Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tony Bellew British level or World class?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fringe world level but tends to fight to the level of his opposition

Comment

British level would imply that he's only won a British or European Title.

When you win a world title, you are a world class fighter.

Comment

He's more British level.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
          He could barely beat a shot Nathan Cleverly by SD at cruiser. He's British level, but fought in a very weak cruiser division.
          lol did you watch the fight or read on Boxrec? Bellew won every single round in that fight.

Bellew clearly is world class as a cruiserweight.

Comment

European level maybe a gatekeeper at top level

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              lol did you watch the fight or read on Boxrec? Bellew won every single round in that fight.

Bellew clearly is world class as a cruiserweight.
              I don't think you watched the fight, every round was difficult to score, by no means did Bellew look world-class.

Sergey blitzed Cleverly in 4 rounds, gave him the beating of his life. You're talking about completely different classes of fighters here. Bellew didn't get better, he just fought in a **** division.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
                I don't think you watched the fight, every round was difficult to score, by no means did Bellew look world-class.

Sergey blitzed Cleverly in 4 rounds, gave him the beating of his life. You're talking about completely different classes of fighters here. Bellew didn't get better, he just fought in a **** division.
                No it wasn't. Cleverly didn't throw his right hand the entire fight

Yeah and Bellew blitzed Mukabu the boogie man in three rounds. Knocked him out cold.

Comment

I think the article on the front page the other day had it right - not elite, but still world level. I think he's only peaked relatively recently, but he's got more to his game than you might think. He could be surprisingly crafty at times, as evidenced by the lead on the scorecards he managed to take against Usyk, a true elite fighter, but could also crack and beat guys with power and aggression, like against Makabu and in the second Haye fight. His only losses are to Usyk, who's a truly elite fighter at the top of the P4P list, Stevenson in his backyard right after he'd won the title from Chad Dawson, and a close loss to Cleverly back when he was at his peak, nothing there for him to be ashamed of. I wonder what his career might have been like if he'd have spent more time at cruiser instead of light-heavy.

Comment

Working...
                  X