Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: Canelo/DAZN Deal Will End PPV Boxing In the United States

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a boxing fan my feelings about this is mixed. Yes, while as a boxing fan and consumer; I love the concept of watching a Pay Per View star like Canelo Alvarez for $9.99 a month. Not being charged an $85.00 per fight fee in order watch him fight is good thing.

However, at the same time my greatest misgiving about this whole new venture is if it succeeds. What happens to the future of boxing then? Will it continue to survive? This boxing streaming platform just might ruin boxing period in the states. Boxing is already a niche sport here as it is.

Without television exposure I just can't see the sport surviving or lasting for very long in the U.S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jblo View Post
      Bob arum already said that a couple years ago thats why he made the deal with espn and they just had the most televised fight 2.2 million viewers
      So you’re saying Arum screwed over his fighters knowingly and on purpose?

TR has a contract with espn, that bans TR fighters from appearing on other networks. The only way for TC to fight any A level opponent is through a joint ppv. Arum has repeatedly said this. If ppv boxing in the U.S. is done, that means Crawford will be contractually prohibited from fighting any A level opponent for as long as he is with TR.

With no ppvs, then if GB, Matchroom, and PBC don’t allow any of their fighters on espn, TR has no one else to make fights with.

This appears to be horrible news for Zurdo. Zurdo is a leading contender to fight Canelo in the near future. Except Zurdo isn’t allowed to fight on DAZN. And Canelo is fighting on DAZN for the next five years. With no ppv, there is no joint ppv between espn and whoever else. Thus, every Top Rank fighter cannot fight Canelo for at least the next five years. The only way to overcome this is through a mandatory, and a purse bid.

If Arum believed ppv’s are basically over, he ruined TR and all of his fighters, by signing a contract mandating they only fight on espn.

Comment

• Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
        As a boxing fan my feelings about this is mixed. Yes, while as a boxing fan and consumer; I love the concept of watching a Pay Per View star like Canelo Alvarez for $9.99 a month. Not being charged an $85.00 per fight fee in order watch him fight is good thing.

However, at the same time my greatest misgiving about this whole new venture is if it succeeds. What happens to the future of boxing then? Will it continue to survive? This boxing streaming platform just might ruin boxing period in the states. Boxing is already a niche sport here as it is.

Without television exposure I just can't see the sport surviving or lasting for very long in the U.S.
        If this business model works for DAZN it is great for boxing fans.

First, DAZN only has Matchroom and GB and the WBSS. GB has the biggest money maker in Canelo and Matchroom does in AJ. Other than that, how many top fighters are there? GB has approximately zero besides Canelo, and Matchroom has some solid B to A- fighters.

The fact is PBC still has the largest stable, by far. Both Charlo's, Lara, Hurd, Broner, Spence, Thurman, Porter, Danny Garcia, Mikey Garcia, Stevenson, Beterbiev, Santa Cruz, Mares, Badou Jack, etc.

Then you still have Top Rank with Crawford and Loma, and a handful of prospects.

How many quality fights did GB produce on regular hbo in the last few years?

If this succeeds, it could lead to DAZN to outbidding everyone else in four years when PBC's contracts with Showtime and Fox are up. And honestly, if DAZN has Matchroom, GB, and PBC than every boxing fan will only need to pay $10 a month, $120 a year, to see every single quality boxing match.

Also, I imagine bars across the country are trying to figure out how to legally show DAZN content.

Comment

• hearn this hearn that wahhh wahhh it's all i've heard for months.

Is he getting the last laugh?

Comment

• Originally posted by maddad2001 View Post
            Sure Floyd is soo jealous..

Canelo having to fight 11 times to make what Floyd made in about 4-5.
            My man it’s not about that it’s about everyone is taking about the ginger he is the face of boxing and Floyd’s ego can’t take that. Floyd makes more money and is retired and is still being called out cool but he can’t deal with someone else having the shine. He should just enjoy his riches and let the ginger take over . He is going to end up bitter like Hoya when Floyd took over

Comment

• No it won't because too much money in PPV and DAZN can't guarantee 30M per fight to many fighters

Comment

• Originally posted by filup79 View Post
                The problem is that every sports bar in America isn't set up to show streaming services like ESPN+ and DAZN. They are pretty much alienating plenty of fans that enjoy going out to watch fights. I have yet to find any place that streams any type of sport. Will sports bar really want to switch up their whole setup to show 2 Canelo fights per year? Most likely that would mean switching to smart tvs or adding streaming devices to current tvs. Paying subscription fees and being able to have a strong enough internet connection to be able to stream multiple tvs at once with no buffering.
                The conversion is an easy sell, especially to a sport bar.
                Set up for both ESPN+ and DAZN can be done in 10 minutes and for a lot less than PPV.

Comment

• This is transitional and it's going to take time just like netflix to catch on. A pure streaming sport channel is the future and Eddie knows it. Personally I think ESPN is playing both sides but will eventually become a separate streaming pay channel. Why do you think it was so important to end net neutrality? Because the cable companies know that streaming is the future and they want to control the faucet.

Comment

• He should end it in the UK as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      No it won't because too much money in PPV and DAZN can't guarantee 30M per fight to many fighters
                      Literally no one in the world today demands guarantee 30million

Comment

Working...
                      X