Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fury: Joshua Did Really Well With Povetkin - I'm Totally Different

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
    I don't think Fury has said Cunningham had better boxing skills than himself, more like he couldn't deal with the cruiserweight speed, so was outboxing him.
    As to Josh speed, it may be understated, because I think he has got where he has because hes a great athlete. He can run 100 metres in like 11 seconds which is insane for someone his size.
    I doubt josh is lumbering.
    Running fast doesn't mean you will have good boxing footwork. Anyone can see Joshua is slow on his feet in the ring. He's powerful and has good handspeed for a heavyweight, but he's not very mobile at all.

Comment

Originally posted by apollocreed View Post
      Yeah I do give credit for Joshua beating Klitschko and Povetkin, they are good wins, I'm not disputing that.
      What I'm saying is that Joshua isn't particularly technically skilled, regardless of those wins.
      He achieves results with his power and athleticism, not technical skills and ring generalship. He was the same in the amateurs - he isn't a boxer. He couldn't box with the mobility and shot selection that Cunningham was showing against Fury, it's just not in his skillset.
      I disagree. Joshua was a very successful amateur and manages distance extremely well even if he doesn't look fluid and limber. Look at what he did to Breazeale, he didn't just walk him down and wail on him. Also see the fight with Whyte; Joshua got hurt and his boxing went out of the window for a round and a half, once he got back to his boxing skills he outclassed Whyte fairly easily.

I'm not saying he's a particularly great boxer, but he definitely has skills, I'd wager better skills than Steve Cunningham who has a record of 29-9-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Redgloveman View Post
        I disagree. Joshua was a very successful amateur and manages distance extremely well even if he doesn't look fluid and limber. Look at what he did to Breazeale, he didn't just walk him down and wail on him. Also see the fight with Whyte; Joshua got hurt and his boxing went out of the window for a round and a half, once he got back to his boxing skills he outclassed Whyte fairly easily.

I'm not saying he's a particularly great boxer, but he definitely has skills, I'd wager better skills than Steve Cunningham who has a record of 29-9-1.
        The record of Cunningham has got nothing to do with, you could have a guy with a load of losses who is still capable of boxing beautifully. Look at someone like Herol Graham for example. Great boxing skills doesn't guarantee you'll stay unbeaten.
        I've watched all of Joshhua's fights, and I've never seen him do anything outstanding in terms of boxing ability. He has very good power and strength, and does the basics well. He can pop out a decent jab, but he should be able to do that, he's a heavyweight champion.
        Compared to the genuine boxing ability of Lennox Lewis, who had footwork, combinations, shot selection, everything, Joshua looks very basic and workmanlike. What would Lewis have done to Breazeala?

Comment

Originally posted by apollocreed View Post
          The record of Cunningham has got nothing to do with, you could have a guy with a load of losses who is still capable of boxing beautifully. Look at someone like Herol Graham for example. Great boxing skills doesn't guarantee you'll stay unbeaten.
          I've watched all of Joshhua's fights, and I've never seen him do anything outstanding in terms of boxing ability. He has very good power and strength, and does the basics well. He can pop out a decent jab, but he should be able to do that, he's a heavyweight champion.
          Compared to the genuine boxing ability of Lennox Lewis, who had footwork, combinations, shot selection, everything, Joshua looks very basic and workmanlike. What would Lewis have done to Breazeala?
          You seem to be more concerned with whether Joshua can box "beautifully" than whether he can box effectively. I'm sure there are plenty of fighters out there who can look balletic and then get GTFO, but I wouldn't really call that great boxing, or equate aesthetics with skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Redgloveman View Post
            You seem to be more concerned with whether Joshua can box "beautifully" than whether he can box effectively. I'm sure there are plenty of fighters out there who can look balletic and then get GTFO, but I wouldn't really call that great boxing, or equate aesthetics with skills.
            I'm fans of highly skilled, complete boxers who can win fights and look comfortable against numerous different styles of opponents. I support guys with finely tuned high level technique, I'm not the kind of fan who just wants to see knockouts and power. That's why I'd never be a fan of Joshua, and I'm a big fan of Lewis.
            I don't like to see guys 'box balletically and then get KTFO' - winning is the most important thing, especially in boxing, but I like to see winning with skill, mobility, combinations, not just basic jabs, straight rights and left hooks like Joshua.
            Last edited by apollocreed; 11-23-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SeGoodland View Post
              This is the first time I've heard Fury say anything good about Joshua since he was on the Radio (I think) saying that he'd sparred with Joshua and he was 'someone to watch out for in the future'.

