No announcement yet.

Think John Skipper just let slip Canelo/Jacobs done 1.2 million in the US

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
    Watching the interview from that point on, interesting that he didn't rule out future PPVs on DAZN. Said the "no more PPV" propaganda is just pretty much public advertising and posturing.

Now, he said he doesn't expect a PPV in the future but didn't exactly shut it down either. If they do PPVs, I'm guessing it will be in the $30-40 range and not the usual $75 dollar PPVs on other networks.
    As a boxing fan, why would you want DAZN to also join the PPV bandit?
    Last edited by BangEM; 06-01-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Ha. I was just saying that to someone a week or so ago & he was saying if DAZN did a PPV they'd go outta business or something nutty like that. If I remembered who that was with or what thread it was in I'd bump it with this news.

For some reason boxing fans are some of the most uncreative mfers out there. I remember when some cats were saying if PBC did a PPV they'd be ruined too lol.

Its business mfers. Sometimes you gotta pivot & adjust to market changes.
      Yep, nothing wrong with that. I mean he already admitted they had to adjust with the price point as they did enough research with customers and realized the free monthly trial wasn't needed anymore and they should go in another direction.

Skipper is no joke. He knows what he is doing. If he feels in the future they may need to do a PPV here and there? Then so be it. Again, nothing concrete and he even said he doesn't anticipate doing PPVs but left the door open for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
        As a boxing fan, why would you want DAZN to also change the PPV bandit?
        Change what exactly? When did I say I want or didn't want PPV? I'm just putting out what was said in that interview and then said if they do go PPV, it likely won't be for the usual $75 dollars.

What exactly are you upset about from my post?

Comment

Yep, nothing wrong with that. I mean he already admitted they had to adjust with the price point as they did enough research with customers and realized the free monthly trial wasn't needed anymore and they should go in another direction.

Skipper is no joke. He knows what he is doing. If he feels in the future they may need to do a PPV here and there? Then so be it. Again, nothing concrete and he even said he doesn't anticipate doing PPVs but left the door open for it.
          Yea I agree. I got more confident about DAZN when I learned more about John Skipper. I still don't know that they'll be the ESPN of streaming (cuz its so early in the game still & everyone isn't even in the game all the way yet), but I know they are gonna have a good gameplan & strategy to try to become that with Skipper running things.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            When they go to ppv and start charging the extra $$ it’s going to be fun watching bigdunny1 , frankie2bans and some others sell us on the virtue of ppv streaming. Lol.

I posted a Forbes article where they said more than half the people that signed up for Dazn with Canelo/fielding dropped the service after the fight.

They need to make Fights available on a per fight basis.
            That's nothing new. DAZN is the new kid on the block and it doesn't have enough content to attract most new users to stay permanently. So this is expected as the company continues to grow and sign marquee talents, while branching into other sports with more commercial value.

The problem with a lot of you is that, you want the company to fail and anything that doesn't look competitive enough with multinationals that have been established for decades, with pedigree and a huge consumer base, is deemed as failure to you lot. You don't understand the fact that it takes considerable time for new businesses to grow in an ultra-competitive environment and their growth percentile can't be compared to the ones that are already established.

I bet you when you start your own business tomorrow, you'd expect it to be on the same level as those that have been in the game decades before you, yes? Laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmore18 View Post
              So head of DAZN basically saying PPV isnt dead lol
              Its a catchy angle doe you must admit.

And I bet they could frame it in a way where it seemed less PPV-y if that makes any sense although I'm at a loss how they'd do that tbf.

Or they could just let Showtime do a PPV & it could be one of those "A Showtime PPV Presented by DAZN" or some fancier word usage type angle with it & then they just take their cut. Or they could just let it be a Showtime PPV & they take their cut without it being officially labeled a DAZN PPV. But its doable in a way that'd be less damaging to their "PPV is dead" ads that I'm positive of.

Comment

The fight did 1.2 worldwide

US was about 200k viewers

Comment

Its a catchy angle doe you must admit.

And I bet they could frame it in a way where it seemed less PPV-y if that makes any sense although I'm at a loss how they'd do that tbf.

Or they could just let Showtime do a PPV & it could be one of those "A Showtime PPV Presented by DAZN" or some fancier word usage type angle with it & then they just take their cut. Or they could just let it be a Showtime PPV & they take their cut without it being officially labeled a DAZN PPV. But its doable in a way that'd be less damaging to their "PPV is dead" ads that I'm positive of.
                  Catchy but not exactly effective IMO? I'm with Evan Rutkowski that they should stop that angle and instead use the angle of PPV like events for the low price of $19.99. Or something like that where you fit in the yearly subscription. The DAZN commercials for the most part are complete duds and just plain bad.

Comment

Yea I agree. I got more confident about DAZN when I learned more about John Skipper. I still don't know that they'll be the ESPN of streaming (cuz its so early in the game still & everyone isn't even in the game all the way yet), but I know they are gonna have a good gameplan & strategy to try to become that with Skipper running things.
                    ESPN is a MACHINE and obviously a proven commodity stateside. So will DAZN be on ESPN's level? Highly highly unlikely, but that's okay. They can still be very successful even if they aren't on ESPN's level. They just have to be a big factor in the US and then do what they have been doing worldwide.

Skipper's interview was legit.

Comment

Change what exactly? When did I say I want or didn't want PPV? I'm just putting out what was said in that interview and then said if they do go PPV, it likely won't be for the usual $75 dollars.

What exactly are you upset about from my post?
                      My bad, I was going to say "join".

I was just looking at it from the perspective of a consumer. Why would you want to pay more for something when you can get it for less? PPV as it's, is a rip off. On the long run, the DAZN model is better and it will expand the fan base of boxing, while still enriching the boxers.

Even when you look at the PPV model, it's driven by excessive profiteering because the broadcasters make more than the boxers. While the consumers overpay for a product they can get for less. And it limits the number of people who consume the sport because not everyone can afford the outrageous PPV price. It is also the reason why boxing has suffered a great deal in terms of reach and why there are more casuals than actual fans.

Comment

Working...
                      X