No announcement yet.

Training people in boxing without having fought yourself

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darlo18 View Post
    This might sound a strange question and I'm sure a fair few people will be very much against the idea. I've been training in boxing for maybe seven years, I started later in life (29) so was never gonna be the next Roy Jones Junior and I know my limitations. I've done a great deal of sparring over the years and was going to have my first fight few years back but the opponent cancelled. Then when I was supposed to finally fight COVID-19 intervened and I went into lockdown.

I'm working in an incredibly poor country right now with very limited opportunities for young people to learn new sport to a decent level. I also work for a youth organisation so see the impact of high gang membership and also a lot of young men who have been bullied and are struggling with self esteem.

I'm a social worker and my role is to be a positive role model. I'd love to teach them a few boxing techniques. Nothing sophisticated, I'm well aware I don't have the credentials to be a great trainer. But how to throw a decent straight punch. How to block punches, cover up or use footwork to evade (Self defence). Get the young people to build a boxing bag for the youth centre and teach them how to make one so they can feel like they've contributed. Try and give the kids an outlet for their aggression without them getting mixed up in the gangs.

I guess I'm scared of my lack of experience in coaching and also the fact I haven't fought. Is it better to teach them a bit imperfectly given their arent any other options nearby for them or leave it well alone? There aren't really any gyms anywhere nearby but obviously if a kid really stood out I'd try and get support so he could access higher quality training in the capital.
    Sounds like excuses to me. If you have no ring experience...how are you going to teach them to adapt when things aren't going their way? Put on your social worker hat and tell them that sometimes a loss can be considered a win? Harden up. Get in the ring and have that fight....then you can pass on the wisdom you learnt from adversity. Otherwise you will teach these thugs how to fight...then they will use it to beat the shet out of you as they take your wallet.

Comment

You are right mate I should have fought sooner for sure, its something I regret a fair bit and I allowed lockdown to set me back a bit instead of staying fight ready for when we emerged from it. I am planning to fight in August and and have two more before New Year so hoping to get that experience soon.

Comment

Originally posted by darlo18 View Post
        You are right mate I should have fought sooner for sure, its something I regret a fair bit and I allowed lockdown to set me back a bit instead of staying fight ready for when we emerged from it. I am planning to fight in August and and have two more before New Year so hoping to get that experience soon.
        Keep us updated for sure.

Comment

Would you take shooting lessons from a man who never fired a gun?

Same thing....

Eventually somebody is going to get hurt.

And to the kid actually competing in this great sport: Around here you may hold your head high around these know nothins.

When that bell rings fight hard. Whether it's sparring or competing, you'll grow if you do.

Do not forget about the running/jogging.

Do keep us posted. And good luck...........Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 04-08-2022, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            Would you take shooting lessons from a man who never fired a gun?

Same thing....

Eventually somebody is going to get hurt.

And to the kid actually competing in this great sport: Around here you may hold your head high around these know nothins.

When that bell rings fight hard. Whether it's sparring or competing, you'll grow if you do.

Do not forget about the running/jogging.

Do keep us posted. And good luck...........Rockin'
            What about Pavlik's trainer? Or Danny Garcia's trainer? There are a few situations, especially in father/son teams, where the father or gym owner who discovered the boxer had never fought as a pro or amateur.

Comment

There are exceptions for many things. I just know that I felt more comfortable/trust from words of experience. Not off of the top of the head assumptions.............Rockin'
              Last edited by Rockin'; 04-09-2022, 05:11 PM.

