No announcement yet.

Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr Does 403,000 UK Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    You think a million people stayed up all night or got up early to watch & pay $30ish or w/e for a bs fight (that turned out to be not so bs)?

I seriously doubt that.

400k at ~3am is f#cking bananas & probably a record for a awfully timed PPV.
    No, the number is pretty solid for the time and since most people were never really interested in the fight due to Ruiz's physique.

However, I've checked all the credible sources and it's not there. Skysports haven't released the official numbers. The guy on twitter is just looking for a way to chat shyt and you can tell by the tone of the tweet.

I'm going to wait for Sky Sports to release the official numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
      No, the number is pretty solid for the time and since most people were never really interested in the fight due to Ruiz's physique.

However, I've checked all the credible sources and it's not there. Skysports haven't released the official numbers. The guy on twitter is just looking for a way to chat shyt and you can tell by the tone of the tweet.

I'm going to wait for Sky Sports to release the official numbers.
      Does Sky Sports actually ever release official numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
        Does Sky Sports actually ever release official numbers?
        They do. They released the numbers you posted on the first page.

Once the official numbers come out, it's going to be all over the news.

Comment

Sky Sports released those numbers or they got those numbers off the BARB? I don't think Sky Sports actually released PPV figures. I remember every time Hearn was asked about it in the past he would just say they did great numbers but never actually put an official number to it.

Can someone confirm this?

Comment

Oh, it's far from bad. And it is wrong to compare it to any prime time PPV that Joshua had.

But I expected it to still reach the 800k range. So looks like I was off big time on my projections lol. Just thought the type of mega star Joshua is, he's doing those types of numbers regardless of the time and place. But Ruiz was a replacement opponent and was seen as a mismatch so it makes sense. I bet though if the rematch takes place in NY again? It does 800-900k buys in the UK even at 3 am.
            Thats nuts man. 800k for a 3am PPV vs a bs opponent no one knows????

You're making me dig up some numbers lol. Here's some US fights that were UK PPV's that are above these Joshua vs Ruiz figures.

Floyd vs Hatton, 1.1M
            Floyd vs Manny, 876k
            Floyd vs Conor, 874k
            Tyson vs Lennox, 750k
            Tyson vs Bruno II, 600k
            Tyson vs Holyfield II, 550k

There's only been 3 fights that I can find that did 800k+ & those are all Floyd fights. Floyd being the biggest name in the game. And one of those fights is vs Manny the 2nd biggest name in the game. Another one is vs the biggest name in the MMA game. And the third one is Hatton who was among the most popular UK fighters ever.

And the other 3 fights above this one are all Mike Tyson fights who was the biggest PPV guy of his day & is the 3rd biggest PPV guy of all time. And two of his fights are vs two top ten most selling PPV guys of all time & a 3rd guy who was among the most popular UK fighters ever.

But basically if these numbers are legit from my research that would make this PPV the 7th biggest 3am, 4am or w/e UK PPV ever.

So okay Joshua is popular but his B side was Andy f#cking Ruiz. If Joshua is doing 400k vs Ruiz imagine what he'd have done vs Wilder? B sides matter.

Comment

Figures were taken from various media reports and sources, plus the Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board.
              Actually these numbers were not from Sky Sports. I figured they came from BARB as I remember seeing this when the article was posted.

So yeah, good luck waiting for Sky Sports to release a PPV figure they tend to never release.

Comment

You're making me dig up some numbers lol. Here's some US fights that were UK PPV's that are above these Joshua vs Ruiz figures.

Floyd vs Hatton, 1.1M
                Floyd vs Manny, 876k
                Floyd vs Conor, 874k
                Tyson vs Lennox, 750k
                Tyson vs Bruno II, 600k

There's only been 3 fights that I can find that did 800k+ & those are all Floyd fights. Floyd being the biggest name in the game. And one of those fights is vs Manny the 2nd biggest name in the game. Another one is vs the biggest name in the MMA game. And the third one is Hatton who was among the most popular UK fighters ever.

And the other 3 fights above this one are all Mike Tyson fights who was the biggest PPV guy of his day & is the 3rd biggest PPV guy of all time. And two of his fights are vs two top ten most selling PPV guys of all time & a 3rd guy who was among the most popular UK fighters ever.

But basically if these numbers are legit from my research that would make this PPV the 7th biggest 3am, 4am or w/e UK PPV ever.

So okay Joshua is popular but his B side was Andy f#cking Ruiz. If Joshua is doing 400k vs Ruiz imagine what he'd have done vs Wilder? B sides matter.
                I'm well aware of ALL this. But Joshua is also doing numbers in the UK that are unrivaled by NO ONE. He did over 1.5 vs Klitshcko and then damn near matched that number vs Parker. Joshua is insanely huge in the UK. Though I should have taken into consideration the Takam figure beforehand as that one failed to do 900k buys and like Ruiz, he was a replacement.

IF and big IF the rematch is in NY, then my prediction will come true!!! Just will be off by a fight lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
                  If it is true then they are fantastic numbers. Obviously the haters are going to spin a yarn and forget to mention this was in the middle of the night but with that in mind those are great numbers. It certainly shows the difference in him compared to Wilder. Wilder did less PPV's than that against Ortiz on American prime time and Americans on this very forum said they wouldnt pay to watch Wilder fight in any other time zone than a regular Saturday night prime time showing. Well nearly half a million Brits were prepared to stay up all night and pay to watch it on PPV even in this era of illegal streaming.

YES ANTHONY JOSHUA LOST. But if we are talking box office power Anthony Joshua is still the man. Yes it didnt do great in America but Americans dont even bother turning up to watch Americans so it has to be labelled a dead or dying market now.
                  Doing less than half of Hatton vs. Mayweather are great numbers?

Comment

Floyd vs Hatton, 1.1M
                    Floyd vs Manny, 876k
                    Floyd vs Conor, 874k
                    Tyson vs Lennox, 750k
                    Tyson vs Bruno II, 600k

Floyd’s numbers in the UK are massive, especially when you consider the Manny and Conor fights were in the age of illegal streaming, imagine what they might’ve done without that. Pretty impressive really, blew Tyson’s numbers away even when a lot of people chose to stream illegally.

Comment

Okay, I'll admit I was dead wrong on this. I figured that Joshua was going to do close to a million buys regardless of the opponent and the time of the fight. Legit thought he would get to the 800-900k range.

Of course, if the rematch takes place in the UK it will do MASSIVE numbers...Maybe in the 1.5-1.7M range.
                      Those are actually good numbers for a fight that aired around 3 am UK time. Especially considering that Ruiz was seen as a no-hope fall guy by most casual UK fans.

Comment

Working...
                      X