be run by the guy in my sig (I did a session with their juniors a coupla weeks back cos I'm getting em to come over to give our kids at the youth club a taster session and wanted to see what they were like) and probably still will, but it's small and the seniors spots are all booked up right now. Plus their beginner sessions fall on the same day as the free training sessions we got with the White Collar thing, Mon, Weds and I'm a touch wary about over training.. (the local club is 5.30 - 6.30, White Collar 8.15 - 9.15) Probably try it either tomorrow or Weds see how I hold up though.

But what has happened since I posted the thread, one of the women who volunteers at the Youth Club (that's what I'm raising money for) with me has been in touch saying her husband's a boxing trainer and is offering to train me for free... now I haven't spoken to him, just told her to give him my number earlier today, so I've no idea how good he is, but I seem to remember her mentioning it a while back and I'm sure the word 'olympic' was in the conversation somewhere. Anyways, not holding my breath but even if the dude is halfway competent it'll be a massive boost for me. She's maybe 40 or so so I imagine her hubby will be about the same and may not know much about training older guys, but he's gotta know a fuck load more than me.

Anyways... I'll keep posting about how I go on with it... gonna need every edge I can I reckon. And thanks for the advice man, I'll try to take it on board. My thinking is I haven't got time to get really fluent so just concentrate on a few basics and getting my stamina up to where I can last the distance and still be able to throw. If this dude can give me one-on-one lessons and sparring though gonna be a massive plus.
              That trainer would be a huge help and what you need...I hope it comes through. If so, ask him to be your corner man...that would also be huge.

So boxing is really different from any other combat or street fighting experience. Without that experience, you are green. You need to learn how not to get hurt. In these types of competitions, most guys just come out whaling punches and depend on their stamina to get through it. You can last the distance if you fight smart and economically, but if you just start whaling ineffective punches like most of these young guys (and many older guys), you like them will gas fast. That's one of the reasons why you need to spar to figure that out before you go in there.

An experienced trainer will help you with that, in most cases, that will be something a lot of these guys aren't going to know. The thing about the older guys willing to do this, is that in a lot of cases the reason why they will be willing to, is that they DID have that experience when they were young, and so they may actually be the wiser fighters.

If you only have 8 weeks to become a boxer, the only strength and stamina you need is punching stamina and cardio at this point, I'd say. You need to be able to keep your hands up at your face...arms and elbows protecting the body, the whole fight and without your hands feeling like they weigh 100 lbs each (and they will if you threw too many wasted punches), and you won't know if you can until you spar and tested things out. Just fighting in a shell itself takes more energy, so you need to practice that in sparring to develop the stamina to do so.

You need to learn how not to get hurt. If you can slip and move, stay calm, and punch from angles only when you can connect. Most of these guys will just gas from swinging wildly, and it will become easier as the fight progresses. Missed punches make you tired, make the guy miss (slip and move) and punch when he does (time him). Fight economically in spurts when you see the guys slowing down, be self-aware of what energy you spent in doing so, then step back and let the other guy spend that much and more if it was a bit too tiring, while you conserve energy with tight defense (face and body shelled up). If they guy is fighting with wreckless abandonment (like most of these guys will), target the stomach and that will end it quickly.

With only 8 weeks to go, spend ALL your training energy in sparring, not in boot camps at this stage.

Maybe Rockin' can come in here, he can give you better advice.
              Last edited by jaded; 12-04-2022, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Hey Citizen Koba, what is your health like today? Your body will quickly surpass any preconceived notions of what it can do once that bell rings and the ref commands you to box.

To succeed in your quest you must work hard in there. Is your body prepared for the strenuous work that is/could be in front of you?

I had a stroke at 37. I had fallen away from working out and just picked it up again. As usual, I got home from work and went outside to throw some punches. I work hard shadow boxing, lots of punches and dips/slips, push-ups, skipping the rope. Woke up the next morning and tried to kick my leg over to roll out of bed and it never moved.

All that I am saying is this is the real thing. Sure, it's at a different level but you guys are going to answer the bell with punches. You will quickly see why conditioning is so important in this sport.

Be careful. (and maybe bust this guy in his nose once for me).

If this does go down... just remember to breathe.

Have Boxing Scene sponser me and I'll come out and train you. We'll post up the bout for the forum.........................Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 12-04-2022, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I'm going to keep it real - you don't have enough time to get into shape for 3, 2 minute rounds. And with the holidays here, you've got that to contend with. Even for a young man in his prime, 6 months of hard training, proper training, is a very short time to train for 3, 2 minute rounds.

Potential Pitfalls
                  Getting knocked out in front of a crowd. We had a HW in my gym who was getting pushed to compete when he wasn't ready. He knew who I was before I was at his gym and saw my fights. Good person, good friend. I told him not to fight and don't let anybody tell him what to do. He fought anyway from being pressured and got dusted in front of a full house, splayed out cold. Ended up on heroin, od'd, and died a few years later.

Prioritizing Skill Development or Stamina
                  Stamina. All you need is a 1-2 to win with a lot of 1's. But 8-9 weeks during the holidays without a trainer working with you everyday, it's not enough time. If I was training you, I would do peck & shoot drills for a lot of your workout. Get your mind trained to be reactionary. I would have your sparring, controlled, for 3x/week. And for you, spar at the beginning of the workout, do not spar after a workout, trust me on this. Get wrapped first, calisthenics (5-10 minutes) to limber up, shadowbox at 25% (just lightly), and do those rounds. After your sparring get right on the bag for 3 rounds, then do your workout.

