No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jermall Charlo-Brandon Adams on 6/15 or 6/8, on Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    The WBO isn't in the "respect each other's mandatory" pact, but I understand the thought.

If Canelo gives up the belt, then he gives up the belt; the WBC isn't dead without Canelo, and there's no doubt in my mind that they will have him in position to get a WBC shot again whenever he's ready.

Canelo can fight whomever he wants; as long as he beats Jacobs, his September fight simply won't have the WBC belt attached to it
    oh it will, and im willing to bet my account on it, not that i care so much about this, but im so confident on this... sulaiman isnt forcing canelo into vacating again... not like haymon is going to care anyways, he and his fighters have had such a good treatment from the wbc in the past(adonis,floyd,wilder,etc) and i will find it hard to believe he is willing to risk any of that for someone like charlo(no disrespect)... i have yet to hear anyone from the wbc claiming canelo-jacobs winner should fight charlo next...
    Last edited by icha; 04-03-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
      I agree about context, the thing is though - love him or hate him, GGG was the boogeyman at MW for a good 5+ year stretch. A lot of guys around that weight didn't want to face him at 160 as the reward and risk ratio were out of whack for them. GGG still was fighting more or less the best possible opponent every time out though. He racked up a lot of good KO wins in that stretch against good and really good fighters.

For Charlo, I don't mind a couple tune ups at a higher weight. But when your last 4 at MW are Heiland (one leg), Centeno (honestly awful) and Korobov (good fighter but everyone thought he was retired and had a weak chin) and now Adams. Vs GGG's last 4 are Canelo twice and Jacobs and then Vanes. No real comparison there and Charlo age wise should be in his prime vs GGG at the tail end of his.

I mean the only guys Charlo has ever faced that we know are good or OK fighters are Korobov and Trout and he went 12 hard rounds with them. GGG has like 15 of those guys on his resume and they are all KO wins.

I like Charlo but there is no real excuse to have those 4 guys as your first 4 at MW. Not if you claim to be the man. I don't mind a couple tune ups, and honestly if he wants a stay busy fight then Adams is maybe the best he can do here.

But seems clear that if he wants the big fights he has to go to DAZN. And he is 28, I think it needs to start happening soon. All the other top guys are at DAZN, he could have 5 more fights at MW and not have any of the top 4 MWs on his resume at that point. That's crazy.
      He was the boogeyman, until he wasn't.

Sturm, Maravilla, and Cotto all chose more marketable fights than bother with Golovkin, but let's not act like those were the only fights. Golovkin pulled up Rosado from 154, and was set to fight Pirog before his injury, but note the style matchup for the fights that he did take.

No Peter Quillin, no Andy Lee, no Hassan N'Dam, no Danny Jacobs (cancer likely stalled that out, tbf; but even when he was mandated to fight him, Golovkin and his camp slow-walked the fight), no Billy Joe Saunders, etc.

Not going to argue the results of any of the matchups, but while Golovkin was chasing Maravilla/Cotto/Alvarez, his camp seemed to make the deliberate choice of only looking to match Golovkin with guys of a certain style.

Charlo is into his run at 160lbs, he's been positioned pretty well, but the politics are the politics.

Brandon Adams seems set to be Charlo's 3rd defense of his interim title, and then Charlo will end the year with his first world title fight (unless Jacobs beats Canelo, the likely Alvarez-Golovkin 3 fight in September will likely be without the full WBC title), potentially against Korobov again.

With a world title around his waist, Charlo will simply keep fighting the best available challenger, and we'll see what the resume looks like in 3-4 more fights.

Eventually folks will have to fight Jermall Charlo, and he won't have to give up his next 3-4 fights either

Comment

• I wonder if Mell is gonna get his chance to get his belt back from Harrison that he should never had lost.I thought that was a bad dec not the worst but wrong but he needs to forget about what he thinks is this new found power and get back to letting his hands go more and boxing.If KO comes great but he has been sitting on his hands too much last few fights imo.Although when i think about they should not fight on same card I think it was pretty clear Mall wa thinking too much about his brother instead of getting ready mentally for his opponent.What would happen if one got KTFO and other had to fight while other gets checked at hospital?
        Last edited by john l; 04-03-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
          lol you think the feds are going to investigate the WBC because Charlo isn't getting a title shot. You are a funny guy.
          I think a stated non-profit organization, going against their own decree and charter, to back a fight that they've already refused, all in the name of getting a bigger sanctioning fee is a sleazy enough move to get do-gooders to stick their nose into the WBC's business, opening the chance for someone stumbling upon some other silliness.

The IBF wasn't always the IBF; they spent too long fudging their business, setting up certain fights because the money was better, and they got burned for it.

History is prologue

Comment

Sturm, Maravilla, and Cotto all chose more marketable fights than bother with Golovkin, but let's not act like those were the only fights. Golovkin pulled up Rosado from 154, and was set to fight Pirog before his injury, but note the style matchup for the fights that he did take.

