No announcement yet.

Knuckle Problems.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckle Problems.

Been boxing over 3 years now and just recently I've started getting pretty bad knuckle sores and grazes that are just scarring up my knuckles badly in the long-term.

I'm thinking it's because my knuckles arent strong/tough enough, so first off I'm asking for any advice on how to improve the strength of my knuckles. I've heard about hitting the top of a bucket full of sand and other things but I dont want to completely **** my knuckles because I have fights coming up.

However, I'm not 100% sure this is the case so if anyones got any alternative reasons that might be the cause of it or any advice then I'm all ears.

Cheers.

Just put a piece of foam or sponge over your knuckles and then wrap your hands on top of them, or use two pairs of handwraps.

Can't use it for fights, but most of the time is spent training, so protect them.

Comment

I started grazing my knuckles a lot recently. I started putting a strip of 2 inch athletic tape directly on the skin over my knuckles, havent had any grazing problems since then, still have some old grazes that are healing, but haven't gotten anything new since I started taping my knuckles.

Comment

Alrite thats **** on thanks alot.

Comment

go a proper martial arts teacher to learn about the proper conditioning.

buckets of sand are not involved i can say.

but, as i alkways have said, kostya tszyu said he has never had hand probloems after the conditioning training - he said his hands used to swell up badly. but now, he is not afraid of even punching a hole in a wall.

so, get professional help with this. otherwise u can damage your nerves or deform your hand.

there are a few methods btw.

Comment

Originally posted by j View Post
            go a proper martial arts teacher to learn about the proper conditioning.

buckets of sand are not involved i can say.

but, as i alkways have said, kostya tszyu said he has never had hand probloems after the conditioning training - he said his hands used to swell up badly. but now, he is not afraid of even punching a hole in a wall.

so, get professional help with this. otherwise u can damage your nerves or deform your hand.

there are a few methods btw.
            You always say that, but you never provided any actual evidence that he does that, because frankly, I believe you are full of ****.

Your solution to every problem is some voodoo martial arts chi crap.

Comment

You're far more likely to injure your hand more punching a bucket of sand or a karate makiwara. I'm not saying it can't work, but unless you know exactly what you are doing, it's just going to make things worse.

For training use two pairs of wraps or a sponge or one of those knuckle guards (but they cost alot more money). For fights, use a regular wrap, or if you have problems still and think you need extra protection, then get your trainer to wrap your hands with gauze and tape if it's allowed where you box.

Comment

i HIGHLY recommend the Winning NG-2 Gel knuckle guard!

http://winning-usa.com/extraitems.html

they have made a world of a difference in comfort and protection!

Pros such as Juan M. Marquez, Israel Vazquez, are known to always use them in training (says the man who distributes Winning gear from Japan to USA, mr. Kazumichi).

i use them in a pair of 10oz reyes pro fight gloves on the bag, and i dont have any hand problems anymore with these gloves.

they work just as good with ringside imf tech gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  You always say that, but you never provided any actual evidence that he does that, because frankly, I believe you are full of ****.

Your solution to every problem is some voodoo martial arts chi crap.
                  wat a sec assh*le, i have provided evidence many times. dont blame me if u cant read.

evidence is found in an interview with kostya tszyu in a 2003 or 2004 Boxing monthly mag.

and here is another quote and site which talkes about our and kostya tszu's "vodoo crap":

"Like a ballistics expert, he describes the science that has felled 24 other men in addition to Judah, a technique that distinguishes his right hand as perhaps the most dangerous and feared weapon in boxing. “To disable an opponent, you must accomplish what I call ‘internal hurting’. I use the example of Chinese balls, which are metal balls that contain a second ball inside, to explain,” he says. “When you throw one of these balls and it strikes the target, it will penetrate deeper because of the internal ball. There is initial impact, then a second impact a split second later. The second impact is devastating. This is when the internal power is released.

“When I throw a punch it opens a hole in the target. The second impact, which is accomplished by delivering the punch in the correct manner, brings the internal hurt that results in concussion"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...=null&offset=0

go tell tszyu he is full of **** too while u are at it. ahh, its always fun when people talk about what they dont understand. things people dont understand will always think it is like magic. so, go ahead and think i do some voodo chi crap if u like.
                  Last edited by j; 03-12-2009, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RightHooker View Post
                    You're far more likely to injure your hand more punching a bucket of sand or a karate makiwara. I'm not saying it can't work, but unless you know exactly what you are doing, it's just going to make things worse.

For training use two pairs of wraps or a sponge or one of those knuckle guards (but they cost alot more money). For fights, use a regular wrap, or if you have problems still and think you need extra protection, then get your trainer to wrap your hands with gauze and tape if it's allowed where you box.
                    i am not sure how a bucket of sand would do anything for hardening of knuckles specifically.

there is a time tested methods that use gradual conditioning. mikiwara boards will help calcify your bones, but there are safer, better ways in my opinion. the better ways, in my opinion as i know people who do them, take time and do not cause deformation in the hands. the methods do greatly increase the thickness of the skin and density if bones as well as fibres of the hand. being hit by a conditioned hand makes it feel more like a sledgehammer instead if a rubber hammer as best as i can describe.

Comment

Working...
                    X