Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The things people forget about Douglas-Tyson.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SweetPbfAli View Post
    Yep. Pretty sure he got Chlamydia or some other STD while over there iirc.
    Hey good to see you back.

Who do you have this Saturday, Wilder or Fury ?

Comment

Which begs the question, should knockdowns be timed and not counted by the refs? There's a wide range of ten counts based on refs, fight etc. Maybe the ref counts based on a clock to eliminate the disparity? Just thinking out loud lol.
      Even at the end of a count the referee can look at the figher's eyes and tell if he can continue or not. We've all seen refs count to 10 look at a figher, and allow them to continue. The count is only to give the fighter a short grace period to recover and for the ref to determine if the figher is ok or not.

The ref looked at Douglas and saw that he could continue.

Tyson was falling over with his mouth piece hanging out of his mouth. Could not continue.

The ref made the right call. Tyson lost. The WBA, WBO, and IBF never agree on anything but they all agreed that Tyson lost. Even Tyson knows he lost.

Beterbiev#1 seems to be the only one in denial.

Comment

Originally posted by Beterbiev#1 View Post
        Here's the deal. I can count to 10 and take 20 seconds doing it or I can count to 10 and take 8 seconds doing it. I can count to 10 and take 10 seconds doing it. The count pace is supposed to be at the pace of actually seconds; hence, 10 count. The ref should come as close as possible, I'm sure they went to referee school to learn how to count to 10 in boxing seconds.

Either way. Douglass was on the ground for 13-15 seconds which constitutes a knockout
        No it doesn’t... counts are not timed they are counted. The referee was consistent with both counts. Tyson got the same opportunity as Douglas. Don King literally made the same argument you’re making and appealed the result. It was rightfully rejected.

Comment

Which begs the question, should knockdowns be timed and not counted by the refs? There's a wide range of ten counts based on refs, fight etc. Maybe the ref counts based on a clock to eliminate the disparity? Just thinking out loud lol.
          Good question. It makes some sense tbf, you could time the count until the fighter gets to his feet and then referee decides whether he should continue or not. It would certainly help prevent contentious incidents like this.

However, the referee is probably the only guy who can interact with the fighter. Without interaction how would the fighter know when to get up. You could have it shouted out via speaker or something but you’d get instances were crowd volume along with the effects of being punched in the head could/would drown it out.

I think it’s a good idea, I just dunno how it could be implemented.
          Last edited by RJJ-94-02=GOAT; 02-19-2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
            No not the case at all.
            That only happens when u win 6 rings and ran out of competition to prove you’re the best.
            Douglas just knew what was at stake and stepped up real big time. It wasn’t a case of reaching the top of the mountain as he has plenty to prove after that... to defend the title and beat other champs for example
            Not in his mind... I remember seeing an interview between James Douglas and Mike Costello and he literally admits he lost that same motivation and hunger as he had already achieved his ambition, he also says all the BS politics from King following the fight also affected his mentality.

Comment

Working...
            X