No announcement yet.

Even in his prime, Khan was never some sort of master boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even in his prime, Khan was never some sort of master boxer

I don't want people or anyone calling me wrong, or just saying "nah man he was fast and stuff" I want a comprehensive break down but here's mine. I love Crawford, this isn't some thing I just thought of after he lost to Crawford, I've always thought this. He's one of the most overrated fighters and had he fought any of the Cotto's,Floyds, Manny, Shane, Thurman, Spence or etc in their primes, he would have gotten destroyed.

1.) For someone with that deep of an amateur background, he has some of the most terrible ring IQ i've ever seen in a world level fighter. Period. Against world class opponents this idiot is throwing 4-5 punch combinations in the opening rounds. **** you're only supposed to after after you know your opponent is fatigued or in a position where either they can't punch back..or if they do it will be of limited force.

2.) He has to lead with his feet to punch, and telegraphs his punches not only with his feet, but also his hands and he tenses up when throwing a punch.

3.) Bad defense, not focusing on the body enough, and not being conscientious that there's a second half to a fight. Every time he's been knocked out save for Canelo, it's been in the early/first half of the fight. Instead of trying to get guys that pack power to slow down/ fatigue, so their punches aren't homeruns, he swings full force on guys with a head full of steam.

4.) He attacks in a straight line, every single time.(Crawford took advantage of this) Like I said before he has to take his feet with him when he punches, if you get him flat footed he will glove up and put on his ear muffs. Khan has decent pop but because he never sits on his punches, his punches don't really affect anybody for the most part, and I'd argue in this last few years where Hunter has highlighted that to an extreme. He's become close to a pillow fisted fighter for the most part.

5.) He has zero inside game, and instead of practicing the inevitable knowing that someone is eventually going to get on the inside of you, he neglects it and just prays he can keep someone on the outside(Like a Lara but nowhere near as skillful)

Bonus.) People say he's outboxing people until he gets stopped or caught. Sorry man , if you get set up in a trap, countered, and knocked out. You're not outboxing a god damn thing. I wouldn't even say he outboxes people, he outspeeds them. Just about anybody worth their wait in salt would have always found him, caught him in the middle of exchanges and knocked him out. That has always make no sense.."He was outboxing them" That's like saying a team was up 7 in the fourth quarter, only for the opposing team to come back and win by 21.

Guys I consider very good to great outboxers: Lomachenko, Rigondeaux, Fury,Thurman, Crawford, Usyk, Saunders, Lara, Mikey Garcia(Even though he got thrashed he is a great out boxer), Ortiz, etc.
    Last edited by WhatDisButtonDo; 04-22-2019, 12:17 AM.

Originally posted by WhatDisButtonDo View Post
    I don't want people or anyone calling me wrong, or just saying "nah man he was fast and stuff" I want a comprehensive break down but here's mine. I love Crawford, this isn't some thing I just thought of after he lost to Crawford, I've always thought this. He's one of the most overrated fighters and had he fought any of the Cotto's,Floyds, Manny, Shane, Thurman, Spence or etc in their primes, he would have gotten destroyed.

1.) For someone with that deep of an amateur background, he has some of the most terrible ring IQ i've ever seen in a world level fighter. Period. Against world class opponents this idiot is throwing 4-5 punch combinations in the opening rounds. **** you're only supposed to after after you know your opponent is fatigued or in a position where either they can't punch back..or if they do it will be of limited force.

2.) He has to lead with his feet to punch, and telegraphs his punches not only with his feet, but also his hands and he tenses up when throwing a punch.

3.) Bad defense, not focusing on the body enough, and not being conscientious that there's a second half to a fight. Every time he's been knocked out save for Canelo, it's been in the early/first half of the fight. Instead of trying to get guys that pack power to slow down/ fatigue, so their punches aren't homeruns, he swings full force on guys with a head full of steam.

