No announcement yet.

Hooks and defense

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooks and defense

i watch a lotta boxing bouts. wel i hav a doubt.. my trainer always suggests us to hook oly when the oppenent is close.but in boxing bouts they hook lik a swinging their hand n they hit the opponent.. can anyone explain how its done??
    i cant get any training video for swinging ...

defense

N coming to defense part.. we usually bob or weave for the hooks..
    its gettin really very difficult for me to identify a hook thrown to me and then to bob and weave..? my trainer suggests me to do sit ups.. i usually do around 50 situps for a workout.. plz giv ya advice

Comment

Originally posted by vigneshwarv View Post
      its gettin really very difficult for me to identify a hook thrown to me and then to bob and weave..? my trainer suggests me to do sit ups.. i usually do around 50 situps for a workout.. plz giv ya advice
      throwing from far leaves you open longer and the opponent can see it coming easier. when up close, straight punches are not so effective, so naturally, the hooks and uppercuts are used. and also,timing the hooks takes awhile. you'll get it though.

Comment

generally speaking the most effective hook the a mide to close ranged compact hook. thats how you utilize the power from it. a lot of fighters do throw them a little longer just to reach the opponent buts its preference. it isnt going to hit nearly as hard as a mid to close range one. look at tysons hooks, they all hit from mid to close ranged and you know what happened there. lunging hooks are a different thing from long range. it uses your body momentum coming forward on top of the hook. its a whole different movement. roy jones and maywaether did this a lot and im sure you can find a few tyson ones. as far as defense its just training your eyes. it really doesnt matter if its a hook jab or straight because you can bob under them regardless. youll eventually be able to distinguish if its a jab or a hook or a straight or a hook coming and react accordingly. 50 situps is more for the everyday average person who is looking to stay in a shape. roy jones jr does 3 different ab exercises 4 sets each. Declined situps, leglifts and crunches. each set is 100 reps for each one so you do 100 situps then 100 leglifts then 100 crunches and you go back to situps. do it a total of 4 times = 1200 total reps. this is the kind of condition a boxer needs to take those body shots and to strengthen and condition the core.

Comment

i watch a lotta boxing bouts. wel i hav a doubt.. my trainer always suggests us to hook oly when the oppenent is close.but in boxing bouts they hook lik a swinging their hand n they hit the opponent.. can anyone explain how its done??
          i cant get any training video for swinging ...
          Ye with the long hook is useful but not for power, its very difficult to explain how to do it in words but start off throwing almost a straight punch bringing your elbow up and twisting your hand so that your turning it over more than you would for a straight shot so the top of your hand is nearly facing you. To get more power you use a sort of slight downward punching motion and get the body behind it.

The only time i've ever seen this punch effectively used is to finish off a combo defensively. For example jab cross and step back with the long hook, your looking to catch them on your way back out or keep them away from ye. It's not a punch I like myself

As for 50 sit up a day - go on youtube and learn a proper variation of ab excercises

Comment

sounds like your new to boxing, sorry if I'm wrong, experience will give you all that, keep sparring and 50 situps a work out? need to pick that up if your serious about boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by colly10 View Post
              Ye with the long hook is useful but not for power, its very difficult to explain how to do it in words but start off throwing almost a straight punch bringing your elbow up and twisting your hand so that your turning it over more than you would for a straight shot so the top of your hand is nearly facing you. To get more power you use a sort of slight downward punching motion and get the body behind it.

The only time i've ever seen this punch effectively used is to finish off a combo defensively. For example jab cross and step back with the long hook, your looking to catch them on your way back out or keep them away from ye. It's not a punch I like myself

As for 50 sit up a day - go on youtube and learn a proper variation of ab excercises

hi dude can u plz explain me how its done..it wud really help me cos since im nt a pro boxer.throwing a lunging hook wil be a key in the amatuer boxing tournament coming up for me..

Comment

hi dude can u plz explain me how its done..it wud really help me cos since im nt a pro boxer.throwing a lunging hook wil be a key in the amatuer boxing tournament coming up for me..
                dont throw any lunging hooks, jumping i with hooks is rarely a good idea especially if u are new to boxing like it seems u are. unless u have superior timing (which comes from experience more than anything) most likely u will just leave yourself open to be countered. the only way u should be throwing long range hooks is if u are tall for your weightclass, then it wouldnt be wrong hook of the jab a little from distance to set up your right hand. it wont be a hard hook, pretty much like a jab. u throw it to keep your oponent guessing and set up the right. a lot of kronk fighter were effective with this. i saw jonathon banks throw a 1-3-2 n knock someone out in germany. tommy hearns the king of all kronk fighters was excellent at it too.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                  dont throw any lunging hooks, jumping i with hooks is rarely a good idea especially if u are new to boxing like it seems u are. unless u have superior timing (which comes from experience more than anything) most likely u will just leave yourself open to be countered. the only way u should be throwing long range hooks is if u are tall for your weightclass, then it wouldnt be wrong hook of the jab a little from distance to set up your right hand. it wont be a hard hook, pretty much like a jab. u throw it to keep your oponent guessing and set up the right. a lot of kronk fighter were effective with this. i saw jonathon banks throw a 1-3-2 n knock someone out in germany. tommy hearns the king of all kronk fighters was excellent at it too.
                  jumping with hook??? oh k wil giv a try brother.. M tall.. My height is 6 feet bro

Comment

jumping with hook??? oh k wil giv a try brother.. M tall.. My height is 6 feet bro
                    no, DONT jump in with your hook (overreach). thats what u will do if u lunge with your punches u will reach to far n leave yourself open. unless you are tall hooks from a distance wont be a effective weapon. just stick with short and medium range hooks. as for bobing and weaving, start out with just blocking til u fell comftorable u see em coming. then u can start timing them better and weave under those hooks.

Comment

Working...
                    X