Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh i got it..so kind of u brother..good info

Comment

Originally posted by vigneshwarv View Post
      i watch a lotta boxing bouts. wel i hav a doubt.. my trainer always suggests us to hook oly when the oppenent is close.but in boxing bouts they hook lik a swinging their hand n they hit the opponent.. can anyone explain how its done??
      i cant get any training video for swinging ...
      As a general rule, your coach is right, hooks were meant to be thrown on the inside. But, it's all in the timing, so yeah, it's okay to throw those lunging hooks if you time it right, but if you guess wrong, well, you might just end up like Vicky Flattened, lol

The guy who threw a lunging hook but he timed it right was Joe Frazier when he kd'd Ali in their first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by vigneshwarv View Post
        hi dude can u plz explain me how its done..it wud really help me cos since im nt a pro boxer.throwing a lunging hook wil be a key in the amatuer boxing tournament coming up for me..
        It will be a key factor in you losing if you throw lunging hooks. Your trainer is right in that a hook is a close range punch and should be short and compact. Do not lunge with a hook as you will miss and get caught with a counter. Never try to replicate what veteran pros do in the ring, especially the ones with abnormal reflexes and speed. Ninety nine % of amateurs trying a leaping or lunging hook will simply miss and then get hit because they cannot do it, do not have the experience, training or physique to pull it off. As you're not a pro, just keep your hooks short, sharp, compact and quick. You will land more, harder and not get hit because of missing a punch that you should not have thrown in the first place.

Get in close and then throw short, compact hooks and keep your right glove up!

As for defense, I believe someone said it doesn't matter if it's a jab, hook or straight right, you can duck all of them, which is unfortunately not good or correct advise.

You don't bob under a jab. You slip, block or parry a jab. There are certain defensive moves for certain punches and not all are the same. You can block or bob under a hook, yes, but the defense for a jab and hook is very different. If you try to block a hook the way you would a jab you're going to get a huge hook landing right on your chin.

When in close make sure you keep your guard high and tight and keep your shots as short, compact and quick as you can pulling everything back in to that tight guard after each combo. This alone, if you follow it, will keep you from getting caught in close a lot.

As has already been said, you will also lose most of your power if you throw a hook from long range. The twisting motion of your legs, hips and waist is what generates the power and doing this from long range negates all of that. Don't throw hooks from long range.
        Last edited by BennyST; 06-07-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by We want Floyd View Post
          As a general rule, your coach is right, hooks were meant to be thrown on the inside. But, it's all in the timing, so yeah, it's okay to throw those lunging hooks if you time it right, but if you guess wrong, well, you might just end up like Vicky Flattened, lol

The guy who threw a lunging hook but he timed it right was Joe Frazier when he kd'd Ali in their first fight.
          thnk u boss

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            It will be a key factor in you losing if you throw lunging hooks. Your trainer is right in that a hook is a close range punch and should be short and compact. Do not lunge with a hook as you will miss and get caught with a counter. Never try to replicate what veteran pros do in the ring, especially the ones with abnormal reflexes and speed. Ninety nine % of amateurs trying a leaping or lunging hook will simply miss and then get hit because they cannot do it, do not have the experience, training or physique to pull it off. As you're not a pro, just keep your hooks short, sharp, compact and quick. You will land more, harder and not get hit because of missing a punch that you should not have thrown in the first place.

Get in close and then throw short, compact hooks and keep your right glove up!

As for defense, I believe someone said it doesn't matter if it's a jab, hook or straight right, you can duck all of them, which is unfortunately not good or correct advise.

You don't bob under a jab. You slip, block or parry a jab. There are certain defensive moves for certain punches and not all are the same. You can block or bob under a hook, yes, but the defense for a jab and hook is very different. If you try to block a hook the way you would a jab you're going to get a huge hook landing right on your chin.

When in close make sure you keep your guard high and tight and keep your shots as short, compact and quick as you can pulling everything back in to that tight guard after each combo. This alone, if you follow it, will keep you from getting caught in close a lot.

As has already been said, you will also lose most of your power if you throw a hook from long range. The twisting motion of your legs, hips and waist is what generates the power and doing this from long range negates all of that. Don't throw hooks from long range.
            thnk u so much boss.. it was a gr8 info.. i hav one more doubt.. the famous coach Don familton says tat left hooks are thrown only when the opponents throws you a jab or straight right hand.but obviously tat ll be a lunging hook na..?? what do u say?

Comment

I LOVE mid-range and close range hooks. I can throw them with both hands.

Comment

Working...
              X