4.) He attacks in a straight line, every single time.(Crawford took advantage of this) Like I said before he has to take his feet with him when he punches, if you get him flat footed he will glove up and put on his ear muffs. Khan has decent pop but because he never sits on his punches, his punches don't really affect anybody for the most part, and I'd argue in this last few years where Hunter has highlighted that to an extreme. He's become close to a pillow fisted fighter for the most part.

5.) He has zero inside game, and instead of practicing the inevitable knowing that someone is eventually going to get on the inside of you, he neglects it and just prays he can keep someone on the outside(Like a Lara but nowhere near as skillful)

Bonus.) People say he's outboxing people until he gets stopped or caught. Sorry man , if you get set up in a trap, countered, and knocked out. You're not outboxing a god damn thing. I wouldn't even say he outboxes people, he outspeeds them. Just about anybody worth their wait in salt would have always found him, caught him in the middle of exchanges and knocked him out. That has always make no sense.."He was outboxing them" That's like saying a team was up 7 in the fourth quarter, only for the opposing team to come back and win by 21.

Guys I consider very good to great outboxers: Lomachenko, Rigondeaux, Fury,Thurman, Crawford, Usyk, Saunders, Lara, Mikey Garcia(Even though he got thrashed he is a great out boxer), Ortiz, etc.

good points, if anything that would change or make kahn better if he could adjust his body punching. after the prescott fight khan was never the same.

Comment

Can't argue with that.

Khan made the best with what he had, and his speedy salvos were everything he was about precisely because he lacked is so many other departments. In his prime, that was enough to get him some decent wins, but I always think he would have lost to Brook because of his timing and punch variation.

Comment

Absolutely great points on all counts,I was arguing with some clown khan fanboi earlier today on the main fight thread about exactly what you wrote & this clown was trying to claim the talking pts you mentioned as excuses 4 A mere Con. Con has ALWAYS been too unfocused,& has never taken the sport seriously enough to actually work on these things. Instead he believes the talking pts such as "he was winning til the kd" or "he was the overall more impressive fighter on the night vs Canelo"(the idiot whom I was debating with actually said those cringy qoutes & was serious,he also got angry that I said Khan is as washed up as they come. You can't make up this level of stupid)

Comment

No shit.

Khan has incredible hand speed and that is about it.

Comment

100%. Khan wins the early rounds, because he starts fast right at the start of a fight and it takes time to get used to the speed, but after a while he always gets timed and trapped by superior boxers.

If he were a master boxer, he shouldnt be so easy to figure out and start outboxing his opponents the longer the fight goes.
            But all he has is really fast handspeed and decent footspeed, but his footwork at the same time is really ineffective.

Comment

Sr said it best

Laughed my b0ll0cks off searching for this and seeing all the titles

"I don't want Khan to get a payday, he's a ***''
              "Sr blasts Amir Khan says he'll fight him himself''
              "I hope Floyd tears his ass out the frame''
              "Floyd sr still not sold on Amir Khan 'If you look at his chin too hard..."

Sr is a funny dude.

Comment

A prime khan is a physical monster. Constantly running around the fuking ring doing your head in and blitzing you with overwhelming speed and combo's. Most guys without real power will have a hard time with that khan because when he was with roach and ariza and was in that insane shape he could take a hell of a punch. Guys like mayweather and even spence who is not a good counter puncher and doesnt have one punch power would suffer fits vs a prime khan, mayweather more so since spence would eventually be on him late. This is why they say you can't outbox him, not so much that he's a master boxer.

Comment

Khan was a great athlete, or rather very good athlete.
                  But even.in.prime he was beaten by presscot. He did very well to beat Madiana and presscott. Yes, I thought he did enough against ped presscot

Comment

He lost to Peterson on points. Canelo was ahead on the cards when he KOed Khan. Khan had fast hands and boxed well at times but he certainly was never a master boxer as much as he loved to say he was. He had some really bad performances against Algieri, Diaz and Vargas and he was inconsistent.

Comment

Working...
                    X