No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kovalev's Scare Shows Importance Of Making Canelo Bout Now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by //// View Post
    I'm not interested because I know it wil have some weird stipulation that sucks the meaning out of the fight..

This is a guy who fought at catchweights with a decimal point. Something that up until that point was a popular joke. There's 100% gonna be some weird stipulation.
    Team Canelo will make it in the contract that kovalev cant eat from after the weigh ins up until fight night

Comment

I feel like all these analyses downplay the abilities of Yarde. Hope Yarde can have a fight with someone meaningful at 175 before long so that we could see whether Kovalev was not at his best or whether Yarde was that good. Personally, I think Yarde is better than people give him credit for.

Comment

Man I hope they keep pumping canelos chances up and making his “odds” better.

If this fight is at 175lbs with no rehydration clause, I would put good money on canelo losing.

A blown up middleweight who would get jabbed all night long and tire out due to excessive muscle mass.

I’m surprised so many people are confident it’d be competitive.

Canelos only chance is to enforce either a catchweight or rehydration clause. Or both

Comment

I'm against Canelo-Kov being made.
          1/ If it's fought at 175 that means Canelo will most likely struggle to get back to 160 if he can at all (just like Mikey is probably never going to fight at 135 again). He's avoiding fighters he ought to fight like Andrade and the Charlos. He hasn't done anything at 168. He should fight GGG a third time to get a defining win.
          2/ Kov is a fighter in full blown decline yet Canelo wants total credit for a belt at 175.

but .. this is one of those times where the biz of boxing takes precedence over the sport

Comment

Originally posted by observer View Post
            I feel like all these analyses downplay the abilities of Yarde. Hope Yarde can have a fight with someone meaningful at 175 before long so that we could see whether Kovalev was not at his best or whether Yarde was that good. Personally, I think Yarde is better than people give him credit for.
            I agree with you. I can see Kov has declined drastically compared to say the Pascal fights but Yarde is brute strong and has good body and head movement meaning that Kov repeatedly jabbing him to the head shows just how effective his jab is. It's probably as good as Golovkin's jab but a few degrees harder. Yarde should fight Joe Smith or similar level fighter in Spring '20 to allow himself time to recover - he took a lot of punishment in rounds 9 thru 11

Comment

Kov should stay away from Gvozdyk, Beterbiev, and Bivol! Canelo is the best possible choice, and he should be Kov's last professional fight...WIN OR LOSE! 8 figures is a nice retirement plan!

Comment

Kovalev is clearly washed and can't take it to the body, but the size difference is still too much. Even at 160 Canelo isn't a puncher, lil g with his shietty defense was able to go 24 rounds with him without being seriously hurt once. Kovalev will be able to walk right though his punches. Bodyshots from Ward feel a lot different than bodyshots from a midget, natural jr middlewieght Canelo cycled off of the tainted beef.

Kovalev is more capable of hurting and stopping Canelo than Canleo is of hurting and stopping Kovalev. At 175 with no catchweights, no rehydration clauses, i'll take this version of Kovalev over Canelo all day.

Comment

Yes additional blessings in his bank accounts will make everything bearable and acceptable during retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
                    Writer for boxing establishment website: (My personal interpretation)
                    I agree largely with that first part. Canelo is the best fight of the current available options for Kovalev right now in pretty much every conceivable way, but not necessarily in November. Ideally, Kovalev needs at least 4-5 months of clean, Zen, on the wagon living to be optimally prepared for Canelo. It almost assuredly won't play out that way and the fight most likely will happen in Nov per Canelo's wishes with weight clause in tow, so it's a matter of team Kov weighing out that risk-reward. I hesitantly say I still think the Canelo fight under even those suboptimal conditions is still the best option for Kovalev's self interest.

Comment

Like it's some sort of super fight people have been clamoring for lmao

Comment

Working...
                      X