Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets rate Deontay Wilder's boxing skills.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave him a c- and felt I was being extremely generous. I agree with Boxing Goat and Sicko.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
      Wilder obviously isn’t the most skilled , **** his trainer Mark Breland is even quoted in a Espn article about Wilder where Breland thinks Deontay has as much skill right now as Breland did when he was 10 years old.

Wilder started late and he’s 33 he isn’t about to change who he is, But Wilder got to where he is because he has the best equalizer in the sport and what he lacks in pure boxing skill he makes up for with his power, heart , raw freakish athleticism and self belief. That’s whats gotten him to where he’s at.And those attributes have worked for him real well so far.

Wilder is a example of Will overcoming Skill
      I think he's got more than will. He doesn't have traditional skills but if the aim of the game is to hit and avoid being hit then he does that. He uses his size and reach, he uses his speed, and he overcomes lack of punch volume by making sure the shots he does throw count for something.

Complete lack of boxing fundamentals, yet has an effective boxing style.

He's fun to watch too.

Comment

LOL @ anyone who voted F. You don't get to be HW Champ with no boxing skills no matter how much power you have. Unorthodox isn't the same as no skills.

We all know that Wilder has a good jab (when he uses it) and great power. Footwork generally isn't bad until he gets excited. Like almost all HWs he's flat footed. He's totally underrated defensively, with guys like Ortiz, Fury and Stiverne connecting at 25% to 35%. Excellent use of angles to create openings and advantages. Subtle body/head movement and knows how to use his long arms in defense so he's not that easy to hit. Knows how to use his range to disrupt opposing fighters. Not effective when going to the body. Throws wide punches, especially when trying to go for the knockout. Former basketball player with excellent agility.

Traditional? No. Elegant? No. Effective? The results speak for themselves and that's not just due to power.

Comment

C to a C-...................

Comment

Lomachenko and Rigondeaux can only dream of understanding The Bronze Bomber's 400 years worth of ancestral wisdom and spiritual fighting knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Granath View Post
              LOL @ anyone who voted F. You don't get to be HW Champ with no boxing skills no matter how much power you have. Unorthodox isn't the same as no skills.

We all know that Wilder has a good jab (when he uses it) and great power. Footwork generally isn't bad until he gets excited. Like almost all HWs he's flat footed. He's totally underrated defensively, with guys like Ortiz, Fury and Stiverne connecting at 25% to 35%. Excellent use of angles to create openings and advantages. Subtle body/head movement and knows how to use his long arms in defense so he's not that easy to hit. Knows how to use his range to disrupt opposing fighters. Not effective when going to the body. Throws wide punches, especially when trying to go for the knockout. Former basketball player with excellent agility.

Traditional? No. Elegant? No. Effective? The results speak for themselves and that's not just due to power.
              Meh..........

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
                I think he's got more than will. He doesn't have traditional skills but if the aim of the game is to hit and avoid being hit then he does that. He uses his size and reach, he uses his speed, and he overcomes lack of punch volume by making sure the shots he does throw count for something.

Complete lack of boxing fundamentals, yet has an effective boxing style.

He's fun to watch too.
                For sure

He’s not some unskilled nothing , You can’t reach the level he’s at without a high level of skill . I’ve known guys who’ve reached professional level at different sports . even if their a bottom feeder in the league they play at , They are still super skilled and possess crazy ability . To reach the highest level in any sport you have to be remarkably talented just maybe a level or 2 below the most talented person in the world playing that sport

But nobody is going to confuse Wilder with Mayweather is all I’m saying. Some boxers start early are prodigies accomplished everything as a Amateur and can reach the highest level as a pro mostly relying on their skill set they’ve developed since a kid. Wilder isn’t that , To me his greatest assets and the reason he’s gotten to the top level is a combination of the things I’ve mentioned but he’s still super talented

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
                  Meh..........
                  How insightful.

Comment

I gave him a C-. He actually showed improvement and he does a pretty decent job of controlling distance which is huge, especially for him. The Fury fight to me was him fighting angry and then it became frustration and he looked awful but Fury does that to everyone.

Comment

I go with F in pure boxing skills, with Joshua's D-. The whole division isn't good. Tyson Fury has boxing skills, but isn't consistent.

Comment

Working...
                      X