Training as an Older Man
                  You're old and only you know what you can or can't do. You're at the age when you can bend over to tie your shoe and throw out your back and sciatica. One wrong punch and hurt yourself, etc.

1. Don't do any wind sprints and don't run hard is my advice. Don't push yourself hard and if you push at all do it lightly and incrementally. Jog for time not distance. Also, jump rope for time not distance. Don't skip rounds and rest (it's all bs), start with 5 minutes straight, next day 6 minutes straight, etc. Build up to 15 minutes and call it a day (20 minutes max is pushing it hard for a 50 year-old).

2. If they have a squat rack there, might be an idea to do squats 1x/week at the beginning of the week. Low weight (start with the bar and inch your way up, next week do 10's, next week do 20's and stop there), perfect form (don't go too low and never let your knees over your toes) just low enough to feel it, high reps (15, 20 max), 3 sets, done - see you next week. Squats always helped my stamina and made running easier. Don't do lunges with dumbells.

3. After EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT drink GLUTAMINE or get a glutamine supplement. Stretch at the end of your workouts too. Within 30 minutes of finishing your workout, get Vitamin C in your body.

For a man your age, you need a year in the gym. I would not recommend you fighting in Feb, especially if you're a smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by War Room View Post
                    I'm going to keep it real - you don't have enough time to get into shape for 3, 2 minute rounds. And with the holidays here, you've got that to contend with. Even for a young man in his prime, 6 months of hard training, proper training, is a very short time to train for 3, 2 minute rounds.

Potential Pitfalls
                    Getting knocked out in front of a crowd. We had a HW in my gym who was getting pushed to compete when he wasn't ready. He knew who I was before I was at his gym and saw my fights. Good person, good friend. I told him not to fight and don't let anybody tell him what to do. He fought anyway from being pressured and got dusted in front of a full house, splayed out cold. Ended up on heroin, od'd, and died a few years later.

Prioritizing Skill Development or Stamina
                    Stamina. All you need is a 1-2 to win with a lot of 1's. But 8-9 weeks during the holidays without a trainer working with you everyday, it's not enough time. If I was training you, I would do peck & shoot drills for a lot of your workout. Get your mind trained to be reactionary. I would have your sparring, controlled, for 3x/week. And for you, spar at the beginning of the workout, do not spar after a workout, trust me on this. Get wrapped first, calisthenics (5-10 minutes) to limber up, shadowbox at 25% (just lightly), and do those rounds. After your sparring get right on the bag for 3 rounds, then do your workout.

Training as an Older Man
                    You're old and only you know what you can or can't do. You're at the age when you can bend over to tie your shoe and throw out your back and sciatica. One wrong punch and hurt yourself, etc.

1. Don't do any wind sprints and don't run hard is my advice. Don't push yourself hard and if you push at all do it lightly and incrementally. Jog for time not distance. Also, jump rope for time not distance. Don't skip rounds and rest (it's all bs), start with 5 minutes straight, next day 6 minutes straight, etc. Build up to 15 minutes and call it a day (20 minutes max is pushing it hard for a 50 year-old).

2. If they have a squat rack there, might be an idea to do squats 1x/week at the beginning of the week. Low weight (start with the bar and inch your way up, next week do 10's, next week do 20's and stop there), perfect form (don't go too low and never let your knees over your toes) just low enough to feel it, high reps (15, 20 max), 3 sets, done - see you next week. Squats always helped my stamina and made running easier. Don't do lunges with dumbells.

3. After EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT drink GLUTAMINE or get a glutamine supplement. Stretch at the end of your workouts too. Within 30 minutes of finishing your workout, get Vitamin C in your body.

For a man your age, you need a year in the gym. I would not recommend you fighting in Feb, especially if you're a smoker.
                    Thanks man, appreciate the input. I will be meeting up with my (potential) trainer today or tomorrow and will take his advice, but bear in mind any potential opponent will be facing most of the same challenges that I will, lack of training time, lack of skill etc. I've had a look at the potential opposition and most of em are in no better shape than me, even the ones who are 10 or 20 years younger.

I am going to do this but if necessary - and if that's what I'm advised - I will postpone it to get a few more months training in. There's no reason it has to be the February event, but I do want a target to work towards and equally time ain't on my side with regards to my age so I ain't gonna spend two years training before I get in the ring, not at this level at least.

And I'm not a smoker any more, packed in 5 years ago when my youngest was born although obvs 30 years smoking ain't left my breathing in tip top shape. Sorry to hear about your friend, man, but it's unlikely I'll be suffering the same fate, I lived a pretty rough kinda life, had the shit kicked outta me a good few times over the years, hadda dust myself off, pick myself up. I already been a heroin addict (16 years - came out the other side in 2015) and a homeless alcoholic... kinda dude you'll see in a shop doorway with a polystyrene cup. Shoulda died a buncha times over. I know what rock bottom is and I also know what it is to be hurt - really hurt - physically. I also know my strengths and my vulnerabilities pretty well by now. That ain't my fear... I'm acceptant of the possibility I could lose, maybe even badly but I ain't gonna let that stand in my way.

Running hard ain't a good idea anyway since I got a dicey knee (had it stomped in a fight in about '98). Had an ACL op plus some cartlilege trimmed 20 years ago but it's never gonna be like new... in fact I'm considering swapping my morning run with cycling to reduce the load bearing impact although I'm a bit wary if the roads start icing.

Will heed your advice on the glutamine probably, you ain't the first to mention it, and I can get access to a squat rack if needed, no problem, will look into that too.

Once again, thanks for the pointers.

T

Comment

Working...
                    X