No announcement yet.

Analysing all GGG's world titles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emceetns View Post
    Here is how I imagine things playing out for GGG in an alternate reality where he wasn't avoided until 2017:

2010-2011: Golovkin first makes waves by stopping Felix Sturm late to win his first title at 160.

2012: He makes his HBO debut as a titlist and HBO demands a title unification against Sergio Martinez since both fought in September of that year.

2013: Golovkin ends Sergio Martinez' reign as middleweight king by overcoming the old lion in a spirited slugfest. A new star is born and all roads point to GGG at 160

2014-2015: Golovkin is a big enough star to get the Canelo fight sooner and we get an even better version of the fight we saw in 2017. We are treated to a savage war in which GGG has a little more bounce and explosiveness and Canelo proves haters wrong by dishing out punishment in return. Golovkin wins a split decision but it takes a greater toll on him than Canelo

2016: Canelo wins a controversial majority decision in the rematch and there is enough money in the pot for all parties to go all-in for a trilogy.

2017: The third fight happens exactly when the actual first fight did and we get the same controversial draw that is hotly debated for years to come.

The end result is that both Canelo and GGG are elevated and only the most biased haters can question either fighter's greatness.

By the way, I also see a scenario where Golovkin takes the bait for a Mayweather fight at 154-155 after defeating Martinez and loses a UD. It turns out that draining that low affects him more than he thought it would.

If the Canelo fight still didn't happen in 2017 then I believe GGG would have won close decisions over a red-hot Billy Joe Saunders (tricky style matchup) while stopping a game Daniel Jacobs.
    It's not implausible. It would have been curious which way Golovkin would have jumped if he'd beaten Sturm in 2010... he would have been bigger sooner but equally he might never have had the motivation to leave Universum (although they were pretty much finished by 2010 anyway)and Germany to come to the US and get picked up by HBO... might indeed of have ended up another Ottke... just no way of knowing. I don't like crediting imaginary wins but based upon shared opponents it's hard to imagine any other outcome but beating Sturm badly, though a GGG vs 2010/11 Maravilla is a mouthwatering proposition. By 2013 or so, which is the earliest the fight could have happened in the real world, the 38 y/o Sergio would have been cornered and beaten is my guess.

A more fascinating thought is what would have happened if GGG had got fast tracked out of the Ammys, most likely at 154, at 24 by TR or GBP in the way that Lomachenko or maybe Usyk (by K2) were... In a way love GGG or hate him he's kinda blazed a trail - along with Kovalev - for top US promoters to recognise that these top European Amateurs can absolutely hold their own at world level in the pros and don't really need much seasoning to be ready for the top level.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      It's not implausible. It would have been curious which way Golovkin would have jumped if he'd beaten Sturm in 2010... he would have been bigger sooner but equally he might never have had the motivation to leave Universum (although they were pretty much finished by 2010 anyway)and Germany to come to the US and get picked up by HBO... might indeed of have ended up another Ottke... just no way of knowing. I don't like crediting imaginary wins but based upon shared opponents it's hard to imagine any other outcome but beating Sturm badly, though a GGG vs 2010/11 Maravilla is a mouthwatering proposition. By 2013 or so, which is the earliest the fight could have happened in the real world, the 38 y/o Sergio would have been cornered and beaten is my guess.

A more fascinating thought is what would have happened if GGG had got fast tracked out of the Ammys, most likely at 154, at 24 by TR or GBP in the way that Lomachenko or maybe Usyk (by K2) were... In a way love GGG or hate him he's kinda blazed a trail - along with Kovalev - for top US promoters to recognise that these top European Amateurs can absolutely hold their own at world level in the pros and don't really need much seasoning to be ready for the top level.
      I know what you mean as far as imaginary wins; It's fun to speculate though.

Comment

Here is how I imagine things playing out for GGG in an alternate reality where he wasn't avoided until 2017:

2010-2011: Golovkin first makes waves by stopping Felix Sturm late to win his first title at 160.

2012: He makes his HBO debut as a titlist and HBO demands a title unification against Sergio Martinez since both fought in September of that year.

2013: Golovkin ends Sergio Martinez' reign as middleweight king by overcoming the old lion in a spirited slugfest. A new star is born and all roads point to GGG at 160

2014-2015: Golovkin is a big enough star to get the Canelo fight sooner and we get an even better version of the fight we saw in 2017. We are treated to a savage war in which GGG has a little more bounce and explosiveness and Canelo proves haters wrong by dishing out punishment in return. Golovkin wins a split decision but it takes a greater toll on him than Canelo

2016: Canelo wins a controversial majority decision in the rematch and there is enough money in the pot for all parties to go all-in for a trilogy.

2017: The third fight happens exactly when the actual first fight did and we get the same controversial draw that is hotly debated for years to come.

The end result is that both Canelo and GGG are elevated and only the most biased haters can question either fighter's greatness.

By the way, I also see a scenario where Golovkin takes the bait for a Mayweather fight at 154-155 after defeating Martinez and loses a UD. It turns out that draining that low affects him more than he thought it would.

If the Canelo fight still didn't happen in 2017 then I believe GGG would have won close decisions over a red-hot Billy Joe Saunders (tricky style matchup) while stopping a game Daniel Jacobs.

My alternate career for GGG ... instead of relocating to America and and teaming up with Loeffler/HBO, he came to the UK to work with Matchroom/Sky.

