Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Canelo/Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there are absolutely no weight restriction meaning no catchweight and no 2nd weigh in then I like the fight and think Kovalev has a chance to win. Any type of weight draining would spoil it for me. Kovalev is already handicapped by returning to the rink so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Barrett, Sr View Post
      Thanks man...I think there are reasons to question whether Kovalev is 'what he was'...but at the same time, as you pointed out, his win over Alvarez was very impressive, to me at least, and Alvarez may well be top 5, or just about as good as anyone else at 175, and Kovalev put on a clinic against him in fight 2.

If Canelo can have success vs Kov at 175 (and for me it is important that there would be no weight restrictions)...I would be extremely impressed...and I don't think people should say 'well he should have faced Bivol, or Beterbiev or the Nail or Callum Smith'...if he had picked one of those guys, then those same people would have said it was for a reason...you can't have it both ways.

Again, to be fair, Canelo is the A side in all of boxing...so if he picks someone, there is reason to think he sees something in them that he can exploit...but I would favor Kov still against anyone at 175...and if he isn't number 1 there he is still close...matchup wise, if Canelo can last the first half of the fight, it is probably a good matchup for him...but in no way would it be an easy fight imo.

I tend to agree with you...but Canelo and co. probably just need to slip a few hundred thousand extra Kov's way for the 'insult' and Kov will end up getting announced first...you know the golden rule, after all...

Brother , think about it , how many more of those golden fights , as the Eleider second fight , does Kovi have left
      Kovi didn’t win that fight , but Alvarez certainly lost it
      Alvarez thought he could go back into the rematch and waited out and ko him again , which was the dumbest fughin plan to go by
      I’ve watched Alvarez from the beginning of his North American career and he is one tough boxer but no ko artist although through his boxing skills he could break a guy down and get the stoppage
      Who the fugh favoured Alvarez to win that first fight , but people were going crazy and insisting he would repeat
      Now who the fugh is Yarde , honestly
      Imo Alvarez has the better resume and is thevall round better boxer
      And yet , Yarde came close to getting Kovi out of there
      People saying yeah but he only won two rounds blah blah blah , I don’t give a fugh cause Yarde’s inexperience and probably that tech nine bullchit training is the only fughin reason he didn’t get him out
      I don’t care if the guy loses eleven out of twelve rounds
      He knocked him out , that’s it , shows over

Canelo will destroy him , will batter him
      Kovi is like a wounded fughin Bambi
      It’s just a matter of time
      And the time is now

Comment

I rate Alvarez quite highly, always have...Kov's dominance over him was impressive...he could have looked a little more dominant vs Yarde, but I was impressed with Yarde in that fight as well.

Kov may be 80% of what he was, he may be 90%. I don't think he is much less than that and probably not a best version, but to me that is due to his poor stamina which appears to be affecting him now more than in previous years.
        Definitely
        What fughin stamina
        Had Yarde any fughin stamina himself , he would won easily
        And back to who the fugh is Yarde

You see where I’m going

Comment

Triple G pissed Canelo off. No fear at all, Canelo would ko Triple G in a third.

Comment

Originally posted by MulaKO View Post
            Brother , think about it , how many more of those golden fights , as the Eleider second fight , does Kovi have left
            Kovi didn’t win that fight , but Alvarez certainly lost it
            Alvarez thought he could go back into the rematch and waited out and ko him again , which was the dumbest fughin plan to go by
            I’ve watched Alvarez from the beginning of his North American career and he is one tough boxer but no ko artist although through his boxing skills he could break a guy down and get the stoppage
            Who the fugh favoured Alvarez to win that first fight , but people were going crazy and insisting he would repeat
            Now who the fugh is Yarde , honestly
            Imo Alvarez has the better resume and is thevall round better boxer
            And yet , Yarde came close to getting Kovi out of there
            People saying yeah but he only won two rounds blah blah blah , I don’t give a fugh cause Yarde’s inexperience and probably that tech nine bullchit training is the only fughin reason he didn’t get him out
            I don’t care if the guy loses eleven out of twelve rounds
            He knocked him out , that’s it , shows over

Canelo will destroy him , will batter him
            Kovi is like a wounded fughin Bambi
            It’s just a matter of time
            And the time is now
            Definitely
            What fughin stamina

You see where I’m going
            I hear ya man...Alvarez did seem to have a dumb gameplan in fight 2...and Yarde was untested...I do think Yarde's size presented problems that Canelo can't, though, as you mentioned, Canelo can probably do some things better than Yarde.

I did just notice that in another thread apparently Canelo thinks that Kov is shot/his legs are shot and that is why he is taking this fight...which makes sense as to them taking the fight...maybe I am wrong and Kov is more shot than I believe...I just don't see a materially different guy than he was a few years ago, other than the stamina issues later in the fight.

Comment

Definitely
              What fughin stamina

You see where I’m going
              I guess what I'm saying is weight classes exist for a reason...and I don't think Kov is done at 175, and if he fought Beterbiev or Bivol I would say it is a pick-em fight, shading it to Kov since he is the known quantity.

Maybe I am wrong though, been wrong before, will be wrong again

If Kov gets beat, I hope he doesn't retire and maybe faces Beterbiev...so we can see what he has left... or I hope Canelo faces the winner of Beterbiev/The Nail...would be hard to hate on him if he does that and wins.

Caveat here btw is if Canelo goes 12 rounds he will very likely win on the cards...so I am not looking forward to that scenario if it happens...where he really loses but his supporters back the result

Comment

I know it's a move up in weight for Canelo, but I think GGG hits harder than Kovalev, and Canelo took some heavy shots. Kov doesn't have GGG's chin, body or stamina and I can see Canelo hurting him. Won't know till we see it though.

Comment

Imho,

Kov is going to test Nelo at the opening bell.

This is the moment of truth -

Can Nelo handle it ? I see his boxing skills being able to withstand Kov's onslaught.
                  I see him catching Kov in an exchange. If Kov laughs it off, Nelo is toast (9th rd tko).
                  I think Nelo will get Kov's attention and this will turn into a boxing match.

Close but Nelo wins.
                  Haters will say Kov was 100 yrs old.
                  Kov will then win his next x amount of fights by ko.

The world will laugh at the haters once again

Comment

I hear ya man...Alvarez did seem to have a dumb gameplan in fight 2...and Yarde was untested...I do think Yarde's size presented problems that Canelo can't, though, as you mentioned, Canelo can probably do some things better than Yarde.

I did just notice that in another thread apparently Canelo thinks that Kov is shot/his legs are shot and that is why he is taking this fight...which makes sense as to them taking the fight...maybe I am wrong and Kov is more shot than I believe...I just don't see a materially different guy than he was a few years ago, other than the stamina issues later in the fight.

Let’s go back to the Yarde fight
                    If not mistaken , around the third round Yarde finally decided to go to the body
                    But the big brain on Yarde threw like maybe six shots , even though very fughin successful
                    Go back and watch it : Kovi cringes like he just got shot

Yes Canelo is smaller , yes Canelo has shorter reach , yes Canelo is not a legitimate light heavyweight
                    Mark my words Canelo will bully his way in ( not saying he will bully Kovi ) to get to that body
                    Kovi won’t have any answers for the volume and the body assault and the fact he can’t fight off his back foot
                    This my man is a cash out at its best
                    Not this Kovi and not this time

Comment

Canelo was close to breaking on the 2nd fight? I have to give that another look because I had it the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                      X