Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are There Amateurs fighting that are 30+?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nothing wrong with competing in your 30's. im not in my 30's yet but hope to be competing.

In the US at 35+ you compete in the masters division.

If you are 40 and still competing... all the more to you. Alot of people do nothing but sit in their lazy-boy at 40 talking about running for touchdowns in high school.

Comment

u should use those older fighters to your advantage. get helpful tips that you can work on. and use them as sparring partners. always try to spar someone who is better than you or on your level. don't ever worry bout age cuz.

Comment

Originally posted by leff View Post
        here its 34, aint there any maximum age in america
        Originally posted by kayjay View Post
        For the same reason we **** 20 yr old chicks!
        Originally posted by nedcmk1 View Post
        nothing wrong with competing in your 30's. im not in my 30's yet but hope to be competing.

In the US at 35+ you compete in the masters division.

If you are 40 and still competing... all the more to you. Alot of people do nothing but sit in their lazy-boy at 40 talking about running for touchdowns in high school.
        in canada they stop us at 34 also, i wish there was a masters div. i know i could make 165 again, now that i'm too old, i'd like to have a couple more fights

Comment

Originally posted by the filth View Post
          in canada they stop us at 34 also, i wish there was a masters div. i know i could make 165 again, now that i'm too old, i'd like to have a couple more fights
          That's really weird; we have a Master Division guy at our gym who fights in Canada. Except, the guys he fights up there are way younger than him. IIRC, his last opponent was 22 and our guy got .

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
            That's really weird; we have a Master Division guy at our gym who fights in Canada. Except, the guys he fights up there are way younger than him. IIRC, his last opponent was 22 and our guy got .
            in my town, the local boxing club kicks u out at 34, but then if u are over 20 they won't even waste time training u. they want kids to go to the olympics or make the provincial team, and the coaches there are rednecks. in the bigger cities though, it might be different

Comment

Originally posted by big paulie View Post
              In Britain amateur boxing is capped at age 35
              That's me out then! Not that I was considering taking it up again.

Comment

Are you guys familiar with Kronk gym in Detroit? I am sure you are....anyways, They shut down their Detroit gym because of vandalism and relocated an hour out of D town. A lot of fighters & trainers from there went to a gym about 15 minutes away called Mowtown Boxing. I walked into Mowtown gym about 3 1/2 months ago on a Saturday and told them I was interested in boxing competetively....they took at least a half hour to answer questions and ask me questions too....they were all together supportive and said that the first step was just walking through the door....they told me they have a couple guys who have been training just 3 years who will be going to the Golden Gloves this years as well... They also said that a few of these fighters didnt start boxing until their 20's.......

I started 3 months ago and i am 28....after 3 months I love this s$%# and cant wait to begin competing.....what I enjoy the most about this sport is that it pushes you beyond your breaking point, to places beyond exhaustion where you can really see wtf you are made of...So I dont see myself stopping any time soon.

Comment

AIBA regulations say 34 and you're out.

Comment

Originally posted by rj_ct View Post

because they love boxing?
                    yep.

thats why

Comment

some people just get into it at an older age..

Comment

Working...
                      X