Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tyson Fury: I'm Lineal Champ - My Status Goes Back a 100 Years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    Actually this is not correct.

Lewis beat Briggs for the lineal title, who had beaten Foreman, who beat Moorer, who beat Holyfield, who beat Douglas, who beat Tyson, who beat Spinks, who beat Holmes, who beat Ali etc.

Lennox Lewis' lineage was legit.
    Technically, you’re right. But the problem is Foreman didn’t fight anybody with a pulse for like three years after winning the title. And nobody respected his title when he was beaten. I honestly had forgotten that he had even lost to Briggs. That’s the problem with lineal titles. And the reality is, Lewis was never viewed as the man in the division until he beat Holyfield. Foreman’s reign was very similar to what Adonis Stevenson did with the lineal light heavyweight title recently.

Comment

Fury is exactly right. He and he alone controls the heavyweight lineage until he loses it in the ring or officially retires. The title can't be stripped, banned or vacated by anybody else.

They tried to strip it from Muhammad Ali during the Vietnam war but he was still recognized the lineal champion leading up to the Fight Of The Century, officially losing it Joe Frazier. It then went from Frazier to Foreman back to Ali to Leon Spinks back to Ali to Holmes to Michael Spinks to Tyson to Buster Douglas to Holyfield to Bowe back to Holyfield to Michael Moorer back to Foreman to Shannon Briggs to Lennox Lewis to Rahman back to Lewis.

After Lewis retired, the title was vacant during the reign of the Klitschko brothers because the consensus #1 and #2 fighters refused to fight each other. Wladimir was incorrectly named the lineal champion after beating #3 Ruslan Chagaev for the RING belt, but boxing purists recognized Wladimir as the lineal champion after Vitali retired, when Wladimir beat the consensus #2 Povetkin. Wladimir owned the lineage for two years until Fury beat him and Fury has been the lineal champion ever since. Now people are trying to strip it from Fury, but the only way to do that is to beat it from him in the ring.
      Last edited by davefromvancouv; 05-03-2019, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
        Technically, you’re right. But the problem is Foreman didn’t fight anybody with a pulse for like three years after winning the title. And nobody respected his title when he was beaten. I honestly had forgotten that he had even lost to Briggs. That’s the problem with lineal titles. And the reality is, Lewis was never viewed as the man in the division until he beat Holyfield. Foreman’s reign was very similar to what Adonis Stevenson did with the lineal light heavyweight title recently.
        I am right. The lineage was won with Lewis vs Briggs.

Lewis was seen as THE champ when he beat Holyfield, but that's not the same as lineage.

And I think it's important that everyone understands the difference.

Fury doesn't really have lineage, and even if he did it wouldn't necessarily mean anything. For sure, right now it means nothing.

Comment

Leave it to goofball Tyson Fury to diminish the prestige of the HW lineage. If there was a way that this clown could be stripped of the lineage he would of lost it long ago, like how he lost : WBA, IBF, WBO, RING and his balls.

Comment

Fury was the one who ended the Klitschko era. That is without question.

His status only goes back that far, though. Not 100 years.

Comment

Tyson the real deal Fury is Emiritus champ which is why he can fight whoever whenever. The belts he took from Klits he gave it up now wilder and aj temporarily holding them for him
              Last edited by lowblows420; 05-03-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

sounds like a broken record

Comment

Originally posted by davefromvancouv View Post
                  Fury is exactly right. He and he alone controls the heavyweight lineage until he loses it in the ring or officially retires. The title can't be stripped, banned or vacated by anybody else.

They tried to strip it from Muhammad Ali during the Vietnam war but he was still recognized the lineal champion leading up to the Fight Of The Century, officially losing it Joe Frazier.
                  Everyone thinks they have the definitive answer. Everyone disagrees over at least some portion of the lineage. How arrogant would someone need to be to claim that they and they alone have the answer?

I think even Ali would have disagreed with your version. He retired so that Frazier could fight Ellis for the lineal title.

History brings the line back together. But it's very rarely certain at any point.

Which is why Fury claiming it is nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                    I am right. The lineage was won with Lewis vs Briggs.

Lewis was seen as THE champ when he beat Holyfield, but that's not the same as lineage.

And I think it's important that everyone understands the difference.

Fury doesn't really have lineage, and even if he did it wouldn't necessarily mean anything. For sure, right now it means nothing.
                    ... actually, in case Lennox Lewis comes back today he may claim that he's the "lineal champ", right?

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                      ... actually, in case Lennox Lewis comes back today he may claim that he's the "lineal champ", right?
                      One cannot be lineal champion once a title is either forfeited by loss or retirement it gets passed down to whoever holds that belt or when a belt becomes vacant .

One can make the case that Wlad actually became the lineal champion once Fury left he was no longer lineal because you NEED a belt to claim that so the whole argument is ******ed bc it's actually Joshua since he has Furys belts and we know Wilder is a waste and lost his last fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X