No announcement yet.

Sparring Tips pls.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring Tips pls.

Ive only been boxing for 3 months, I decided to train in a new gym today and i paid to spar, respectfully of course. And i was shocked that the coach did a full on winded up hook to start our session. We didnt talk about the intensity before the session but i understand that it is their gym and their rules. Its just that in my home gym we dont usually hard spar. Ive also read before that only 20% of sparring sessions should be hard. I am fairly new to boxing training so i dunno any better at this point.

I actually learned so much more in this hard spar session than i did in my previous soft spar sessions. But im not used to the speed and the power and i definitely got flustered. He was a much taller and longer guy than i was, he probably had a 4 inch height advantage over me and a big reach advantage. I struggled getting inside as i ate counter hooks after counter hooks. I made adjustments such as pawing my jab at his lead hand, im a soutpaw btw, which worked as i got inside more often. But my aggression once inside was still pedestrian at best.

As a southpaw ive struggled to deal with that check left hook as a smaller guy. What adjustments can i make that can lead to offense? I tried the pawing at the lead hand, but it feels more like just a way to avoid the left hook than to start my offense off.

What is the rule of thumb when it comes to sparring? Any tips on how to manage and succeed, and how to manage the size/hand speed/punch power as well? Thank you.
    Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Originally posted by StussyyyBrownnn View Post
    Ive only been boxing for 3 months, I decided to train in a new gym today and i paid to spar, respectfully of course. And i was shocked that the coach did a full on winded up hook to start our session. We didnt talk about the intensity before the session but i understand that it is their gym and their rules. Its just that in my home gym we dont usually hard spar. Ive also read before that only 20% of sparring sessions should be hard. I am fairly new to boxing training so i dunno any better at this point.

I actually learned so much more in this hard spar session than i did in my previous soft spar sessions. But im not used to the speed and the power and i definitely got flustered. He was a much taller and longer guy than i was, he probably had a 4 inch height advantage over me and a big reach advantage. I struggled getting inside as i ate counter hooks after counter hooks. I made adjustments such as pawing my jab at his lead hand, im a soutpaw btw, which worked as i got inside more often. But my aggression once inside was still pedestrian at best.

As a southpaw ive struggled to deal with that check left hook as a smaller guy. What adjustments can i make that can lead to offense? I tried the pawing at the lead hand, but it feels more like just a way to avoid the left hook than to start my offense off.

What is the rule of thumb when it comes to sparring? Any tips on how to manage and succeed, and how to manage the size/hand speed/punch power as well? Thank you.
    As a general rule: Punch him in his face, when he tries to punch you back, move your face.

What level would you like to achieve with this sport?

Are you looking to compete? ...............Rockin'

Comment

Actually, my apologies for my previous comment.

I'm assuming that your opponent is orthodox. Trying to think this thing through as a south paw gets me tangled in my mind, I'm just going to spit it and we'll see where this goes.

To lead in, get low and shoot your left fist in to his ribs. Get under his jab and bust him in his ribcage, immediately bring a hook upstairs right behind it.

I think this maybe too advanced for you, but try it. Once you get this down boxing an orthodox fighter will be like cake walking for you. Let him shoot his jabs, get his timing clocked. Get that timing, then slip his jab to the outside while sticking your left hand out. He'll run right in to it. Once you get a feel for this move you can then start putting some power in to it.

Good luck.

And be sure to move your face when applicable.......................Rockin'
      Last edited by Rockin'; 03-27-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

Actually, my apologies for my previous comment.

I'm assuming that your opponent is orthodox. Trying to think this thing through as a south paw gets me tangled in my mind, I'm just going to spit it and we'll see where this goes.

To lead in, get low and shoot your left fist in to his ribs. Get under his jab and bust him in his ribcage, immediately bring a hook upstairs right behind it.

I think this maybe too advanced for you, but try it. Once you get this down an orthodox fighter will be cake walking. Let him shoot his jabs, get his timing clocked. Get that timing, then slip his jab to the outside while sticking your left hand out. He'll run right in to it. Once you get a feel for this move you can then start putting some power in to it.

Good luck.

And be sure to move your face when applicable.......................Rockin'
        After reading this I'm making you a much bigger favorite against Siablo.

Comment

Keep your right hand high to block or parry, pivot to your right and try and counter with the straight left up the middle. Obviously easier said than done depending on the quality of your opponent.

Pacquiao is a good example of a smaller southpaw who would counter the left hook. It was a big part of Cotto’s, Oscar’s and Hatton’s offence, those would be fights to analyse if you study film.

A massive tip when fighting an orthodox fighter is try and make sure your lead foot is on the outside of your opponents lead foot, so your right foot is to the right of his left if that makes sense. It helps a lot with angles to land punches and movement.
          Last edited by RJJ-94-02=GOAT; 02-14-2022, 10:29 PM.
          Haka Haka likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post

Keep your right hand high to block or parry, pivot to your right and try and counter with the straight left up the middle. Obviously easier said than done depending on the quality of your opponent.

Pacquiao is a good example of a smaller southpaw who would counter the left hook. It was a big part of Cotto’s, Oscar’s and Hatton’s offence, those would be fights to analyse if you study film.

A massive tip when fighting an orthodox fighter is try and make sure your lead foot is on the outside of your opponents lead foot, so your right foot is to the right of his left if that makes sense. It helps a lot with angles to land punches and movement.
            Canelo seems to be using some of these tactics.

Comment

Try to hit without getting hit.

Comment

Be first........
                Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by markusmod View Post

After reading this I'm making you a much bigger favorite against Siablo.
                  Was there even a question of me knocking Siablo from pillar to post, rinsing and repeating.....................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

Was there even a question of me knocking Siablo from pillar to post, rinsing and repeating.....................Rockin'
                    Siablo has been watching videos of Jeff Mayweather training tips

Comment

Working...
                    X