No announcement yet.

New to the forum! Routine help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum! Routine help!

Hi! I'm new to the forum and would like to know what type of routine you would suggest to me. I am really looking on speed over power because I am a muscular 5'10" 175, I could probably go down to 165 and be very lean. My regular workout routines now consist of weights and sit-ups every other day, with some heavy bag, speed bag, and shadowboxing the opposite days of weights. I am also thinking about running, I want to build my stamina up and I think I could probably barely run for 1.5 miles straight before getting tired. Stamina and speed is what I'm looking for so any pointers would be great. Thanks ahead of time!
    PS-I do low rep high weight reps for weights(mass and power building), I think I should change to low weight high reps for stamina. I do upper body mostly(chest, shoulders, arms, back) and some lower body once a week.

Some lower body? your legs are massive muscles on your body they NEED to be trained

Comment

Originally posted by Kayo View Post
      Some lower body? your legs are massive muscles on your body they NEED to be trained
      No, I work my legs, just not a ton because they grow a lot quicker than my chest and arms that's why I only work them once or twice a week. I'm thinking doing weights once a week now and 3X's a week boxing training(speedbag, heavy bag, shadow boxing,). And then running a couple miles every other day. Sound good? I'm slowing down on the weights b/c I really want stamina and hand speed and I heard weights gives you more power but slows you down.

Comment

Do not do low weights with high reps it is pointless in general, your time would be better spent skipping, more heavy bag work or running. If you want to box you need to go to a boxing gym and get a lot of stamina theres no point having a ****load of muscle if you tire out in the first round. So get some more cardio in along with interval training and you will be on your way.

Comment

I pulled a something in my left butt cheek doing deadlifts, need help quick!

Comment

Originally posted by Salty View Post
            Do not do low weights with high reps it is pointless in general, your time would be better spent skipping, more heavy bag work or running. If you want to box you need to go to a boxing gym and get a lot of stamina theres no point having a ****load of muscle if you tire out in the first round. So get some more cardio in along with interval training and you will be on your way.
            Thanks! So I'll keep the low reps high weights than. Yeah, I'm trying to make my muscles gain stamina and me getting more stamina(running). I'm thinking of: speedbag, heavy bag, shadow boxing 3 X's a week and weights once or twice a week, and running 3X's a week 2-3miles. Good Idea? Or should I keep weights to once a week?

Comment

Originally posted by Jothemano View Post
              No, I work my legs, just not a ton because they grow a lot quicker than my chest and arms that's why I only work them once or twice a week. I'm thinking doing weights once a week now and 3X's a week boxing training(speedbag, heavy bag, shadow boxing,). And then running a couple miles every other day. Sound good? I'm slowing down on the weights b/c I really want stamina and hand speed and I heard weights gives you more power but slows you down.
              im boxing 4-5 days a week and lifting 4 days a week and im as fast as ever.

If you do exercises like bench press, rows, military press, squat, deadlift, lunges, pull ups, chin ups and dips you wont lose speed. For boxing do compound lifts and ditch the isolation exercises.

Of course your legs will get bigger quicker then your chest and arms THEIR A BIGGER MUSCLE. Good strong legs are very important for this sport

Comment

Thanks for the help! I might start off w/weights only once or twice a week though because I have lots of power already. I really want to get lightning fast and have punching stamina. My muscles are really tight right now because I have only done heavy bag, speed bag, and shadow boxing like twice a month and weights every other day for the last 2 months. Any suggestions for good speed training? I hear shadow boxing w/ or w/o weights. I'm not sure about heavy bag as much because I have a lot of power right now. I'm really thinking just shadow boxing, speed bag, and running the next month with weights once a week. What do you think about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Jothemano View Post
                  Thanks for the help! I might start off w/weights only once or twice a week though because I have lots of power already. I really want to get lightning fast and have punching stamina. My muscles are really tight right now because I have only done heavy bag, speed bag, and shadow boxing like twice a month and weights every other day for the last 2 months. Any suggestions for good speed training? I hear shadow boxing w/ or w/o weights. I'm not sure about heavy bag as much because I have a lot of power right now. I'm really thinking just shadow boxing, speed bag, and running the next month with weights once a week. What do you think about that?
                  Stick with everything bud.Run as much as you can, Lift 2-3x a week then for boxing training warm up with skipping rope for 2-3 rounds then shadow box for 2-3 rounds then hit pads working on combo's for 4 or 5 rounds then finish up with 2 rounds on the heavy bag.

At your stage just practicing your combo's will develope speed right now because you'll become more fluid and more comfortable throwing them.

If you want to get in good shape its good to be training 5-6 days a week

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! I think I know what to do now!

Comment

Working...
                    X