There would have been no "Mexican style" or high altitude training with Abel Sanchez. With the amateur experience and sound fundamental skills he already had, I always thought Adam Booth or Rob McCracken would have been good fits for GGG. Good conditioning, good game plans and good opponents were all he needed. And a solid fan base, of course, which I don't think he would have had any problem getting in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
          My alternate career for GGG ... instead of relocating to America and and teaming up with Loeffler/HBO, he came to the UK to work with Matchroom/Sky.

There would have been no "Mexican style" or high altitude training with Abel Sanchez. With the amateur experience and sound fundamental skills he already had, I always thought Adam Booth or Rob McCracken would have been good fits for GGG. Good conditioning, good game plans and good opponents were all he needed. And a solid fan base, of course, which I don't think he would have had any problem getting in the UK.
          That would have worked too, I reckon. At some point he would have had to target the US and that's always gonna be a tough market for a UK based fighter, probably especially so for one coming outta Kazakhstan, but I doubt he would have had too many problems with bad scorecards.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
            Look at this eastern euro wannabe
            I’ve never been to Europe.

Comment

Here is how I imagine things playing out for GGG in an alternate reality...

It's not implausible..... A more fascinating thought is what would have happened if GGG had got fast tracked...

My alternate career for GGG...

stop making up silly stories you stupid golov-muppets

here is a thought... what would have happened, if Golovkin had taken all those fights he avoided?

how come that reality did not molest your fantasies?... when you girls were busy daydreaming about... woulda coulda shoulda LMAO

here is my alternate reality fantasy about Canelo, I wish with all my heart...

1) Canelo will fight the FOUR next-best JMW's CONSECUTIVELY...

2) ... one of those four being the best fighter of this generation

3) Canelo will fight the two best middleweights on the planet, walking away with a clear win over both... even if it takes a rematch to get there

4) Canelo will make BIG fights with known killers, better fights than his peers are making

5) Canelo will fight AT LEAST the two best SMW's on the planet before he retires

anyone want to bet on our mutual fantasies happening... ?

Comment

That would have worked too, I reckon. At some point he would have had to target the US and that's always gonna be a tough market for a UK based fighter, probably especially so for one coming outta Kazakhstan, but I doubt he would have had too many problems with bad scorecards.
                If he'd relocated to the UK, I think GGG would have become a fan favourite and a Sky PPV star very quickly. The one fight he had over here, against Kell Brook, was a mainstream media event, and Kell wasn't a big name himself at that time.

Golovkin earned a career high purse against Brook, nearly double what he'd earned for any of his HBO fights, which was a reflection of the fact that there wasn't really anything for him to target in the US at that time ... no big names at 160 or adjacent divisions, and no interest in boxing from the US mainstream.

Felix Sturm wanted no part of GGG and ended up losing his super WBA title in a unification fight with IBF champ Daniel Geale. Geale was then stripped of the WBA title he took from Sturm for fighting Anthony Mundine instead of his mando with GGG.

With Matchroom and Sky PPV money behind him, GGG wouldn't have been so deep in the high risk low reward category that Geale opted to give up his super WBA title and fight Anthony Mundine in Oz, rather than defend both his titles against Golovkin.

Back then, before Eddie Hearn became Al Haymon's US business rival, they had a good working relationship. It might have been possible for Eddie to offer Peter Quillin the $5 million he said he wanted for a unification fight with GGG, with Al's blessing, in the UK.
                Last edited by kafkod; 01-23-2020, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post

here is a thought... what would have happened, if Golovkin had taken all those fights he avoided?

how come that reality did not molest your fantasies?... when you girls were busy daydreaming about... woulda coulda shoulda LMAO

3) Canelo will fight the two best middleweights on the planet, walking away with a clear win over both... even if it takes a rematch to get there

4) Canelo will make BIG fights with known killers, better fights than his peers are making

5) Canelo will fight AT LEAST the two best SMW's on the planet before he retires

Here's how I imagine things playing out for you in an alternative reality ... after Floyd beat Manny you went out and got blind drunk celebrating, then woke up with a banging headache and a warm, happy glow in your heart.

At last, the insanity was over! All those years of shit talking, name calling, gif posting, petty point scoring pissing contests with complete strangers on the internet ... it was over, and you could start being a rational, unbiased fan of the great sport of boxing.

What do you think? Was there ever a chance it could have happened?

Comment

If he'd relocated to the UK, I think GGG would have become a fan favourite and a Sky PPV star very quickly. The one fight he had over here, against Kell Brook, was a mainstream media event, and Kell wasn't a big name himself at that time.

Golovkin earned a career high purse against Brook, nearly double what he'd earned for any of his HBO fights, which was a reflection of the fact that there wasn't really anything for him to target in the US at that time ... no big names at 160 or adjacent divisions, and no interest in boxing from the US mainstream.

Felix Sturm wanted no part of GGG and ended up losing his super WBA title in a unification fight with IBF champ Daniel Geale. Geale was then stripped of the WBA title he took from Sturm for fighting Anthony Mundine instead of his mando with GGG.

With Matchroom and Sky PPV money behind him, GGG wouldn't have been so deep in the high risk low reward category that Geale opted to give up his super WBA title and fight Anthony Mundine in Oz, rather than defend both his titles against Golovkin.

Back then, before Eddie Hearn became Al Haymon's US business rival, they had a good working relationship. It might have been possible for Eddie to offer Peter Quillin the $5 million he said he wanted for a unification fight with GGG, with Al's blessing, in the UK.

you just blurted out a bunch of silly excuses for questions that...

1) nobody asked
                    2) already got shredded last time

are you set on auto-excuse... ?

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post

Keep 'em coming Scrappy Doo!

Comment

Working...
                      X