No announcement yet.

The reason why Wilder's power is less impressive to some

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eco1 View Post
    Or maybe because he only fights Campbell tomato cans.
    who were these great fighters Tyson was knocking out??

Comment

Originally posted by MartialMind View Post
      I'm not one of those who besmirches Tyson's opponents but even when he fought cans time to time, Tyson was must watch TV.

I've just trying to get a read on why Wilder hasn't broken through despite all the KO's among a lot of hardcore boxing fans and the general public as well.
      Boxing isnt as popular in the states like it was in tysons era. But tyson had skills. He also looked and acted the part for casuals to eat up. Tyson was a smaller guy smashing bigger guys in dramatic QUICK fashion.

Wilder isnt really appealing to watch. To hardcore fans or casuals. Low skill set and activity. I dont think his arrogance and ranking himself so highly before he has won over the public is helping. Its almost turning the public against him

Comment

Originally posted by MartialMind View Post
        I'm not one of those who besmirches Tyson's opponents but even when he fought cans time to time, Tyson was must watch TV.

I've just trying to get a read on why Wilder hasn't broken through despite all the KO's among a lot of hardcore boxing fans and the general public as well.
        Mike Tyson was torturing is opponents, he had a menacing look and attitude that seemed all so natural. His fights could of ended via once punch knock out, or a prolonged beat down where? The viewer witnessed, ribs and eye sockets being broken. People noses being snapped and purposely pushed up into their brains 'Violence all around'.

Deontay Wilder is knocking guys out, but he is not really beating them up 'Ortiz's defeat was not really a career ending defeat' where as Mike Tyson's win against Razar Ruddock probably damaged him for the rest of his career.

There is a element missing within Deontay Wilder, that in my opinion does not make him worthy enough of being the baddest man on the planet 'I don't think he has a intimidating aura, and I really don't think his opponents are afraid of him'

Comment

Wilder seems genuinely like a good guy. But his public persona is so scattershot, so all-over-the-map that he makes it hard to fully occupy a place in the popular imagination the way we wish a heavyweight champ could. One day he's being sweet, talking about his kids and his wife. Then he's talking about "wanting a body" on his record. Then hollering "BOMBZ SQUAD" after every remark. And then the ringwalk masks. It's a lot for anyone to absorb, difficult to parse. Without some degree of consistency, or cohesive narrative, it's going to be tough for Wilder to break through to the mainstream public for sure.

Plus, as others have noted - his boxing is dull to watch. With other fights, I'll say it for Tyson, he had the KOs but he also had speed, head movement, and throwing in combination. His talent for KOs fit right alongside his talent for other boxing skills, and those skills could be seen and appreciated by casuals. For Wilder, this isn't the case. His skill at KOs doesn't fit within a body of other skills - it's an outlier, and while it can be an exciting outlier, there just isn't much else to generate excitement during his fights.

Comment

Originally posted by historian larry View Post
            who were these great fighters Tyson was knocking out??
            Lesser Tomato cans

Comment

Less impressive because he's a **** boxer. Fighters like Tyson actually had skill and speed. Wilder is a one trick pony.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                Less impressive because he's a **** boxer. Fighters like Tyson actually had skill and speed.
                What does that say about Joshua's skills man?? he cant take shots, cant duck shots and has no heart yet you cheer for him nonstop...........

Comment

Originally posted by historian larry View Post
                  What does that say about Joshua's skills man?? he cant take shots, cant duck shots and has no heart yet you cheer for him nonstop...........
                  Joshua is way more skilled than Wilder. It's embarrassing that you bring it up. You'd think a so called Mayweather fan would appreciate skill. But you're just a race supporter.

Comment

Wilder could kill a man in a bar fight. With one punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadet Bonespurs View Post
                      Wilder could kill a man in a bar fight. With one punch.
                      Probably some innocent guy after missing the guy he aimed for.

Comment

Working...
                      X