No announcement yet.

Dubois-Joyce on PPV WTF??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
    Literally anything half decent is behind a paywall. And the fights we get as part of our Sky subscription are Brook-DeLuca...

And idiots say “British boxing is booming”.��
    Yup. They're the same ******s who come in every thread and say "WAR DAZN!" while the fighters are some random youtube video game players.

Funny you mention the Brook fight. I noticed it a couple days ago and thought "that's not the same DeLuca I saw fighting a club fighter on DAZN months back....yup it is. Competitive"

Comment

Both as bad as each other tbh...
      Curious to see what the undercard looks like, that AJ/Whyte card was loaded. Mitchell/Barroso, Campbell/Mendy, Bellew/Masternak, Eubank/Spike, Paulie and Chisora. We will see what Frank can build, but I doubt it comes anywhere close to that.

With that being said, I'm guessing both Joyce and Dubois demanded purses' that precluded this from being a non-PPV show

Comment

It’s not justifiable in the slightest. For instance could this fight even headline a card in the US?

British boxing should be aiming higher but instead we’re lowering are standards.

I like this fight, I’m probably gonna buy a ticket but putting it on PPV is just blatant greed.
        What is "justifiable"? How do you define that?

Warren thinks (perhaps rightly) that there are enough people that will buy this and the overall revenue generated will be higher than just selling the rights for normal TV.

If it sells, he will put more future fights on PPV too. If it doesn't, he'll ask them to continue fighting for smaller money. Then it is up to them to stay with him or move elsewhere if they think someone else will give them more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Zelda View Post
          What is "justifiable"? How do you define that?

Warren thinks (perhaps rightly) that there are enough people that will buy this and the overall revenue generated will be higher than just selling the rights for normal TV.

If it sells, he will put more future fights on PPV too. If it doesn't, he'll ask them to continue fighting for smaller money. Then it is up to them to stay with him or move elsewhere if they think someone else will give them more money.
          It’s not a high enough quality fight to be on PPV.

Would this fight even headline a card in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
            Yup. They're the same ******s who come in every thread and say "WAR DAZN!" while the fighters are some random youtube video game players.

Funny you mention the Brook fight. I noticed it a couple days ago and thought "that's not the same DeLuca I saw fighting a club fighter on DAZN months back....yup it is. Competitive"
            Those network groupies are something else...

We had Johnny Nelson on Sky yesterday telling us DeLuca was an “awkward” opponent and that Brook was taking a “risk” fighting him.��

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
              Curious to see what the undercard looks like, that AJ/Whyte card was loaded. Mitchell/Barroso, Campbell/Mendy, Bellew/Masternak, Eubank/Spike, Paulie and Chisora. We will see what Frank can build, but I doubt it comes anywhere close to that.

With that being said, I'm guessing both Joyce and Dubois demanded purses' that precluded this from being a non-PPV show
              I think you’re probably right. I just wish they had hung fire and put this on premium tv. I think it would have had a far bigger reach, because I doubt that many will pay for it. I actually think it’s a more interesting fight than AJ-Whyte was but I don’t think either have anywhere near the pull that AJ did.

They’re probably just looking for “x” amount of buys to break even...

Comment

It’s not a high enough quality fight to be on PPV.

Would this fight even headline a card in the US?
                And that is why it is NOT being fought in the US.

What's the point? Prior to Wilder vs Fury, the last time a HW was on PPV in the US was back in 2005/6. And the last time there was a HW PPV in both US and UK was in 2002 (Lewis vs Tyson).

So, both might be unknowns in the US but it is a big fight in the UK (or so Warren thinks). With a decent undercard, it might bring in more profit than without PPV, which is their goal. Why would both fighters risk their respective careers and Warren his stable if the money was not way above what other fights could have generated?

Comment

Shouldn’t be a PPV but I still laugh at Hearn saying it shouldn’t be PPV, like he wouldn’t have done the same.

The guy put Kell Brook v Frankie Gavin on PPV

Comment

Hearn deservedly gets a lot of criticism for putting dross on PPV, so Warren must be held to the same standards.

Whilst Dubois-Joyce is a very exciting fight, it’s a DOMESTIC level fight. British title fights being on PPV is terrible IMO.

PPV is supposed to represent a premier product of particular significance. For instance Wilder-Fury is fight that merits that distinction as it features the BEST two HW’s in the world.

Whilst Joyce and Dubois are exciting prospects with potentially huge upside, putting them on PPV is unjust, and is simply motivated by greed tbh.
                    You are right but I think with PPV fights costing significantly less here in the UK, I think they feel it’s more justified to put a compelling fight on PPV

Even though they’re not huge names, there isn’t a boxing fan in the UK that won’t want to see it come fight night and then it’ll be a case of “it’s only 19.99, let’s just buy it”

So that’s how they get the buys I think. I don’t think it should be PPV but it’ll do a decent amount of buys for what it is, just because there’s enough hardcore fans that will pay 20 quid.

Comment

That's B.S., what happens is that the regular network can't pay the purses and they put these things on ppv.

I remember there were a few mid-level fights on ppv but they were very cheap to buy. Now any fight on ppv commands the full price.

Comment

Working...
                      X