No announcement yet.

Taking your first punch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking your first punch

Hey guys haven't stepped into the ring yet but was wondering what your reaction and how you felt after you took your first solid punch.

Originally posted by phillies04 View Post
    Hey guys haven't stepped into the ring yet but was wondering what your reaction and how you felt after you took your first solid punch.
    mixed feeling of anger and pain...

Comment

Puked in a trash can in the corner of the gym. Freaked me right out.

EDIT: Whatever happens, don't be ashamed of your reaction. Everybody remembers their first big punch, and the reaction was different for everyone at your gym. Some people laugh it off, some people get pissed, some people bawl like schoolgirls, and some guys hang up their gloves right there.

Boxing HURTS. A LOT.

What matters is whether or not you come back the next day after taking your first heavy punch -- that hit that makes you bleed, or leaves you on your knees gasping like a fish with slivers of black glass stabbing into your eyes (liver punch, anyone?)

The next day, around gym-time, is when you'll know FOR SURE whether or not this is your sport.

Good luck.
      Last edited by fraidycat; 01-26-2007, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I would think it fair to give him more than a day? Or not?

Comment

I know it was just a figure of speech but Im asking.

Comment

when i got it in sparring it was the first time sparring and i was like"whoa"

Comment

Originally posted by Yaka1 View Post
              I would think it fair to give him more than a day? Or not?
              Not more than two days. You'll just know, the next day. I promise. You'll know whether or not you are insane enough to pursue this as a hobby -- if you can handle getting hit like that regularly. Because you will.

Personally, I went back the next night. Some guys at my gym had bet on whether or not I'd show. I didn't ask who or how much.

Someone here said, "Show them that you're tough on the inside and they'll teach you to be tough on the outside."
              Last edited by fraidycat; 01-26-2007, 05:23 PM.

Comment

It shouldnt really bother you unless you take a FLUSH shot like right on the nose, or if you walk into a punch you dont see coming...

getting hit square on the nose with a hard shot... will make ya eyes watery and you'll be thinkin.....

"**** this **** man"

lol

Comment

Originally posted by McAlister View Post
                  It shouldnt really bother you unless you take a FLUSH shot like right on the nose, or if you walk into a punch you dont see coming...

getting hit square on the nose with a hard shot... will make ya eyes watery and you'll be thinkin.....

"**** this **** man"

lol
                  That is very true. You will likely take a couple of glancing blows first that you THINK are heavy, and right about the time you're thinking, "Hey, this isn't so bad," then out of nowhere:

And then you'll need this:

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
                    That is very true. You will likely take a couple of glancing blows first that you THINK are heavy, and right about the time you're thinking, "Hey, this isn't so bad," then out of nowhere:

And then you'll need this:

lol

hahahaa

Comment

Working...
                    X