No announcement yet.

Any news on Roman Gonzalez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
    And Roman himself beat Estrada. Dayum the resume is good.
    He beat Estrada in a great fight. Part of me still wants to see a rematch between Gonzalez and Estrada. At this point I favor Estrada to beat Chocolatito convincingly, but at least he has that chance to avenge ALL of his losses.

Comment

Think he's done. Breadman called this years ago - small guys' prime comes much earlier, and they fall off the cliff around 30. I remember watching him fight Arroyo (when RG was #1 P4P), thinking that yeah, he's got skill, but he's getting hit more than his reputation lets on. Then he fought Cuadras and had a pretty rough time due to Carlos being quite a bit bigger, but also playing rough.

The fight against Rungvisai he got bloodied (I believe heads?) very early, but proceeded to stand toe to toe with a bigger man, resulting in fight of the year. In the 2nd fight, he looked.. tired to me. He didn't adjust his style, and he went in there just trying to avenge the loss and knock Rungvisai out. Wrong move.

By now, he's done. I wouldn't pick him to win vs. any Top10 opponent.

Comment

Sur Rungvisai took his soul...but in his prime, Roman Gonzalez was an exceptional offensive fighter, possibly the best in the lower divisions for a long long time but the changing of the guards has occurred and his time is over.

Comment

I was hoping we'd get to see him fight again. He's a small fighter at that age though, so that may be it.

He was a joy to watch back in the day. Past best by the time HBO picked him up but still a great fighter.

Comment

Nietes-Chocolatito fight should happen before they retire... It would serve as their legacy fight...

Comment

Originally posted by historian larry View Post
              Guy went from being p4p #1 to non existent pretty quick
              - -U know nonexistent?

Comment

Working...
              X