No announcement yet.

Best Workout to get good at Pullups?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Workout to get good at Pullups?

Ok so my pullup area is pretty weak. I feel weak going to gym and barely can do any while these other guys do them like they are nothing. What's the best workout to do to get your arms built or strong for pullups? Should I do more of the bar that you pull behind your head? I'm trying to do the pullups that you have your knuckles over the bar as opposed to under where it's more bicep related. I want to be able to go to the pullups and do em GOOD. I'm pretty good at everything else, but pullups, I suck at for most part.
    Last edited by ELPacman; 05-03-2008, 11:26 AM.

Try pyramids or ladders, both helped me. Or just crank em out after everytime you go to the bathroom or eat.

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post
      Ok so my pullup area is pretty weak. I feel weak going to gym and barely can do any while these other guys do them like they are nothing. What's the best workout to do to get your arms built or strong for pullups? Should I do more of the bar that you pull behind your head? I'm trying to do the pullups that you have your knuckles over the bar as opposed to under where it's more bicep related. I want to be able to go to the pullups and do em GOOD. I'm pretty good at everything else, but pullups, I suck at for most part.
      Pullups...yup do more just do more and more as u go..if u can do 5 now...keep that up build the muscles and within weeks u will do more and more...other than that ya do the Lat pulldowns if u must..instead tho of goin behind your head u need to pull it straight down to your chest...do not lean back and move your back to pull it to ya..pull str8 down in one arm motion than let it back up...tons of people do this exersice wrong...

Comment

as a beginner don't do them once or twice a week.

do them as often as you can. like landon said, every day try to do 5 sets. for example in the morning 1 set, noon 1 set, afternoon 1 set, early evening 1 set and late eveing 1 set - only three reps each set.
        the following week you hit 4 reps each set.

don't torture yourself by increasing the reps to early, you will lose fun.

do that for one or two months with decreasing volume, after two months you can do them once or twice a week in sets.

i started exactly that way five years ago and i did them every (!!) week for four years. at the end i was able to do 8-10 reps with additional 40kg (ca 90lbs) at a bodyweight of 220lbs.
        i used to be a lifting freak but as a boxer i would start with the same routine i did.
        it is really easy that way from the beginning! don't go too fast too high. because pullups aren't all about strength. it's about controlled common strength and ability between your muslces.

Comment

Pullups.....

Theres no better exercise, than to do that actual exercise... even if u can do 3... keep doing sets of 3... eventually youll get to 4..

doin pullups will workout every muscle, that you need, in order to do more pullups...

Comment

Do pullups?!?!

Comment

pull-ups increase your push-up numbers...

So do Many many many push-ups...

and your pull-ups will increase a lil bit...

Or just do pull-ups until you can't go anymore.. then hang there for 30 seconds.

Comment

Yeah if you can do them every day, everday needs to feel like hell. No pain no gain. Just increase the ammount of pushups and try to do pull ups every day and little by little you WILL see improovement. Don't do none of that resting crap, except on the weekend if you like. By a month you'll see changes.

Comment

Originally posted by DA1CATAS View Post
                  pull-ups increase your push-up numbers...

So do Many many many push-ups...

and your pull-ups will increase a lil bit...

Or just do pull-ups until you can't go anymore.. then hang there for 30 seconds.
                  No way ,
                  for push ups u use triceps and chest.
                  for pull ups u use ur lats, back and biceps

Like that other guy mentioned u should do lat pulldowns.

Comment

Deadlifts are very good.

Comment

Working...
                    X