Comment

There are exceptions for many things. I just know that I felt more comfortable/trust from words of experience. Not off of the top of the head assumption.............Rockin'
                How did that play out for you? are you a pro? whats your record?

edit: it reads like I am trying to be smart but thats not the case I promise just inquisitive.
                Last edited by TheBoxGod; 04-09-2022, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxGod View Post

How did that play out for you? are you a pro? whats your record?

edit: it reads like I am trying to be smart but thats not the case I promise just inquisitive.
                  It worked out just fine. I turned pro out of a world class stable, after boxing amateur out of Detroit for 7 years, and was quickly fighting at the Palace of Auburn Hills (back when Tuesday night fights was big on USA cable) as a pro. I fought at the Palace in my 2nd and 3rd pro bouts, I also fought there as an amateur where it was Team Michigan vs Team Sugar Ray Leonard and then against Team Jimmy Ellis. When I started up boxing all that I was looking for out of it was to be able to walk where I wanted while being more than efficient enough with my fists, and making those fools, in the street, miss with their BS punches. I more than achieved that goal.

Turning pro under Jackie was just the natural progression of things. After boxing out of the same amateur gym with James and Jackie, she was always around sitting on the chairs at the gym while we warred, just observing. We'd often talk while I was wrapping up. Then I sat on a couch at a party one night and watched James knock Michael Nunn TFO winning the Middleweight title, I called Jackie, a day or two later, and she said that she thought that it was a great idea for me to turn pro. Jackie and I never signed a contract but she still handled my business as any good/great manager would. Jackie was, and I'm sure still is, simply great!

So one day, after not fighting for too long I told Jackie to get me a fight at the Palace. A day or two later, as I am walking in to the gym, she calls me in to her office while she's pointing at the phone and smiling. It's the Palace, she says. They have a guy that they want you to fight. Cool, I say. How many fights does this guy have? He's 1-0 just like you are, she said. Knowing nothing more than what she told me I said to take the fight. So I show up that night, get interviewed by Sean O'grady and Marv Albert, and fought him. During the interview I saw my opponents stat sheet in the pile of papers on the table. He had just moved to Canada from Ghanna, Africa. I read some other stuff about him but when I saw his height I was shocked, 6'3". I moved up a weight class, from my normal weight to fight him. But 6'3", wtf?

Sheet happened and they call me back on the next show. After being ill and fighting with a lung infection on the last show, and losing a SD in that bout the Palace Promoter pulled me in to his office and offered to build me. He said that the people just loved me and that they wanted to build me. I told him that I'm done (long story there).

Funny thing is that I've had to deal with loud mouth as$holes in here, in Highschool, it seemed every where I went there was someone talking their sheet. I know what happens when I turn around and say oh yeah, throw something tough guy. You 'tough guys' fold like beatchs, cvnts to be more specific. I am not calling the boxing god a cvnt, but the people who love to talk sheet, from the safe space in front of their computers, I am certainly calling wet, juicy cvnts that I would love the oppertunity to just smash.

Like I said, I've thrown fists with world class fighters, been around some world class trainers. And let me just add that being a white kid fighting out of Detroit was no easy task. My trainer as a pro was black. He took me all over Detroit, to the rec centers, to get me the toughest work that he could find. He'd slam the large steel door against the cinderblock walls, when ever we'd enter the gym, and yell: I got a little whiteboy here says he's agonna kick all yo all as$es, who's first. Needless to say I found tough work.

On my record I have a speeding and a couple of peeing in public tickets. I have served no time.

I got what I wanted from the sport. And even though I am disabled now I know that I can more than protect myself. Again, I got what I wanted from the sport. The Palace and TV appearances, who I came up with and fighting for Jackie were all just bonuses of boxing out of the great city of Detroit.

Did I ever mention that I designed Jackies Galaxy logo when I was like 17 or so. The one that James wore on his robes and trunks.

Hope this gives you more insight. Peace...............Rockin'
                  Last edited by Rockin'; 04-09-2022, 08:15 PM.

Comment

There are exceptions for many things. I just know that I felt more comfortable/trust from words of experience. Not off of the top of the head assumptions.............Rockin'
                    And the trainer of champions, BJ Flores!
                    Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

You have to have been a fighter or else apprenticed under an experienced trainer in order to coach boxing. Otherwise what are you teaching people and where did you conjure it from?
                      Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X