Sparring Tips pls.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markusmod View Post

Siablo has been watching videos of Jeff Mayweather training tips
    He can do whatever he wants. His minds eye will be trained to watch it happening. My minds eye has been trained to see it before it happens and my body has been trained to make it happen.
    Easy work...........Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 03-24-2022, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StussyyyBrownnn View Post
      Ive only been boxing for 3 months, I decided to train in a new gym today and i paid to spar, respectfully of course. And i was shocked that the coach did a full on winded up hook to start our session. We didnt talk about the intensity before the session but i understand that it is their gym and their rules. Its just that in my home gym we dont usually hard spar. Ive also read before that only 20% of sparring sessions should be hard. I am fairly new to boxing training so i dunno any better at this point.

I actually learned so much more in this hard spar session than i did in my previous soft spar sessions. But im not used to the speed and the power and i definitely got flustered. He was a much taller and longer guy than i was, he probably had a 4 inch height advantage over me and a big reach advantage. I struggled getting inside as i ate counter hooks after counter hooks. I made adjustments such as pawing my jab at his lead hand, im a soutpaw btw, which worked as i got inside more often. But my aggression once inside was still pedestrian at best.

As a southpaw ive struggled to deal with that check left hook as a smaller guy. What adjustments can i make that can lead to offense? I tried the pawing at the lead hand, but it feels more like just a way to avoid the left hook than to start my offense off.

What is the rule of thumb when it comes to sparring? Any tips on how to manage and succeed, and how to manage the size/hand speed/punch power as well? Thank you.
      Don't just paw at his lead hand. Knock it out of the way and then punch him in his face with your jab.

With the check hook, is he catching you when you are trying to jab? Learn sharp feints, draw him out and bust him in his nose with your jab or power shot. Feints are great!!! And every boxer should use them. When he check hooks you just cover with your glove open over your ear while rolling your shoulder, and hips, to the left and catch the shot on your glove. In time you may see that this move sets you up perfectly to bust him in his nose with your left fist. I hope that you can visualize this, if you can than you are on your way to doing it one day. Remember this and you've got to try this in sparring. First just catch the shot. Then catch the shot with the rotation. Then catch the shot with the rotation and then pound your fist in to his nose. Try it in the mirror first doe, memorize the proper movements.

Oh yeah, a general rule when facing an opponent who is in the opposite stance: Hooks and power shots. Jabs you will find against the opposite stance are very tough to land. Unless you learn sharp feints.

When boxing a guy in the opposite stance always keep your lead glove higher than his, knock his lead glove down and then bust him in his face with your jab.

But this guy is taller than you. So get low and bust some straight lefts into his ribs.
      Good luck ..............Rockin'
      Last edited by Rockin'; 03-27-2022, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X