No announcement yet.

Stop giving GGG all these excuses, he did not get old over night

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
    The 2 boxers he boxed that were either elite or a notch below he had issues with, lost or could not even drop them...This same "old" GGG just destroyed Vanes a few months ago..why??? because thats the level of boxers he has been destroying his entire career..Take him up a level and you see he is not this monster the media tried to make him out to be. Look at all the people he has stopped, really take a look at all his wins and show me one p4p, elite boxer he has dominated..just 1!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dude, you‘re too emotional. Don‘t let your hate blind you. He‘s obviously not the same fighter he was 3 years ago. Age is a factor in boxing (and most other sports) and can‘t be denied. At 36 he still beat Canelo in most people eyes. He is an elite fighter and your opinion doesn‘t matter. Stop crying.

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
      Man, he's 36...I know you wanna celebrate his loss and everything, but he ain't in his prime. That's just a fact, win lose or draw.
      I didn't want to believe it until the 2nd fight. It will be Canelo's career defining win thou.

Comment

Originally posted by strykr619 View Post
        I didn't want to believe it until the 2nd fight. It will be Canelo's career defining win thou.
        it's still a very good win for canelo, even tough it was so controversial. says a lot about how ggg is regarded when a win that probably wasn't even a win is career defining for another top fighter.

Comment

if i hadn't seen the fight and just read the forum, i would think GGG got knocked out and outclassed completely.

They had a close fight, many thought it could've gone a round either way or a draw. They're both quality fighters.

For the record, GGG is well out of him prime and Canelo is in his. GGG didn't get old overnight, but it's been obvious he is in decline at 36, let's not pretend he's at his peak. it's not about excuses, it's just being realistic.
          Last edited by TheBigLug; 09-19-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

"he did not get old over night"............................
            everyone gets old to the point were the legs don't get you where you need to as fast as you want! That happened to G as he jabbed to move in. He did ok side stepping and pivoting but he has lost some mobility.
            All in all he fought hard as did Canelo it was a very good fight!

Ray

Comment

Don't know why people are running so hard at Larry for decontructing the competition faced by GGG. It is relevant to the fight and true.

Fighters get old, and fighters get "Olded".... they are put in a position where they cannot make adjustments and age in the ring before our eyes. But the reason for that problem is the other guy across the ring. I don't care who the judges say won this fight, it was a good fight and GGG faced a guy who was at a level where he could not dominate with his offense. I could see a draw, or a win for either guy, I had predicted Canelo by decision for what it is worth...

Someone brought up Jones. When Jones was at his best people backed off, because his hook, especially, was devistating...he only needed to feint with his shoulder to get that reaction. Lets ask a rhetorical question: Would Jones have gotten that reaction against some of the very best ATG Middle weights? I mean nobody kept A guy like LaMotta off with a feint, much less Robinson. So chances are, like GGG Roy would have to find a way to win without dominating offensively with his speed.

Jones also lost a step and... when he fought Tarver, Tarver got so mad he didn't go for the feint, followed him in and caught him.

My point is there is nothing so earth shattering about the plight of GGG. Canelo was a step up and GGG lost a few steps, regardless of who you thought won the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
                canelo gets credit, but ggg was looking gassed between rounds early...not sure body shots was the cause. he's 36, and he looked like every bit of it in there.
                He's 36 with minimal wear and tear because he hasn't fought the level of competition to put him through wars. Jacobs ****** him up some and that's about it.

Comment

GGG is old, if he's beating prime Jacobs, drawing and closely losing to a prime Canelo in his mid thirties than he was obviously a tremendous fighter in his prime, it's just a shame he didn't get an appropriate dance partner when he was in his mid to late 20s. Keep in mind GGGs style is not one that ages well either.

I don't want to take away from Alvarez's great victory, but it's a shame we didn't get to see GGG with this type of competition in his prime. And let's also remember that if you're going to go around saying GGG was always trash/overrated, then why would this win even matter to Canelo? Why did he draw with him in the first fight?

Comment

I think he's older, past his best, but definitely not as far gone as some would make out, far from shot

He doesn't have a huge amount of wear and tear on him. Fighters age at a different pace, so each case is unique. Joe Calzaghe and Carl Froch for example were still top fighters at 35-36. I would put Golovkin in that bracket.

I don't think anyone should use his age as an excuse though, Canelo doesn't possess a true middleweight frame, so they are both fighting disadvantages. I think the fight happened at the right time to create a perfect synergy.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatDude44 View Post
                      He's 36 with minimal wear and tear because he hasn't fought the level of competition to put him through wars. Jacobs ****** him up some and that's about it.
                      36 is 36...when the body doesn't quite respond the way it used to, wear and tear isn't necessarily the issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X