I agree with Fury's comments, if he manages (somehow) to beat Wilder, I would have Fury a heavy favourite to beat Joshua on points and it would take a heavy blow to win it for AJ, although he has that power and some good boxing ability, Fury IS the slickest Heavyweight and I think that we will all see glimpses of it on 1st December.

As an AJ fan, I am coming round the possibility that defeat to Fury or Wilder will not be all bad, he has the ability to comeback and challenge again. Lets just hope that we get this triangle of fights.
              Fury will sweep Wilder in a decision if the refs somehow don't wave off the carnage.

There is no "somehow" about it. Fury is leagues above both of them combined. He has no real weakness and is not only a complete fighter, but a defensive savant. Wilder is a one trick pony with poor fundamentals. AJ is a fundamentally sound fighter with nothing outstanding in his repertoire, unimpressive and easy work for a crafty tactician like Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                Fury will sweep Wilder in a decision if the refs somehow don't wave off the carnage.

There is no "somehow" about it. Fury is leagues above both of them combined. He has no real weakness and is not only a complete fighter, but a defensive savant. Wilder is a one trick pony with poor fundamentals. AJ is a fundamentally sound fighter with nothing outstanding in his repertoire, unimpressive and easy work for a crafty tactician like Fury.
                Again, you sound extremely confident. Here's what we'll do. You take Fury,I'll take Wilder. Loser never posts on NSB again. No alts,no BS just dead silent. Got the stones?

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
                  Arguably on paper Joshua might of faced better competition lately, and I do see your point : how its more difficult to be more accurate against a higher level opponent. But I would argue that everytime Deontay stepped in the ring with decent competition, Wilder put his ranking as far as stats are concern on the line,

in other words the more fights you have the more damage you should be taking throughout your career, despite all this as Deontay continued to increase in experience and opposition Wilder stats remain top of his class.
                  Don't get me wrong, I like Wilder.

I've followed his whole career, going back to the Olympics, when I watched every fight live.

I am picking Fury to win, but my heart is sort of with Wilder. Wilder is the odds favorite I believe, so he doesn't need me to tell him he's got a good shot, but I think Fury is going to win.

But, I've underestimated Wilder plenty of times before, to the point that I don't even feel confident picking against him anymore.

Wilder was inexperienced, and overachieved in the amateurs.

Based on that, the course he took in the pros made sense. He was still learning on the job.

There was a point there where it looked like he was never going to step up. But he finally did, and he was pushed in some fights, and was able to show his worth.

Fury's inactivity is one of the big question marks, as to whether he can perform up to the expectations of his benefactors.

Even assuming a fit and ready Fury, Wilder has a couple good paths to victory.

The obvious one is the big punch.

Wilder might be able to stick a crisp jab in Fury's face.

He might be able to land some rights and hooks, and eventually set up the big kaboosh.

You don't know until the fight comes. I expect Wilder to be better conditioned (he's always in shape), and he may even outwork Fury.

I think that Fury's height and reach may trouble Wilder, and his movement might keep Wilder off balance enough to allow the aforementioned to trouble him.

I think Fury can outbox Wilder, and that he probably will.

But it's a close fight, and I'd sort of like to see Wilder come and put on a good performance, and get the win.

Comment

Wilder is going to have to go to the body more than he usually does. I believe he loses if he tries his typical style of just looking for KO punches with a few jabs here and there.

Tyson is soft to the body. Wilder would be wise to take advantage of this weakness.

Comment

Fury speaks highly of AJ quite a bit, a lot of what Fury says when he's trolling is tongue in cheek.

Comment

Working...
                      X