Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumbbell curles and punching - is it worth it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post

I should also recommend Static training and half bicep curls if your on a heavy day to throw in . I do a ton of static training because it fatigues the muscle more and strengthening joints holding a weight in place it’s ideal fir other things like arm wrestling , grappling any martial art or striking forms etc…as well . Static training is a holding tool where you’ll be able intensify the entire arm without full range motion . I might be doing some today maybe I’ll post a vid …haha

All about shocking the muscles . This was my second set on a moderate day .

https://youtu.be/x0afaNC-Vm4

https://youtu.be/0fEqlA3Tu-w

I admit that I barely do biceps on their own, not sure why.
    juggernaut666 juggernaut666 likes this.

Comment

Being strong of course helps
      punching power. But how long are you doing curls vs how long are you practicing punching technique?

It’s all a balance if you are training to be a boxer weights should be a minor part of your training. Curls for the girls but make sure being swole doesn’t get in the way of mastering your craft .

A quick well placed punch does much more damage than and big heavy loaded up punch .

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

I admit that I barely do biceps on their own, not sure why.
        I actually lifted that prior to messing up the video it wasn’t recording and I never got the form back but compound movements are key don’t think just bicep remember the punch is a compound and compact flow ..it uses a lot of other muscles. What I’m doing there is fatigue the arm and condition it to hold tremendous weight coming at me …ppl will ask what that has to do with boxing but it’s overall strength it’s not a boxing thing .

You only hit as hard as your ligaments will allow . So the end of end question does any lifting help is a an answer in itself,you just to train right any sports athlete will never tell you not to lift weights if they are interviewed because they know it gives them an advantage . I got a lot of crazy lifts I do if I can post I will ,I encourage all boxers , martial artists etc..to improve.
        Dempsey1895_ TheDempseyKid likes this.

Comment

I actually lifted that prior to messing up the video it wasn’t recording and I never got the form back but compound movements are key don’t think just bicep remember the punch is a compound and compact flow ..it uses a lot of other muscles. What I’m doing there is fatigue the arm and condition it to hold tremendous weight coming at me …ppl will ask what that has to do with boxing but it’s overall strength it’s not a boxing thing .

You only hit as hard as your ligaments will allow . So the end of end question does any lifting help is a an answer in itself,you just to train right any sports athlete will never tell you not to lift weights if they are interviewed because they know it gives them an advantage . I got a lot of crazy lifts I do if I can post I will ,I encourage all boxers , martial artists etc..to improve.
          Ironically I do triceps a lot, but never biceps on their own.,

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

Ironically I do triceps a lot, but never biceps on their own.,
            Each muscle works different triceps are definitely more a compound motion it’s bigger then the bicep and works as a more supporting factor depends what your doing ? Biceps are usually working by themselves they are not connected towards the larger part of the shoulder , ppl with strong biceps must have above average strength there because triceps are supposed to be the majority of the muscles in you upper arm . Straight punchers usually benefit from this more . It’s mostly tricep thrusting on the back of the arm , hooking is more biceps , lats and leverage it’s got that advantage concerning power generation . There’s more behind a hook punch / committed body ones .
            Last edited by juggernaut666; 06-22-2023, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Each muscle works different triceps are definitely more a compound motion it’s bigger then the bicep and works as a more supporting factor depends what your doing ? Biceps are usually working by themselves they are not connected towards the larger part of the shoulder , ppl with strong biceps must have above average strength there because triceps are supposed to be the majority of the muscles in you upper arm . Straight punchers usually benefit from this more . It’s mostly tricep thrusting on the back of the arm , hooking is more biceps , lats and leverage it’s got that advantage concerning power generation . There’s more behind a hook punch / committed body ones .
              When I used to overtrain, I would spend a whole workout just on biceps
              juggernaut666 juggernaut666 likes this.

Comment

For me, using very light dumbbells during shadow boxing helps with coordination, endurance and technique. It allows me to focus on speed and fluidity rather than adding resistance. As for curling higher weights, it can help build strength in the muscles used during punching. However, punching power isn't solely dependent on bicep strength. It involves multiple muscle groups and technique. While increasing curling weight may lead to initial gains, there's a point of diminishing returns. Overloading the biceps excessively could negatively impact technique.

In my experience, it's best to find a balance. Incorporating dumbbell curls alongside other boxing-specific workouts, like plyometrics, core exercises, and bag training, can create a well-rounded approach to enhancing punching power.
                Last edited by MarvB; 07-06-2023, 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist89 View Post
                  So we know shadow boxing with very light dumbbells is standard, but how about curling higher weights? Does it increase punching power, and at what point do you reach diminishing returns?
                  For (free) information on weight training, I suggest going to baye dot com.
                  In general, strengthening muscles involved in boxing has two benefits: 1) improved performance, and 2) injury prevention.
                  The biceps have two functions: supination of the forearms, and flexion of elbow. Both--especially flexion--are important for boxing; some of the power of uppercuts and hooks is dependent on flexion. Additionally, biceps are commonly injured in boxing when landing these punches; the stronger the biceps and connective tissues attaching them to the bone, the less likely one will be to injure them.
                  Maximizing--or nearly maximizing--the strength of the biceps and brachialis (involved when curling or throwing punches with the thumb up; also used when "turning over" punches) typically requires only 2-4 sets of curls and hammer curls per week provided these sets are performed correctly (slowly and to momentary muscular failure within 40-120 seconds).

OctoberRed OctoberRed likes this.

Comment

I don't really love many isolation exercises for boxing because it's time you're taking out of your day that could be used for skill improvements.

Think about it this way. Which will increase your power more:

1. A little more muscle, which will also have a negative effect on your gas tank (and remember force is mass times acceleration, which means at the basic level your power is determined by how much of your body mass is involved in the punch, and how fast you can get that mass moving), and if it's the wrong type of muscle, will slow your strikes down. All the strength in the world doesn't matter if you can't hit your target.
                    2. Improving your technique so you're more efficient and have a better kinetic chain, while also getting reps in to practice being defensively responsible and targeting, etc?

I like strength training, but prefer it to be focused on compound movements, especially ones that can aid in explosiveness and endurance. The best way to get better at something is always going to be doing it. Other things should be used to improve areas of weakness, get past training plateaus, or some other specific purpose, IMO.
                    OctoberRed OctoberRed likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
                      I don't really love many isolation exercises for boxing because it's time you're taking out of your day that could be used for skill improvements.

Think about it this way. Which will increase your power more:

1. A little more muscle, which will also have a negative effect on your gas tank (and remember force is mass times acceleration, which means at the basic level your power is determined by how much of your body mass is involved in the punch, and how fast you can get that mass moving), and if it's the wrong type of muscle, will slow your strikes down. All the strength in the world doesn't matter if you can't hit your target.
                      2. Improving your technique so you're more efficient and have a better kinetic chain, while also getting reps in to practice being defensively responsible and targeting, etc?

I like strength training, but prefer it to be focused on compound movements, especially ones that can aid in explosiveness and endurance. The best way to get better at something is always going to be doing it. Other things should be used to improve areas of weakness, get past training plateaus, or some other specific purpose, IMO.
                      Solid points here.

Comment

Working...
                      X