Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't anyone in boxing play the heel?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
    I don't think Foreman was a heel per se. I think when he was young, he was just a big, mean, scary cat who KO'd most of the folks who dared to get in the ring with him.
    I wasn't talking about Big George Foreman. Gorgeous George was a pro wrestler who called himself the greatest and too pretty among other braggadocio stuff Ali adopted.

Comment

It seems to me like there are two classes of boxing heels... The brash trash-talker (think Ali, Money May after his "heel turn") and the mean, dirty fighter who ain't afraid to cheat (think Sonny Liston).

Broner is pretty good at the former... Case in point his speech after the Pac fight which was straight out of WWE. As a matter of fact, I wonder why AB hasn't gone the wrasslin' route given his hopeless prospects as a boxer and talent for trash talk/swagger. Tyson Fury also has heel tendencies and potential (licking Wilder's bloody neck...).

As for the latter... Nery and Benavidez come to mind as guys who shamelessly miss weight and, in the case of Benavidez, get caught playing with their nose.

Comment

You got guys like JCC Jr and Billy Joe Saunders too. They are already universally hated.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxGod View Post
          I would say it cant be forced or faked you either have it or you dont. Its something cant be taught imo, you can become a better public speaker and everything but charisma shines through a way speaking well can never relay.
          Only caveat to that for me would be Colby right now. I feel like it isn't super natural for him. But he is smart and has a good gameplan with everything.

I think that's a lot of what it is. Having some sort of plan with it. But yes having the gift of gab and some charisma is obviously necessary too.

Comment

Originally posted by whollisboxing View Post
            I think Teofimo Lopez is on his way to becoming a good "heel" as you describe it. People wanted to see him humbled against Loma but he pulled off the victory. Now Teo seems to be up on a high horse with his money demands but then again he's been able to back up his words so I think he's the guy right now.

Plenty of people wanna see him lose and he seems to welcome that.
            I think he just needs to be smart with it, but yes, he is a good candidate.

Comment

We need more of that in my opinion. The main ones that should do it are bland, featherfisted guys like stevenson and haney. Those guys got skills but they're boring add that to their boring personalities then its a hard sell. They need to sell themselves and just start talking **** or hype themselves up.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManRumble View Post
                  I wasn't talking about Big George Foreman. Gorgeous George was a pro wrestler who called himself the greatest and too pretty among other braggadocio stuff Ali adopted.
                  I see. I realized it and tried to delete my post, but I guess you responded before I could. I just saw the movie, "One Night in Miami", which referenced Ali taking a liking to Gorgeous George's style of showmanship. I don't know if you've heard of the movie. It 's about the friendship between Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, Malcolm X and Sam Cook. It takes place on the night that they got together after Ali defeated Sonny Liston the first time.

Comment

Working...
                  X