No announcement yet.

The overrateing of Inoune begins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revelated View Post
    Ring Magazine has always been biased against Floyd. Thus, you're likely talking about the one with Glen Johnson on the cover and Floyd mentioned inside as #1, yet in the 2007 edition, they put Manny on the cover.

Floyd didn't make cover until 2008 - AFTER he beat Oscar and highlighted after beating Hatton that same year.

Everyone's known for years that the person making cover is what matters. At the time, that's what drew fans. Which is why people were so pissed off when they put Ronda Rousey on there because they knew what it implied - that Rousey was better than boxing's elite.
    I agree with the Ronda Rousey part but we are talking about P4P in here not being in a cover magazine. Being in a cover magazine is for the current hot commodities in the sport but it is entirely irrelevant from P4P rankings.

I think it's safe enough to say that Floyd was already #1 before Dela Hoya and you just acknowledged it right above this post. I had no problem with that. It's just that I would like to state that Floyd got it more because of the skills that he displayed in the ring (thus the eye test) than his resume itself.

Comment

If naoya is overrated then what is crawford or spence? lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
        Not to mention that Inoue won his first world title in his sixth professional fight.

3 weight champion in 16 fights at 25 years old. How are people hating on him other than just jealousy?
        He won his first division title against Adrián Hernández, a very bad boxer.

A C class fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
          Ring Magazine has always been biased against Floyd. Thus, you're likely talking about the one with Glen Johnson on the cover and Floyd mentioned inside as #1, yet in the 2007 edition, they put Manny on the cover.

Floyd didn't make cover until 2008 - AFTER he beat Oscar and highlighted after beating Hatton that same year.

Everyone's known for years that the person making cover is what matters. At the time, that's what drew fans. Which is why people were so pissed off when they put Ronda Rousey on there because they knew what it implied - that Rousey was better than boxing's elite.
          Didn’t make the cover until when? Might want to look that up.

He was on the cover as FOTY for 1998 in 99; several more solo or featured as part of a fight WELL before 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by diplo View Post
            What, you mean Inoue's impressive looking wins that have genuinely been impressive. I would say it's fair to praise someone if they've been as impressive as him. Most champs have fought 'nobodies' until 20+ fights, and that's a criticism. Inoue in in the WBSS at 18 fights, and will most likely win. You think a boxer has to start like Loma in order to be considered a great?
            I am talking in general. Casuals can't properly evaluate each win because they can't properly evaluate the opposition. So casuals see a fight without knowing any important context and call people the next "insert name of past great"

Comment

He's more impressive than Crawford... the most overrated bum beating hype job since GGG.

Comment

Here's a guy on Youtube (who tends to make solid, insightful videos) who really doesn't think much of Inoune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpTL7mLoJD0

Comment

Originally posted by Ca$ual Fan View Post
                  I agree with the Ronda Rousey part but we are talking about P4P in here not being in a cover magazine. Being in a cover magazine is for the current hot commodities in the sport but it is entirely irrelevant from P4P rankings.
                  If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around, did it really fall?

Meaning, back then if you were not on that cover, you got limited exposure to casuals walking by the magazine stand.

Cover treatment, TV time, interviews, etc. Are all how you get THE MASSES in agreement that you are the best around. It's not one line in a magazine that nobody will ever read because it's got some guy like Glen Johnson on there after a fluke KO win.

P4P is not about "well the Ring said", it's a consensus, multiple people and credibles in agreement.

For Floyd, that did not happen until he became "Money" Mayweather. That's fact.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    Didn’t make the cover until when? Might want to look that up.

He was on the cover as FOTY for 1998 in 99; several more solo or featured as part of a fight WELL before 2008.
                    FOTY is not P4P.

I'm starting to see why "P4P" is thrown around so much these days and why a guy like Lomachenko who has less fights at pro than guys like Rungvisai did in the same span of time get called "P4P" like it's going out of business over the "eye test".

People don't understand it anymore the way it used to be considered and they're confusing things like "Top 10", "Top 5', "Top 3", "Top 1 in the division", "Unified", "Lineal", "Fighter of the Year", etc. with P4P. Those are NOT P4P!

P4P means you're everywhere, done so much that people have to take notice to you and recognize that you're simply the best at what you're doing at that time, based on your RESUME of who you fought and beat over time. Not just what you did this year or last year.

There's a reason Duran should never have been considered P4P despite being one of the "Four Kings" and easily Top 10-20 all time. He got beat by all the other three! Fair and square.

There's a reason Sugar Ray was considered P4P. It's because he beat most everyone put in front of him until he lost his prime.

But Sugar Ray wasn't called P4P for stopping a prime Floyd Sr (Lomachenko equivalent record).

He wasn't called P4P for stopping a prime Benitez (Crawford equivalent record).

He shouldn't have been called P4P for looking like a beast ("eye test") against a very quality fighter in Andy Price - for the same reason Floyd couldn't claim P4P for his destruction of Arturo Gatti. As beautiful as those beatdowns were, they were against fighters in STEEP physical decline.

Arguably, Ray didn't get P4P until he beat Hearns - by that time, two of the four Kings lost to this man in their primes. He'd go on to beat the third, in his prime, in a different weight class - one he wasn't ever fully comfortable in.

In order for me to call Inoue a P4P, he'd have to beat someone at the level of Estrada or Rungvisai, clearly and decisively, now. Not 4 years from now. Not just a "Top 10" whatever. I'm talking about guys who are CLEAR threats to him and he walks right through fire to beat them. I haven't seen that yet.

Seriously, consider this: Would you have called Eubank P4P for sparking Dos Santos the way he did? Would you have called Hamed P4P for sparking Said Lawal the way he did? NO. Neither opponent was worth all that much to the resume, first of all. Second, before those fights Eubank and Hamed hadn't really fought anybody.

You can't give accolades like that just because guys give stunning knockouts of lesser guys. And that's what I'm seeing around here.
                    Last edited by Combat Talk Radio; 05-20-2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
                      Wow K0 power really does something to people.

People saying hes the next Pac and telling him to move up as high as 130/135?

Hes a good fighter, but dont compare him to Pac. The cans hes fighting are not even close to who Pac fought.

Lets see him fight at 122 first someone like Navarrete who would really have a huge size advantage not just be taller than Inoue but look like a skinny twigs. Inoune has a wider frame. He is not smaller.

If a washed Nonito is the 2nd best fighter in the division that says a lot.
                      This post aged REALLY well. Kudos.

Comment

Working...
                      X