Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilder says he can make $100 million in the Fury Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
    I seriously hope he isn't being fed this bs by anyone on his team.
    I think sometimes people take the things boxing people say too seriously vs thinking why one would say the things they say.

I think Wilder knows this is highly unlikely unless it breaks PPV records left & right. I think he's saying this because a lot of times acting like something is gonna be huge is the play in itself. Casuals are gonna see that & say "oh sh^t I didn't know there was some huge fight going down" & that might make them more inclined to buy the PPV despite not knowing sh^t about either of these guys. Or it might just make them dig a lil deeper into this whole thing, find something interesting or entertaining to them that might get them buying the fight or talking to other non-boxing people about the fight that results in more purchasers.

Or thats what I think when I hear stuff like this that just sounds so off, but its said to a more casual fan/sports fan media source. The way boxers talk about boxing on Jimmy Kimmel is different then how a boxer is gonna talk about boxing on a sports show & thats gonna be different still to how a boxer is gonna talk about boxing to a boxing media guy. And TMZ is a pretty popular mainstream thing these days.

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
      Struggling with your calcs.

Million buys at $60 -> $60m

Gate is $1m

Sponsership - $5m-10m

Best case scenario total gross of $71m.

Remove the commissions etc left with $50m.

Fury probably demands $20m

Wilder left with $30m

That’s best case scenerio.

Good figures nonetheless
      ... the fight sold a million dollars worth of tickets I less than it's first half hour on sale...

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
        BT is nowhere near the level of a sky sports fanbase and fury is not a big draw over here.
        You do know in the klitchcko rematch they had to cancel the fight at the MEN arena because its old less than half the tickets.
        Fury is just not popular
        I acknowledge that. As popular or non popular Fury is, Floyd-Hatton, Floyd-Pacquiao, Floyd-mcgregor, and I believe Alvarez all did over 1m homes in the UK on Sky Box Office.

Is assuming that Wilder-Fury draws half of that some drastic overestimation?

Two heavyweights, in the prime of their lives, who the British have seen fight many times?

I don't think so

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Ain't that the mfing truth. I can't believe Oscar ain't got Canelo speaking English yet. If he was doing more English speaking media, interacting with famous American people more & showing up on Conan O'Brien or whoevers show the week of the fight he'd be huger than he already is.

I don't get it. Money you don't pick up that was there to be picked up is still money you are throwing away as I see it. I think Joshua has the potential to pass him if he comes to the US because he's doing this basic sh^t that appeals to the masses more.
          The move to help Eddie Hearn try and secure that billion dollars for Matchroom Sport likely didn't help, though (unless Joshua literally now has a piece of Matchroom Sport); took a risky fight that he was supposed to win, the fight proved to be risky, and no one watched or earnestly talked about the fight in the US (not even a scrawl from ESPN).

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
            They'd have to sell well over 1m ppv buys for that to happen. If this fight does 500k it's a ridiculous success.
            Espinoza said he would be "happy" with 400k and he has probably got a better idea than all of us. Roy Jones was a much bigger star than Wilder is now after he won at heavyweight and his fight with Tarver only did 320k, so Espinoza's estimation seems about right. Let's hope Deontay is getting a good guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              ... the fight sold a million dollars worth of tickets I less than it's first half hour on sale...
              thank you for doing research, a rack of posters on this thread did not take the time to do the same.

Comment

I acknowledge that. As popular or non popular Fury is, Floyd-Hatton, Floyd-Pacquiao, Floyd-mcgregor, and I believe Alvarez all did over 1m homes in the UK on Sky Box Office.

Is assuming that Wilder-Fury draws half of that some drastic overestimation?

Two heavyweights, in the prime of their lives, who the British have seen fight many times?

I don't think so
                Floyd/Mcgregor didn't do a million PPVs in the UK. Canelo has never had a fight on Sky PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                  Floyd/Mcgregor didn't do a million PPVs in the UK. Canelo has never had a fight on Sky PPV.
                  Floyd-Canelo wasn't on Sky Box Office?

And what was the believed number for Floyd-mcgregor?

Comment

I don't think they will do that total. It will be a decent event but I doubt the sell more than 250k.

For boxing's sake I hope it does well enough

Comment

Floyd-Canelo wasn't on Sky Box Office?

And what was the believed number for Floyd-mcgregor?
                      Floyd/Canelo was on Boxnation. It wasn't really a big fight in the UK, tbh, and it was on around 4am UK time.

I checked the numbers for Floyd/McGregor at the BARB a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember the exact figure but it was around 850K.

Edit: I just checked the Floyd/McGregor number - 874K.

But Sky Box Office goes out to the Republic of Ireland as well as the UK. If the Irish numbers are not included in the BARB rating, it would have done over a million in total, I'm sure.
                      Last edited by kafkod; 10-08-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X