Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: Canelo/DAZN Deal Will End PPV Boxing In the United States

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eddie might be right, it looks like beginning of the end. It also probably means that DAZN will sign up GGG who might follow Canelo.

P.S. DAZN...they really should change their name, its horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      There is no arguing its a knockdown blow to PPV. If PPV stays down or just takes an 8 count is to be seen.

I do feel like we are still in the wait & see mode with streaming killing PPV. I think the content is gonna have to be better then its been. ESPN+ has had a couple fights one could argue coulda been a PPV fight. But DAZN hasn't really did a fight one could argue was a US PPV fight quality event. And there hasn't been 1 big PPV fight type card by either yet. When we are seeing obvious PPV fights like Canelo vs GGG III on a streaming platform then you can argue PPV is in serious trouble.
      The problem is that every sports bar in America isn't set up to show streaming services like ESPN+ and DAZN. They are pretty much alienating plenty of fans that enjoy going out to watch fights. I have yet to find any place that streams any type of sport. Will sports bar really want to switch up their whole setup to show 2 Canelo fights per year? Most likely that would mean switching to smart tvs or adding streaming devices to current tvs. Paying subscription fees and being able to have a strong enough internet connection to be able to stream multiple tvs at once with no buffering.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
        Everything sounds good but how many sports bars and restaurants can you go to that will be streaming DAZN or ESPN+? Not that many that's for sure and I have yet to find one. ESPN+ and DAZN are pretty much alienating plenty of customers that enjoy going to to watch a fight at their local sports bars. You are pretty much forced to stay home and watch it there. Sports bars are pretty much setup to show their live sports via satellite tv or cable providers. Are they willing to change their whole setup and switch to smart tvs or attached streaming devices to every tv? Will their internet connection be able to handle 10+ tvs streaming live simultaneously without any buffering? Seems like too much work and money for restaurants to make a switch for 2 Canelo fights a year when the more popular sports and Showtime boxing can be seen with the current model every sports bar in America has now.
        I can’t believe I forgot about the internet aspect to all of this. I wonder how the older generation will adapt. You can get a good internet service for 40-50$ a month. I hate streaming because it’s just not as quality as hd cable television but we obviously have to adapt to it because it looks like that’s where boxing is headed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn1 View Post
          The UFC did it with UFC Fight Pass too (and now ESPN+)
          Fight pass has been around for years. PPV is still the bulk of UFC's surplus. It's the key revenue driver of their business model.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
            Eddie Hearn believes the historic deal Canelo Alvarez, Golden Boy Promotions and DAZN have struck will signal the end of pay-per-view boxing in the United States. The 28-year-old Alvarez's 11-fight contract with the new streaming service reportedly could be worth as much as $365 million. It'll also make the Mexican superstar's fights available as part of a $9.99 monthly subscription to DAZN
            [Click Here To Read More]
            Bad news for Mayweather!!

Comment

Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
              I can’t believe I forgot about the internet aspect to all of this. I wonder how the older generation will adapt. You can get a good internet service for 40-50$ a month. I hate streaming because it’s just not as quality as hd cable television but we obviously have to adapt to it because it looks like that’s where boxing is headed.
              It's not the older generation. It's every sports bar and restaurant that would show fights via their satellite provider. Internet connection would have to be able to handle multiple tvs streaming at once without any buffering or being delayed. I've talked to few owners of sports bar in my town, they weren't showing the Bud's or Manny's ESPN+ fights because it was a stream and they said it's not worth it to them to switch up their whole setup for those fights or even for 2 or 3 big fights a year.

Comment

Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
                Wasn’t Canelo and GBP the one who wrote that girly 3 page letter begging the fans to boycott Floyd fight? Then turned around and challenged the guy he was fighting. Nothing more gáy/hating than that lol. I’m sure Floyd hasn’t forgot about that either.
                Probably but the fact here is Floyd can’t stand being irrelevant he has to come out of retirement and say well he called me out
                Well so did margs
                Sexy Sergio
                GGG
                Just to name a couple and you didn’t fight them
                Gee maybe because you would lose and you want the easiest fights with the biggest reward
                This is the sh it that gets to me man/ he can 60-0 but look at his opposition
                Post de la Hoya it’s all cherry picks
                Pre he was a beast

Comment

I can tell you who is very happy about this deal. PBC and Top Rank. One less PPV distributor to have to deal with. And even if streaming is the future ( which I don't necessary buy) there will always be a large group of people who want to pick up a remote and point it at their large TV, not figure out how to cast it or hook up their computer to their TV via an HDMI cable. Keep it simple stupid

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
                    The problem is that every sports bar in America isn't set up to show streaming services like ESPN+ and DAZN. They are pretty much alienating plenty of fans that enjoy going out to watch fights. I have yet to find any place that streams any type of sport. Will sports bar really want to switch up their whole setup to show 2 Canelo fights per year? Most likely that would mean switching to smart tvs or adding streaming devices to current tvs. Paying subscription fees and being able to have a strong enough internet connection to be able to stream multiple tvs at once with no buffering.
                    More & more people & places are buying smart TV's. I'm not even 100% sure if it IS an issue, but when I looked up if Netflix would be a problem for a establishment to stream it was stated "yea, but..." basically with about the worst thing that could happen to you is a cease and desist letter & they'd cancel your account potentially.

Idk for a fact that Netflix & DAZN is an apples to apples comparison. And idk why DAZN (or ESPN) would even wanna f#ck with a bar showing their product. It could be a great way to get their product out there to the masses in fact & add new subscribers as seeing fights at the bar could end up being a free sample to try out the service without any credit card bs. I mean I don't think its even unreasonable to suspect THAT many people would be a fan of DAZN for viewing at bars & not wanna pay the $10 to watch at their leisure when they aren't at the bar. So I think bars showing DAZN athletic events is ultimately a net positive for DAZN most likely.

But we shall see one way or another. I definitely don't think if DAZN & ESPN took over boxing today that we've seen our last fight in a bar or theater.

Comment

...Unless you're Mayweather of course

Comment

Working...
                      X