Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Respectable numbers

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
      I edited my reply to you, but peep it again as I updated it with fights that took place in the US that out did this PPV.
      My PPV list is bigger than your PPV list I assure you lol.

But thats neither here nor there cuz PPVs in the US don't matter. The thing to compare this fight to are 3am, 4am fights in the UK. And its up there as you noted in your previous post I quoted.

400k at 3am for a bs fight is AMAZING.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        My PPV list is bigger than your PPV list I assure you lol.

But thats neither here nor there cuz PPVs in the US don't matter. The thing to compare this fight to are 3am, 4am fights in the UK. And its up there as you noted in your previous post I quoted.

400k at 3am for a bs fight is AMAZING.
        Oh, it's far from bad. And it is wrong to compare it to any prime time PPV that Joshua had.

But I expected it to still reach the 800k range. So looks like I was off big time on my projections lol. Just thought the type of mega star Joshua is, he's doing those types of numbers regardless of the time and place. But Ruiz was a replacement opponent and was seen as a mismatch so it makes sense. I bet though if the rematch takes place in NY again? It does 800-900k buys in the UK even at 3 am.

Comment

I can't believe they charging PPV for a fight that aired at 4am in the morning. You need a phuking medal to just stay up and watch that shyt live let alone come out your pockets. lol

The time difference is the biggest reason for why the UK PPVs will be lower, 4am is just way too late for fans to stay up. They have to find a way to start the fight earlier in the US if they want to still sell UK PPVs for Joshua fights. Otherwise you have to sacrifice UK money for US money by fighting in the US. Maybe in the future the compromise is start the fight in the US at about 7-8pm so you still hit that prime time window and in the UK it's Midnight-1am which is normal for big fights. Then you maximizing money on both sides of the pond.
          Last edited by bigdunny1; 06-19-2019, 11:45 AM.

Comment

decent numbers considering the time it aired, I bet the result made it hard for them to sleep afterwards...

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
              Fake news.

Sky is yet to release the numbers.
              Hearn said in an interview today it did less than 500k.

So it sounds about right..

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                I can't believe they charging PPV for a fight that aired at 4am in the morning. You need a phuking medal to just stay up and watch that shyt live let alone come out your pockets. lol

The time difference is the biggest reason for why the UK PPVs will be lower, 4am is just way too late for fans to stay up. They have to find a way to start the fight earlier in the US if they want to still sell UK PPVs for Joshua fights. Otherwise you have to sacrifice UK money for US money by fighting in the US. Maybe in the future the compromise is start the fight in the US at about 7-8pm so you still hit that prime time window and in the UK it's Midnight-1am which is normal for big fights. Then you maximizing money on both sides of the pond.
                It’s even worse if the fight is in LA or Vegas or something, then it’s usually about 5am for the main event because of the 8 hour time difference. The 5 hour new york time difference isn’t too bad sometimes.

I don’t mind personally. Most people i know just make a night of it and stay up drinking. But yeah, obviously most people don’t bother watching, hence the lower buys.

Comment

This is one of the reasons DAZN payed Joshua so much. The main reason being they are trying to sell DAZN to America but The UK revenue was bound to take a hit with the fight time, it was inevitable and in that fee included some compensation for the revenue loss in the UK.

Anybody pointing at nearly half a million PPV sales for a 4am fight as proof or evidence of Joshuas profile being on the shrink is ridiculous. It may take a hit now that he has lost but even then it will only be a very minor hit but to try use those numbers to go on the attack about Joshua or Hearn is weak weak weak.

Comment

Fans in the US are used to going to huge sporting events that start at 7PM (see NBA, Baseball, Hockey, ect). Hell NFL is the biggest sport right now most of those Football games are on weekends at either 1PM or 4PM. The Superbowl which is the biggest event in the country started at 6:30PM if you on the East Coast and 3:30PM if you were on the west coast. I understand boxing fights have been airing later and later at night. But if you trying to double dip the profits in the US and UK for a fighter like Joshua you need to to figure out a way that when he fights on US soil to have his fights earlier.

Another pet peeve of mine is how all these big fights have to be on Saturday night. Well now with so many networks airing fights there just isn't enough Saturday nights. Instead of competing on the same night put more fights on Friday and Sunday nights. Football again is the biggest sport and they play the vast majority of their games on Sunday and the next biggest night for their games is Monday. NBA, Baseball have big games all week long. This idea that a big fight can only happen on Saturday night and it has to start at minimum after 11PM makes no sense.

Comment

The fight was on at 3 am in the morning...of course the buys were low.

Comment

Working...
                      X