Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lomachenko top 10 ATG @ 130?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No his best opponents at 130 was a guy moving from 122/126 in total mismatches and never unified titles

Comment

maybe if he stayed his whole career at 130 and dominated, but it was just a stepping stone.

Comment

I don't think he stayed there long enough. Loma is going the division hopping route which is fine. Many guys do for bigger fights. If you stay at the same weight your whole career, you definitely have to fight through plenty of dry spells, but it's respectable. GGG has done this and it's a good thing imo.

However, Loma will be a great fighter imo, not because of one division but because of the fighters he beat in multiple divisions. You have to stay at a weight a long time to be considered one of the best there. With that said, I liked his 130 run. Nothing but dominance.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
          Do you think Lomachenko did enough at 130 to be considered a top 10 ATG there? He beat Walters and Rigondeaux, and dominated everyone he fought at that weight.
          I think anointing a boxer an ATG before his career is over is too enthusiastic.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
            Do you think Lomachenko did enough at 130 to be considered a top 10 ATG there? He beat Walters and Rigondeaux, and dominated everyone he fought at that weight.
            To give your question an honest accurate answer someone should have a good working knowledge of ALL the great boxers in the 130 pound range for the last hundred years or so. I don't have this knowledge and either do you or anyone reading your thread. Any answers you get besides "I don't know" will just be wild guesses because most have never seen about 60% or more of the past great 130 pounders fight and probably never heard of most of them. Let's just say he is a great 130 pound fighter and leave it at that. Don't try to compare him with great 130 pound boxers of the distant past that you know little or nothing about.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
              Rocky Martinez was ranked #1 in the division so that would classify as a top 130-pounder surely? Historically, no but he was the top 130-pounder in 2016.

Walters also moved up to 130 before Lomachenko so one could argue Walters was beaten by a Featherweight in Lomachenko.
              You're wrong at the point the top 130lber was Francisco Vargas. Rocky Martinez was considered the weakest title holder at that point in time due to arguably having 2 losses to Orlando Salido

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                Some of the junior divisions are so new that without a set criteria (i.e minimum fights) there may be some divisions. I think Tito Trinidad is top 10 all-time at 154 and he only had four fights there. His 2000 campaign and a non-title fight in 1997 vs. