No announcement yet.

The case for floyd higher on ATG list than Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
    It was junior middleweight and De La Hoya who started at 130 himself was clearly past his best. He'd only fought once in three years and I feel he deserved the W that night as did Floyd's dad.
    Well that’s Oscar fault if he wasn’t such a coward and didn’t duck Floyd for all those years then he could’ve fought him when he was younger. But we all know Floyd would have demolished him at 147. All those guys were running scared ironic enough Gatti was the only one to step up

Kostya Tsyzu Mosley and Oscar all were running scared and making excuses and that’s FACTS.

https://youtu.be/OPJhvYXKZK8

Lol at my tooth hurts smh pathetic almost as pathetic as No Mas. I’m just saying. Peace
    Last edited by THEFRESHBRAWLER; 10-10-2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
      Well that’s Oscar fault if he wasn’t such a coward and didn’t duck Floyd for all those years then he could’ve fought him when he was younger. But we all know Floyd would have demolished him at 147. All those guys were running scared ironic enough Gatti was the only one to step up

Kostya Tsyzu Mosley and Oscar all were running scared and making excuses and that’s FACTS.

Lol at my tooth hurts.smh pathetic just as pathetic as No Mas.
      It was a reason bob called him the next SRR
      I wouldn't call fighting the unbeaten Quartey, prime Trinidad, prime Mosley and then going to middleweight to fight Hopkins being a coward.

Tszyu didn't duck Mayweather. What's the timetable for that? Tszyu became undisputed in 2001, Mayweather was at 135 until 2004 and Tszyu was laid off with a serious injury then beat his mandatory Mitchell (after nearly two years off and as an underdog) late 2004. Did Mayweather express any desire to fight Tszyu in 2005? They had been building to the Gatti fight for about a year. That was the priority given that both were HBO staples and Tszyu was Showtime's last contracted fighter back then.

The timeline doesn't add up on that one at all. You made that one up.

Mosley in 2006 was a cherry pick. He'd been dominated twice by Wright and twice by Forrest and was losing as many as he was winning then. His prime had long gone. Even the 2010 version was a wash. He was 38 and had been off for a year and a half in 2010. The Margarito fight was a mirage Margarito was a bad fighter without his plaster wraps.
      Last edited by chrisJS; 10-10-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Yeah, apparently Ali studied a lot of those Cubans but was particularly impressed by Rodriguez. Luis Sarria had a lot of good Cuban fighters around that time like Rodriguez, Doug Vailant, Jose Stable, Florentino Fernandez, Angel Robinson Garcia and had trained Sugar Ramos and Jose Legra before they left for Mexico and Spain. He was one of the best teachers in boxing history. It must have been great to be around that gym around that time.

Rodriguez had it all. He was busy as hell throwing punches all the way. He had a laser of a right hand, would love to go to the body and had a beautiful jab. He could win a fight with that but had so many other weapons he usually put it all together. He had great legs and movement to go with that stamina too so overall just hell to face.

The Griffith fights are good but not truly great fights. Closely contested but poorly scored IMO. Griffith hit harder and their jabs almost cancelled each other out. Griffith working his way inside but a constant pattern was Rodriguez outworking him with lots of fast flurries to the body and landing the prettier, flashier punches when there was distance. I think the judges ignored the body work (which tired Griffith in most the fights) and scored for Griffith's popularity. I had the first two the closest with Rodriguez winning by a round or two in each but the third and fourth I don't think you can score those for Griffith. I think those were 10-5 or 9-6 type fights.

The first, third and fourth are on youtube. The second is a bit harder to find but I have it and can upload it if you would like? I think the most pleasing Rodriguez fights on the eye are the one's with Thompson, McClure, Moyer, Mims. Griffith had a tendency to make fights ugly so Rodriguez' art is more apparent in those ones.
        You are a true student of the sport, my friend. Your knowledge far surpasses mine. Thank you for the insight. I must decline the offer, however, as I’m waaay too backed up on viewing material. But our discussion has made me hungry to watch a little “El Feo.” His skills and style were anything but.

Comment

Thanks for the article, brother. Previously, I only knew Sarria as Ali’s masseuer. I just learned more than I ever knew about him. Good stuff.

Comment

I wouldn't call fighting the unbeaten Quartey, prime Trinidad, prime Mosley and then going to middleweight to fight Hopkins being a coward.

Tszyu didn't duck Mayweather. What's the timetable for that? Tszyu became undisputed in 2001, Mayweather was at 135 until 2004 and Tszyu was laid off with a serious injury then beat his mandatory Mitchell (after nearly two years off and as an underdog) late 2004. Did Mayweather express any desire to fight Tszyu in 2005? They had been building to the Gatti fight for about a year. That was the priority given that both were HBO staples and Tszyu was Showtime's last contracted fighter back then.

The timeline doesn't add up on that one at all. You made that one up.

Mosley in 2006 was a cherry pick. He'd been dominated twice by Wright and twice by Forrest and was losing as many as he was winning then. His prime had long gone. Even the 2010 version was a wash. He was 38 and had been off for a year and a half in 2010. The Margarito fight was a mirage Margarito was a bad fighter without his plaster wraps.

From 2005-2007 Mosley was undefeated with two knockout wins over Vargas how tf would that be considered a cherry pick lmao.

“The timeline doesn't add up on that one at all. You made that one up.”

You mean your timeline that you made up. You can pick at anyone’s resume with what you’re doing.

“Oh he was in his prime because he was an Olympian”

“It was in 2006 that’s a cherrypick”

“He fought at a different weight class 12 months earlier”

And I know Margarito was a cheater glad Floyd didn’t give that bum a chance. I didn’t make anything up you can clearly see Floyd calling them out with no hesitation and Roy and Lampley talking about how the risk would be too much for those guys. Did you see what he did to Gatti? Corrales? Why would they fight him I don’t blame them for ducking but just don’t lie about it.

Did Mayweather express any desire to fight Tszyu in 2005?

Of course he did did you watch This footage? Just click the link Sir

He would have ruined them all by TKO back then.
            Last edited by THEFRESHBRAWLER; 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I didn't say he is I am using your point against you when you said Duran lost to middleweights simply because he's not as good as them nothing to do with age and size.

The Armstrong win really didn't mean a great deal for Robinson but Robinson has a TON of great wins that's just not one. Both are in my top 3 all-time fighters most likely. Losing to Archie Moore isn't that bad. Nobody ever beat Moore in a title fight at 175 and Moore is a top 20 all-time level fighter.
              Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
              “I didn't say he is I am using your point against you when you said Duran lost to middleweights simply because he's not as good as them nothing to do with age and size.”

He lost to Welterweights also so what’s your excuse for that wasn’t Laing a welterweight pretty much his entire career lol

Does a 35 year old Floyd lose to Robbie Sims like Duran did? Does a 31 year old Floyd lost to Kirkland Laing? Hełł no! I don’t see how y’all be saying some of these newer fighters can’t beat the old school fighters when some of them have been beaten by lesser opponents. Do you think Robbie Sims or Kirkland Laing is better than Floyd? End of discussion
              Funny how he responded to all my posts but this one. It’s the truth you can’t say a new generation fighter couldn’t beat an old school fighter if that old school fighter has lost to lesser fighters

Comment

From 2005-2007 Mosley was undefeated with two knockout wins over Vargas how tf would that be considered a cherry pick lmao.

“The timeline doesn't add up on that one at all. You made that one up.”

You mean your timeline that you made up. You can pick at anyone’s resume with what you’re doing.

“Oh he was in his prime because he was an Olympian”

“It was in 2006 that’s a cherrypick”

“He fought at a different weight class 12 months earlier”

And I know Margarito was a cheater glad Floyd didn’t give that bum a chance. I didn’t make anything up you can clearly see Floyd calling them out with no hesitation and Roy and Lampley talking about how the risk would be too much for those guys. Did you see what he did to Gatti? Corrales? Why would they fight him I don’t blame them for ducking but just don’t lie about it.

