Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would Pros pefrom against amateurs - Olympics?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still you, because you're looking at the fundamentals and not taking into consideration the human mind. Believe what you want to believe, doesn't bother me, but a top professional would beat top amatuer. Everyone is afterall entitled to their own opinion - so long as they know that if it doesn't parallel with mine they accept it's wrong haha.

Comment

Originally posted by JayWater39 View Post
      Mayweatehr wouldnt have to move he could just stand in the pocket and make the opponent miss and come back with combinations.. if u watched the cotto vs margarito fight cotto would smash these amatuers.. bigger gloves and headgear ok.. ive seen kids get knocked out in sparring so that padding thing is a bit overated.. u saw when sadam ali got hurt he fought different the rest of the way.. thats what jaycoe is saying.. if u get hit with a punch as hard as ur not used to it doesnt have to knock you out it can change the whole momentum and the way a person approaches the fight.. one counter combination of a 1, 4, 2 from cotto if it dont knock the kid out the kid is not fighting the same way after.. If Andrade goes to the pros and fought pavlik or margarito hed be knocked out in the first 3 rounds most likely the 1st with or without headgear .. so that 4 round 2 minute argument is garbage..

Andrade has a chance to become a world champ as do alot of these olympic boxers but they need to become better boxers for it to happen they are too green for the champions i dont care under what circumstances they fight.. they are still boxing
      Do you watch amateur boxing at all??? Are you involved with it, at international level??? I am. Mayweather would not be able to stand in the pocket and score, because points are very rarely registered at that range. Case in point: The style of fighting that he has adapted in his years as a pro is ineffective in the amateur scoring system.

The more you guys try to come up with arguments, the more you expose your ignorance of the subtleties of boxing.

Read what I said about punching power etc., again, because you missed it first time around. Point is: the style and movement used, will take away a lot of the punching power of the pros.

Comment

just a question punch, if amateur style is so effective against pro style, why don't more people use amateur styles in pro fights? (the 4 rounders etc).

just asking, not trying to sound rude or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Oriachim View Post
          just a question punch, if amateur style is so effective against pro style, why don't more people use amateur styles in pro fights? (the 4 rounders etc).

just asking, not trying to sound rude or anything.
          Because the judging of the fights is different. The judges don't sit there and register individual punches, so running around like that will give the appearance that the other guy is dominant. The 4 rounders are preparation/education/practice/development for eventually going on to fight 8-10-12 round fights, so you want to use them to develop a style that is effective over those distances. Using a style that is effective under the am rules would be foolish, as you'll have learned nothing about howe to fight once you get to the longer fights.
          If you look at some of the guys coming over, they actually are fighting more like amateurs in their first fights, it's a process. I train a couple of rookie pros myself, and we train a lot different now, so they can adapt to that different style/rules. I also train a few good ams. When they spar each other, the am guys do really well when they move around on them, setting the pace higher. the pros don't get much done if they go 4 rounds.

In any sport, you develop the best techniques to suit the rules you're competing under. In hockey, the rinks are smaller in North America than what they use in the rest of the world. that makes the game more physical. The level of success each country has, can be impacted greatly by which size rink they use at the winter Olympics, for instance.
          Imagine they took away the offside rule in soccer. Would the game change? Would the tactics emplouyed need to be different? Hell yeah. It's all about adapting the right strategies and techniques for the rules you compete under. and the guys training 24-7 for a certain set of rules will generally fair a lot better than those who do not. Also remember that the best ams at the Olympics going on right now, are the RJJ's, Mayweathers, and Sugar Ray Leonards of tomorrow, so it's not like you can just say Cotto is much more talented. Why did he lose early at the Olympics then? To a guy he pummeled over a longer distance in the pros, no less. The pro style/distance suited him better, while the other guy was better under Olympic rules.
          Last edited by PunchDrunk; 08-13-2008, 02:55 AM.

Comment

I think a few people on thread are getting a lil twisted!

This thread isn't asking "who has more skill, a professional or amateur?" Its asking how a professional would perform in the olympics. Olympic boxing has a different rule set and it takes specific tactics and strategies to win amateur bouts. This without doubt gives an experienced world class amateur the advantage over a seasoned pro who has got used to fighting 8 to 12 3 minute rounds.

Similar to what Punch was saying I'd liken it more to a 400m sprinter in a 100m race. Yes a 400m runner is naturally quick, strong and has a **** load of stamina, but they're not trained or accustomed to that drive, explosiveness and acceleration out of the starting blocks required in the 100m sprint.

It'd make quite an interesting exhibition bout though. A pro fighting under Am rules!

Comment

Originally posted by Oriachim View Post
              put a journeyman in and it would possibly be fair, but in a seasoned pro whos got some KO power and then it gets unfair... don't forget, many "boys" compete in the olympics.
              this is my thoughts exactly. but you got those cuban guys. teofolio stevenson and that dude felix savon, i am pretty sure all those guys did was amateur ****. so they were ****in' around in the olympics at age 30 I would imagine because either Teo or Savon won 4 golds if my memory serves me correct. but I'm talkin' about two of the best amateur heavies ever in recent memory, so it is a rare occurance by and large...

The deal breaker and reason this is prohibited, is because alot of the good professional boxers already have very lengthy amateur resumes, thus giving them more experience than your average olympian...except maybe one of these guys from cuba who take it so serious into their 30's.

now, if they were to allow the non top professionals take place, I think it would be more evenly matched. the ones with amateur experience would still have the advantage. I think that the guys getting hit the most would be the professionals with zero amateur experience (guys who instinctually punch and slug instead of box (many ****ty pros do it) would truely get beaten down), going up against amateur olympians; with very few exceptions.

Comment

Working...
              X