No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kovalev's Scare Shows Importance Of Making Canelo Bout Now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by //// View Post
    I'm not interested because I know it wil have some weird stipulation that sucks the meaning out of the fight..

This is a guy who fought at catchweights with a decimal point. Something that up until that point was a popular joke. There's 100% gonna be some weird stipulation.
    And if there is not will you close your account and admit you don’t know sht about boxing???

Comment

Originally posted by observer View Post
      I feel like all these analyses downplay the abilities of Yarde. Hope Yarde can have a fight with someone meaningful at 175 before long so that we could see whether Kovalev was not at his best or whether Yarde was that good. Personally, I think Yarde is better than people give him credit for.
      He is! He just went from 0-100. He needed a couple of years before he fights the elites at LHW. Should be fighting a couple top 10-15 guys, then work up to 5-9 boxers. Then the elites.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
        I agree with you. I can see Kov has declined drastically compared to say the Pascal fights but Yarde is brute strong and has good body and head movement meaning that Kov repeatedly jabbing him to the head shows just how effective his jab is. It's probably as good as Golovkin's jab but a few degrees harder. Yarde should fight Joe Smith or similar level fighter in Spring '20 to allow himself time to recover - he took a lot of punishment in rounds 9 thru 11
        It’s better than GGG’s. And that left jab should count as power punches.

Comment

Originally posted by 1mb11 View Post
          In my opinion, fight would be awful. Yarde showed Kovalev is washed up. Only person that wins is Kovalev, fans lose because he is done! Cash out ONLY. Canelo vs Sauders different. Saunders in prime. But they won't make that!
          How do? How many rounds did you give Yarde?? 1 legit and that’s it.

Comment

Originally posted by CocoonOfHorror View Post
            As a neutral, I'd be very interested in Canelo vs. Kovalev. I don't really like either of these guys.
            But it will be really intriguing to see if Canelo can take Kovalev's power and get inside to work Kovalev's body.

Betfair and Paddy Power apparently both have Kovalev as a huge underdog at 9/2 odds (!). But we have to wait for the contractual details. If it's a legit 175 with no rehydration clause it seems like close to a 50/50 fight.
            Holy shy!!! I’m jumping on those odds.

Comment

IMO, the takeaway from this fight was that Kovalev has superhuman recovery powers. How many elite LHWs would've still been standing... let alone come back to dominate the rest of the fight? Yes, just like all fighters, he can't get in situations like that very often, or there will be long-range effects. So, he can at least make a good accounting of himself vs Canelo... including a knockdown or two. Then his last fights can be anyone but the top tier LHW contenders. Mikhalkin, Fornling, Hart, Jack.... all would be good 'senior' fights.

And, again, props to Sergey for a stellar performance Saturday. He proved he's still an elite, and his opponent proved he's still green, and has a ridiculous excuse for a trainer.

Comment

This reminds me of Spence vs Garcia in the sense that both guys have more interesting fights in their own divisions, and either guy losing will ruin or at the very least take the shine off those fights.

Comment

take the money for this and run

Comment

Originally posted by P4Pdunny View Post
                    take the money for this and run
                    This is my biggest advice for Kovalev, take the money and run. Do one last fight against a bum in Russia and call it a day. He is done and you got to know when it’s time to call it a day.

Comment

... Kovalev should take that Canelo money and agree upon whatever whatever limitations (CW, rehydration, a.s.o)... and then provide a "nice exhibition fight"...

... but I'm afraid Kova is too much of a candid and a lyrical Russian in order to act like that!...

Comment

Working...
                      X