Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys I’m so bored, did mike Tyson ever beat an ATG in their prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nash out View Post
    No. He had some decent wins. I'll compare his best wins to current fighters ability wise.

Tony Tucker - Gerald Washington
    Old Larry Holmes - Kevin Johnson (prime version)
    Tony Tubbs - Eric Molina
    Michael Spinks - Jesse Hart
    Frank Bruno - David Price
    Alex Stewart - Lucas Browne
    Razor Ruddock - Joey Abell
    wow....those guys tyson fought were far more skilled than these guys....tucker would wipe the floor with washington who was never a top ten heavy

tubbs had a lot more talent

spinks is a hall of famer albiet small heavy

cant say i agree bro

Comment

NO he did not

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
        Michael Spinks would probably be the only one and Spinks was a light heavyweight - not a heavyweight. It's just basically like a heavyweight beating up Bivol. LMAO.

Ruddock was a career contender and he wasn't better than a guy like Dillian Whyte. And Holmes was past his prime apart from taking the fight on a month notice after being out of the ring for almost 2yrs.

Mike Tyson's overrated.
        Comparing some guy named Bivol to the Great Micheal Spinks as the same fighter. One of the most ignorant comments about one of the best fighters of his generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          We tend to call rivals great and no one could rival Mike when he was on top.

Trevor Berbick, James Smith, Pinklon Thomas, Tony Tucker, Larry Holmes, Tony Tubbs, Michael Spinks, and Frank Bruno are great names. Had anyone of them reigned for any considerable period they'd be called great today. No resume needed. No threat to beat to prove their greatness, just time in position. Like Wlad.

It's all well and fine today to say "but Evander though" But the thing is Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis waited to make moves in the division. They were not even big names when Mike was really Mike.

Punch Out came out in 87. You know, when Evander was a CW and five years before Lennox would fight for any world title because he hadn't even debuted.

What makes Lennox a great one? What makes Evander a great one? Cause they beat up old Foreman and Rahman? Not hardly. Evander beat up Mike Tyson a decade after Punch Out. A decade after Mike's been proven and with Mike coming off a loss. Evander, all of a sudden, went from okay, to great.

Lennox didn't even fight him until 02 ffs. Expecting a real Mike in 02 is just dumb. It's a good job he has Vitali really. Otherwise his former champion's list would be kinda like Mike's. Bunch of second tier names and an old champion who was dominate over a decade ago.

Outside of Mike, compare Tyson's resume to Evander and Lennox's. Your Tuckers and your Dokeses. Basically the same **** because Pinklon and Tubbs and **** were the men you beat to be champion. Old Foreman, born in 49...old Holmes...born in 49...get me? They basically mirror one another.

Lennox's path to the title is Mike Tyson leftovers.

Evander's is pretty much too.

Because like it or not Mike Tyson absolutely dominated a group of men for five years straight. Lennox and Evander both rode his coattails and capitalized off his greatness to become greater.

86-92 is all Mike.

92-99 Evander

99-03 Lewis

Mike didn't have the luxury of allowing anyone else to look great prior to him....he had no Mike Tyson to prime the audience for the oncoming career he was planning. Evander and Lennox did.
          That is the best and accurate analysis of this post. Let's add the fear factor and that there was no way anyone could fathom how to stop that force. The only way that could happen was for him not to train and have every distraction in the world in addition to wealth and mental health issues so that he could be a shell of Mike Tyson. It was a short time period but it was amazing. That's why he always was the face of boxing and still the most well known boxer today.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post
            I was exaggerating a bit for effect. I will say though, I think that Tyson at any stage of his career loses to Lewis, Holyfield and an in shape Bowe at any stage. I also think Douglas beats him 7/10 times. Bad style match up, and let's be honest, Douglas is only a B minus level guy and he showed Mike's limitations getting inside a good/not great, jab. I know Razor Ruddock would smoke Joey Abell.
            I agree with most of this except Douglas beating him 7 outta 10 . Its quite clear tyson barely trained and was sleeping with hoards of Japanese women and partying before the fight . I would pick the mike who lost to holy to beat Douglass honestly . He was in shape atleast . That was more a case of dougoas being up for the fight ( which was rare ) and Mike being the exact opposite. That really ****ed his career up altho it was about to derail either way .

Comment

His wins over Ruddock is underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                lol at these comparisons.

none of the guys on the right would beat anyone from the left.
                It was a comedy version of the list. But let's be honest, Tyson beat nobody even close to great. Holmes was a good win, but it was clear Holmes was well past the force he once was.

Comment

Originally posted by NORMNEALON View Post
                  I agree with most of this except Douglas beating him 7 outta 10 . Its quite clear tyson barely trained and was sleeping with hoards of Japanese women and partying before the fight . I would pick the mike who lost to holy to beat Douglass honestly . He was in shape atleast . That was more a case of dougoas being up for the fight ( which was rare ) and Mike being the exact opposite. That really ****ed his career up altho it was about to derail either way .
                  You might be right on that. I just think Douglas had a style that Mike would struggle with. But 7/10 is probably a stretch. The other guys though, I am certain on. Mike had skills and power. But he was small, got frustrated easily and folded, and would go as far as gave up under pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
                    His wins over Ruddock is underrated.
                    Ruddock had power,but never really beat anyone of note and had no chin.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                      wow....those guys tyson fought were far more skilled than these guys....tucker would wipe the floor with washington who was never a top ten heavy

tubbs had a lot more talent

spinks is a hall of famer albiet small heavy

cant say i agree bro
                      Read the rest of the posts here, lol. This was a list for comedy effect. I do agree with you, but at the same time, Tyson was what he was. A very good, but ot great fighter, that beat nobody above B level and folded everytime the going got tough. The Real Deal Pedlyfield would beat him 99 times out of 100, so would Lewis.

Comment

Working...
                      X