No Peter Quillin, no Andy Lee, no Hassan N'Dam, no Danny Jacobs (cancer likely stalled that out, tbf; but even when he was mandated to fight him, Golovkin and his camp slow-walked the fight), no Billy Joe Saunders, etc.

Not going to argue the results of any of the matchups, but while Golovkin was chasing Maravilla/Cotto/Alvarez, his camp seemed to make the deliberate choice of only looking to match Golovkin with guys of a certain style.

Charlo is into his run at 160lbs, he's been positioned pretty well, but the politics are the politics.

Brandon Adams seems set to be Charlo's 3rd defense of his interim title, and then Charlo will end the year with his first world title fight (unless Jacobs beats Canelo, the likely Alvarez-Golovkin 3 fight in September will likely be without the full WBC title), potentially against Korobov again.

With a world title around his waist, Charlo will simply keep fighting the best available challenger, and we'll see what the resume looks like in 3-4 more fights.

Eventually folks will have to fight Jermall Charlo, and he won't have to give up his next 3-4 fights either

wow nothing of what you said was true at all and what you said doesnt even make sense anyway. he avoided a certain style then you listed saunders and lee under that style. yeah those guys have very similar styles...

he avoided quillin and ndam when it was them who turned down ggg so complete crap there.

he avoided lee hmm he was set to fight him then his dad died so he pulled out. yep you caught him good. his dad is really still alive but they faked his death cause he was scared of lee's slick style.

he slow walked the jacobs fight is mind bobblingly wrong. jacobs is the one that was stalling. jacobs. he wanted more money and refused to fight unless he got it. he even said if it goes to purse bid i'm not fighting so if ggg really wanted to avoid a certain style like you claimed you know what he could have done? gone to purse bid which was his right to do. instead because he wanted the fight so much he gave him a 40 percent split instead of the 25 which was mandated. here's more money can we please fight SLOW WALKED THE FIGHT!

as for avoiding saunders...he literally offered saunders 1.5 million dollars which was his career high by far at that time. ggg was avoiding a certain style according to you but then offering them career high paydays at the same time? your argument makes no sense and you know it. then later they were set to fight and canelo said i will not fight if you fight saunders. pretty obvious there. then they were set to fight again if canelo didnt take the rematch but he did. trying to fight a guy over and over again=avoiding?

you tried to fit a square peg into a round hole and failed. next time instead of starting with your conclusion and trying to fit everything into it just look at the facts. that way your bias won't guide you. sometimes fights dont happen and there are pretty clear reasons as to why. yes if you ignore those reasons or make up ones that didnt really happen you can come to any conclusion you want. be better. or actually be best like melanie ***** says
            Last edited by daggum; 04-03-2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Perhaps you misunderstood, but my point in referencing GGG's boogeyman status was to say that for a much longer time GGG was much more avoided than Jermall is right now. Yet GGG was still able to compile a very good resume with very good results in that timeframe. I personally would argue that is primarily because boxing-wise GGG is levels above Charlo but I would like Charlo to prove me wrong in his coming fights when he fights the top guys at 160.

Man I just honestly don't understand how people can say some stuff that is said on here lol. I can understand viewing a fighter or a fight a certain way. For example - maybe you look at GGG's career and feel he was protected. You could make an argument for that about any fighter in a way. I honestly don't see that at all with GGG - he basically fought about 15-20 different types of guys throughout his career, all different styles (big, small, fast, big punchers etc), all basically in their primes and he pretty much ran through all of them.

I agree that every fighter/his team will try and manage their guy the best way and get him to take the best fights he can for his career. But someone like GGG never really had that luxury to call the shots. He has been a star in boxing for a while but never really a king-maker. His opponent would make as much fighting someone else as they would with him. As you see below Quillin, among others, basically admitted as much.

The only benefit fighting GGG really brought was the belts and the acclaim if you actually beat him. So it's not like he ever had the luxury to turn down another top guy that wanted to fight him.

Also - It is all pretty well documented that Quillin never wanted GGG, Lee was one of the few willing to step up to GGG, but GGG's dad died and that fight got postponed, then Lee started losing so it lost the shine that it had.

Jacobs I think admitted in his comeback from cancer that he wanted more time before the GGG fight, which I feel was perfectly understandable. I thought that was common knowledge. Not to mention that Danny in a way to many seemed to be trying to get out of the fight when it was mandated by saying he didn't want the 75-25 split and GGG then gave him considerably more, when he didn't have to, just to get the fight made. Not sure how anyone could say GGG was ducking N'dam but I guess I have heard it all :0 lol. N'dam had a shot at GGG a few years ago and gave up his belt rather than face GGG.

Not exactly sure what those guys/styles you mentioned have in common as well. GGG went in there with Lemieux and Stevens who punch harder than Quillin. I agree that a Lee fight would have been an interesting fight but if GGG KOed him the people who don't give GGG any credit now would just say Lee ****** and was a bum and was KOed by Chavez Jr (that part is true lol).

