Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At this point, has Canelo redeemed and/or further solidified his status as elite?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course.

He is a top-5 P4P

Comment

Originally posted by jcj0427 View Post
      I'd put Canelo just out of the top 5, maybe like 6th or 7th. He is still an elite fighter but nowhere near where he thinks he is. He didn't look bad in both his losses to GGG, thats the most credit ill give him.
      And who the hell you are?

He won, baby, don't cry...

Comment

Originally posted by DARKSEID View Post
        Absolutely. He's one of the greatest fighters in the world.

Golovkin had all the physical advantages over him. Height, reach, weight.

If Canelo was the same size as Golovkin that fight wouldn't have been close. He beat Golovkin despite the handicap.
        How do you mean same size.
        As in height?
        Because they both would have weighed around 170 give or take and their reach Is nearly identical with Canelo actually having a 1cm more reach.
        So the only difference is about 4cm in height.
        Not that big of a deal.
        Last edited by BLASTER1; 09-20-2018, 02:11 AM.

Comment

I like Canelo's style and think he's really overlooked in the technical dept. But, he's not elite. He struggled with Golovkin (and probably should have lost 2x). Golovkin being a guy who is good, but I never classified as great. He struggled with Lara. Had his hands full with a worn down version of Cotto. Wasn't even close to being competitive with a small fighter in Mayweather. And just phoned in an easy fight with Chavez.

For him to be elite, he needs to either dominate high level fighters or pass the eye test in magnificent ways. He doesn't have the skills of a Crawford or Loma (whose talents exceed their resumes). He has obvious stamina issues which elite class fighter just don't have. I'm not saying Canelo won't be elite some day, but clearly not now.

Here's a bit of logic for you; look at what people thought of him before the 2nd GG fight. He was thought to be a cheat who just came off a robbery draw. You must think GG is godly if they consider a controversial win enough to put Canelo into the elite category in just this one fight. Don't get lost in the afterglow of a W.

And, if you think his P4P status makes him elite, then remember GG placed #1 P4P not long ago. Top 5 P4P doesn't not = elite. Just means they are hot at the moment.
          Last edited by Redd Foxx; 09-20-2018, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
            How do you mean same size.
            As in height?
            Because they both would have weighed around 170 give or take and their reach Is nearly identical with Canelo actually having a 1cm more reach.
            So the only difference is about 4cm in height.
            Not that big of a deal.
            Odd how they forget how Canelo weighed in at 164.5 recently.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthradon View Post
              Odd how they forget how Canelo weighed in at 164.5 recently.
              When did he weigh that?
              Certainly not before the fight.
              He must if came in around 170 or higher Like most other middleweights.

Comment

He is an elite fighter but redeemed himself? A drugs cheat in my eyes can never be redeemed.

Comment

Canelo is obviously an elite fighter that has been clear for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    I like Canelo's style and think he's really overlooked in the technical dept. But, he's not elite. He struggled with Golovkin (and probably should have lost 2x). Golovkin being a guy who is good, but I never classified as great. He struggled with Lara. Had his hands full with a worn down version of Cotto. Wasn't even close to being competitive with a small fighter in Mayweather. And just phoned in an easy fight with Chavez.

For him to be elite, he needs to either dominate high level fighters or pass the eye test in magnificent ways. He doesn't have the skills of a Crawford or Loma (whose talents exceed their resumes). He has obvious stamina issues which elite class fighter just don't have. I'm not saying Canelo won't be elite some day, but clearly not now.

Here's a bit of logic for you; look at what people thought of him before the 2nd GG fight. He was thought to be a cheat who just came off a robbery draw. You must think GG is godly if they consider a controversial win enough to put Canelo into the elite category in just this one fight. Don't get lost in the afterglow of a W.

And, if you think his P4P status makes him elite, then remember GG placed #1 P4P not long ago. Top 5 P4P doesn't not = elite. Just means they are hot at the moment.
                    Totally different topic and not relevant to the conversation but would you consider James Toney elite? Because he fits all those criteria too.

And you do make good points most definitely, but I would say the things you mentioned stop a fighter being great as opposed to elite.

Comment

First Canelo should get major props on how he fought the second fight he meant what he said and he’s a real fighter ain’t no b.itch in him and his chin is f.ucking unreal

I’m torn on this because on 1 hand he’s proven he’s willing to fight anybody and he has the best resume among the new wave of fighters so he should be getting props for that aspect

On the other hand he should have at least 2 Ls against Golovkin and another 1 against Lara and if he wasn’t the heir apparent $ Mexican quite possibly a draw against Trout so his record would be completely different and he’d be rated totally different if he was judged on a level playing field just a really good fighter that consistently came up short against the best guys in the 147-160 divisions ( Mayweather , Lara , Golovkin )

Comment

Working...
                      X