Did Mayweather express any desire to fight Tszyu in 2005?

Of course he did did you watch This footage? Just click the link Sir

He would have ruined them all by TKO back then.
                The timeline is correct. I remember it clearly.

Tszyu-Judah November 2001
                Mayweather-Castillo I & II in 2002
                Tszyu defended titles in 2002
                Mayweather still at 135 in 2003
                Tszyu defended titles in 2003 and then had scheduled re-match with Mitchell twice postponed due to major injuries and only ended up facing him in November of 2004 thus he was tied up with that mandated commitment
                Mayweather moved up to 140 and fought one fight in 2004
                Mayweather and Gatti had a collision course and fight scheduled in 2005

Again, you've made that "duck" up.

Comment

The timeline is correct. I remember it clearly.

Tszyu-Judah November 2001
                  Mayweather-Castillo I & II in 2002
                  Tszyu defended titles in 2002
                  Mayweather still at 135 in 2003
                  Tszyu defended titles in 2003 and then had scheduled re-match with Mitchell twice postponed due to major injuries and only ended up facing him in November of 2004 thus he was tied up with that mandated commitment
                  Mayweather moved up to 140 and fought one fight in 2004
                  Mayweather and Gatti had a collision course and fight scheduled in 2005

Again, you've made that "duck" up.
                  You just asked did he express any interest in fighting Kostya in 2005 once I proved he did and proved you wrong you moved the goalposts again lol
                  Mayweather was set to face Kostya Tyszu for the jr welterweight titles but he was stripped and instead fought Gatti for the title if I recall. Kostya didn’t care about mandatories as he was stripped twice for failing to fight his. Nice of you to throw that in there though.

2001-2002 is very irrelevant in this scenario. We’re talking about 2004-2005 Stop throwing smoke screens out lol. Funny how you asked about 2005 but now you’re talking about 2001 and 2002

Comment

I didn't say he is I am using your point against you when you said Duran lost to middleweights simply because he's not as good as them nothing to do with age and size.

The Armstrong win really didn't mean a great deal for Robinson but Robinson has a TON of great wins that's just not one. Both are in my top 3 all-time fighters most likely. Losing to Archie Moore isn't that bad. Nobody ever beat Moore in a title fight at 175 and Moore is a top 20 all-time level fighter.
                    Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
                    “I didn't say he is I am using your point against you when you said Duran lost to middleweights simply because he's not as good as them nothing to do with age and size.”

He lost to Welterweights also so what’s your excuse for that wasn’t Laing a welterweight pretty much his entire career lol

Does a 35 year old Floyd lose to Robbie Sims like Duran did? Does a 31 year old Floyd lost to Kirkland Laing? Hełł no! I don’t see how y’all be saying some of these newer fighters can’t beat the old school fighters when some of them have been beaten by lesser opponents. Do you think Robbie Sims or Kirkland Laing is better than Floyd? End of discussion
                    I think I won the argument with this post!!! Good discussion though. Whenever you have the answer I’ll be waiting

Comment

You just asked did he express any interest in fighting Kostya in 2005 once I proved he did and proved you wrong you moved the goalposts again lol
                      Mayweather was set to face Kostya Tyszu for the jr welterweight titles but he was stripped and instead fought Gatti for the title if I recall. Kostya didn’t care about mandatories as he was stripped twice for failing to fight his. Nice of you to throw that in there though.

2001-2002 is very irrelevant in this scenario. We’re talking about 2004-2005 Stop throwing smoke screens out lol. Funny how you asked about 2005 but now you’re talking about 2001 and 2002
                      Tszyu did care about mandatories. He was stripped for inactivity due to injury. He didn’t just decide to “drop the titles”.

Comment

Working...
                      X