DAZN has exceeded 4M subscribers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
    That's nothing bruh.

There's a reason why the Canelo DAZN threads were locked.

Truth is, consumers like niche news, things...all the Canelo watchers in the last 5 years for example ASK, how can I watch Canelo this year...

These are just Canelo fans. These fans have a $20 May option or $100 for the whole year. Most Canelo fans know he fights TWICE on Mexican holidays. As things build up, fans and general news will remind people why DAZN has such great value.

The real reason why Showtime and ESPN are afraid of DAZN to monopolize is because of the PAYS you could get on DAZN. They know other fighters read the news.

So an ESPN+ or PBC fighter would ask, how does DAZN offer that much? It's not that DAZN has so much money, it's because its the right thing to do. Same way a blockbuster movie pays a Hollywood star so much because the producers know they'll receive the return, and its better to pay the actor a high premium so no law suits come into play.

The real question is, will CBS Sports or Disney willing to give other fundamental star purses to boxers in order for them to stay?
    Agree. Haymon is absolutely committed to a policy of non- cooperation with DAZN. But he cannot win in the long term- one day Wilder will lose his belt to a cherry pick gone wrong, and Haymon's influence will diminish significantly

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      What??? lol they only launched on Aug 2016 in like 1 or 2 countries at first. A year later added like 2 more countries. Only launched in the US 7 months ago. They launched in Italy early this year. Only launched in Spain like a month ago. They are not even at the 3 year mark anniversary and half the countries they less then 1 year in and they already have exceeded 4M subscribers.
      They're aggressive, I'll give them that. After this month their subs will go down in the states.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        It's almost meaningless without context because we don't know if it's nearly 1M current or nearly 1M have paid at some point (and may or may not have canceled). Either way, it's weaker than I expected. If I was an investor I'd be crying over those numbers. But, we'll see what happens. Hopefully Cinco pulls in some subs.
        Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Ok, I agree the TS could be lying and has an agenda. That said, the article didn't state what you posted. It didn't say 'close to 1 million". It said "approaching", which is a vague term that leads the reader but avoids a definitive statement. It could be 750k, but it could be 150k.

I just wanted to clarify that. I am in no way saying his figure of 43 k is correct or believable.

I agree and said same to Redd Foxx. I expect just like most PPV sales are day of, I expect a lot of DAZN sales day of. He made a good point though, you don't know how many subscribers have canceled after the free month.
        Alvarez’s inaugural fight with DAZN in December drove hundreds of thousands of people to sign up for the service, but barely half of them stuck around beyond the one-month free trial to pay the $9.99 monthly rate. More than 90% of customers who cancelled the service said another Alvarez fight is what would get them to pay..
        This gives us a good idea where they're at. They're nowhere near 1mil subs in the U.S They're relying on Canelo to one again bring hundreds of thousands of subs to get them near 1 mil.

Let's say Canelo brought 600k a subs (that's on the very high side for Rocky Fielding) They retained 300k. They also said 90% said a Canelo fight would get them to subscribe again. So they haven't been subscribing since the last Canelo fight. So this fight Canelo brings another 600k subs and that puts them at 900k, close to 1mil. So when they say they're hoping to be around 1mil or over for the Canelo fight that lets you know they're sub 400k right now. Like I already told y'all in another thread.

Keep thinking I'm talking out my ass tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Idk. There in 10 coutries. Thats 400k per country avg. Or to directly compare it to the US in revenue its $40M to $96M a year. Thats not even or barely covering the Canelo deal & they got more boxing & other sports they are paying for.

Good thing for them is they are supposed to be in debt at this point (only they know for sure if they are in an expected point of debt, a unfavorable level of debt or a favorable level of debt) + the cool part of being global is they are reducing their cost per sport by using them for multiple countries in some cases when they can secure the rights.
          4 years in the game they not even at 3 years and they didn't launch all at once. Half of the countries haven't even been live 1 year. The 2 countries that launched in late 2016 they already dominate in. Japan alone is one of the 2 and they are now number 1 sports provider.

DAZN (pronounced “da zone”) streams live sports for a monthly fee. Headquartered in London, it launched in Germany and Japan in 2016; it’s the No. 1 sports platform in Japan where it has rights to domestic soccer and baseball as well as MLB, NFL and UEFA Champions League. It now operates in nine countries including Canada, Italy and Spain with the German service also available in Austria and Switzerland. And later this month, it will launch in Brazil.

They started with 2 late 2016. One year later they were so successful they launched 2 more countries. Starting less then a year ago they launched 5 more over course of months. More then half the countries they on haven't even been live 1 year yet they already at least past 4M subscribers in such a short time.

Comment

How many countries is ESPN+ in?

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
              They're aggressive, I'll give them that. After this month their subs will go down in the states.
              lol.

There's no such thing as a PPV retainment! If someone buys a PPV for a fight... why would there be a subscription for something that doesn't exist afterwards, for the reason they bought the product to begin with?

Still lost?

The point is to SELL a sub, be it $20 or $100. That's called revenue. How do you think PPV works?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
                lol.

There's no such thing as a PPV retainment! If someone buys a PPV for a fight... why would there be a subscription for something that doesn't exist afterwards, for the reason they bought the product to begin with?

Still lost?

The point is to SELL a sub, be it $20 or $100. That's called revenue. How do you think PPV works?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  How many countries is ESPN+ in?
                  Only the US. That's why I'm not getting why they're acting like it's a victory they have more subs than ESPN plus And ESPN plus has exclusive rights to UFC PPV so they're bringing in more money outside their subscriptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
                    We'll see that's why they added the annual pay structure and increased monthly to give incentive for fans to subscribe at a better price to avoid fans just paying 9.99 to see canelo then canceling. Similar to what MLB TV and NBA Game pass does where they price the montlhy much higher to get fans to subscribe for the year. How they do in the US after Canelo Jacobs will be interesting to see. But multiple reports saying they on track or will succeed 1M subscribers in US alone. The key is how many get year subscription and how many they keep after Canelo's fight. And how many just wait until Sept to subscribe again just for Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                      4 years in the game they not even at 3 years and they didn't launch all at once. Half of the countries haven't even been live 1 year. The 2 countries that launched in late 2016 they already dominate in. Japan alone is one of the 2 and they are now number 1 sports provider.

DAZN (pronounced “da zone”) streams live sports for a monthly fee. Headquartered in London, it launched in Germany and Japan in 2016; it’s the No. 1 sports platform in Japan where it has rights to domestic soccer and baseball as well as MLB, NFL and UEFA Champions League. It now operates in nine countries including Canada, Italy and Spain with the German service also available in Austria and Switzerland. And later this month, it will launch in Brazil.

They started with 2 late 2016. One year later they were so successful they launched 2 more countries. Starting less then a year ago they launched 5 more over course of months. More then half the countries they on haven't even been live 1 year yet they already at least past 4M subscribers in such a short time.
                      Like I said idk if its where they wanna be or not. They are for sure in debt. If its expected, better or worse then expected only they know.

I suspect its not f#cking great in the US since they altered their price super early in the game. Plus breaking down the average over 10 countries ($40M to $96M) to what we know about the US potentially isn't even covering Canelo's deal ($66M/year) is definitely a lot of f#cking debt in the US when you consider there is other boxing, Bellator + other sports that are expenses + the cost of production + on air talent.

Comment

Working...
                      X