I am all for changing my opinion based on new information but based on everything I've seen with GGG he has never really ducked away from a fair challenge, has a lot of impressive performances on his resume, has never been dominated in the ring in all those fights, was always fair enough when he was the A-side, and knew his role as well when he was the B-side. The only time he got a little uppity as the B-side was with Canelo multiple times, but fortunately that all worked out extremely well for him, monetarily speaking.

https://www.balls.ie/boxing/golovkin-vs-andy-lee-358667

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxin...195021380.html

https://www.************.com/2015/12...mes-at-a-cost/

https://www.boxingscene.com/daniel-j...ber-10--112284

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJuwAz-ekoQ
              Saunders comments about fighting GGG in 2015

“I can say one thing about Gennady Golovkin, he’s a good fighter, but those types of fights come at a cost, and come at a price,” Quillin said to Michelle Phelps.

I’m not worried about fighting Gennady Golovkin. When it comes time to fight him, give me what I want. That’s all,” Quillin said.
              Last edited by Boxing_1013; 04-03-2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
                wow nothing of what you said was true at all and what you said doesnt even make sense anyway. he avoided a certain style then you listed saunders and lee under that style. yeah those guys have very similar styles...

he avoided quillin and ndam when it was them who turned down ggg so complete crap there.

he avoided lee hmm he was set to fight him then his dad died so he pulled out. yep you caught him good. his dad is really still alive but they faked his death cause he was scared of lee's slick style.

he slow walked the jacobs fight is mind bobblingly wrong. jacobs is the one that was stalling. jacobs. he wanted more money and refused to fight unless he got it. he even said if it goes to purse bid i'm not fighting so if ggg really wanted to avoid a certain style like you claimed you know what he could have done? gone to purse bid which was his right to do. instead because he wanted the fight so much he gave him a 40 percent split instead of the 25 which was mandated. here's more money can we please fight SLOW WALKED THE FIGHT!

as for avoiding saunders...he literally offered saunders 1.5 million dollars which was his career high by far at that time. ggg was avoiding a certain style according to you but then offering them career high paydays at the same time? your argument makes no sense and you know it. then later they were set to fight and canelo said i will not fight if you fight saunders. pretty obvious there. then they were set to fight again if canelo didnt take the rematch but he did. trying to fight a guy over and over again=avoiding?

you tried to fit a square peg into a round hole and failed. next time instead of starting with your conclusion and trying to fit everything into it just look at the facts. that way your bias won't guide you. sometimes fights dont happen and there are pretty clear reasons as to why. yes if you ignore those reasons or make up ones that didnt really happen you can come to any conclusion you want. be better. or actually be best like melanie ***** says
                Good post man, not trying to be rude to that guy. But it is posts like those that just leave me scratching my head on here.

Like I am all for a balanced critique of any fighter out there. But the sh.it people try and throw at GGG I just don't get it lol.

I think someone could make a reasonable argument against GGG but the truth is that he has done a lot of good and great stuff in the sport. The critiques thrown at him often times just come across, as you said, as having the conclusion in mind before studying the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post

Man I just honestly don't understand how people can say some stuff that is said on here lol.
                  its boxingscene. really nothing more to say than that and

Comment

oh ok you just have different standards depending on the fighter. thats all i needed to know. thanks for admitting it. why wasnt ggg building his run and growing when you called him the bum basher? nm...

and why do you care what fanboys say? i've seen people on here say charlo is the best middleweight and would ko canelo and ggg. that doesnt change his resume one way or the other just like it didnt for ggg. why not treat every fighter equally instead of having baby gloves for charlo and pretending like ggg was a bum basher when he was clearly more accomplished?
                    Because Golovkin was an Olympic medalist, 23-0 when he made his US debut, with a fringe belt around his waist, was being hailed as the most dominant middleweight to come along since Hagler and his first four fights aired here were Proksa, a 154lb Rosado, Ishida, and Macklin, lol.

Heck, Golovkin took two more bull**** fights before finally stepping in with Daniel Geale, and even then Geale is a good fighter who could barely punch himself out of a paper bag.

And then Golovkin spent the next three years bumping his gums until fighting Daniel Jacobs (would count Kell Brook, but having a 147lb fighter come up 2 weight classes to be the best fighter on your resume doesn't need the extra rub).

Golovkin showed himself to be a B/B+ fighter; nothing to cry about for a career, but nowhere near being Sugar Ray Robinson.

Jermall Charlo is a B/B- fighter from what we can see so far, who has room to possibly be who knows how good if he develops properly.

There's no baby gloves about any of this.

Comment

its boxingscene. really nothing more to say than that and
                      Lol that is true. Glad there are at least a few on here who I think maintain some semblance of rationality.

Comment

Working...
                      X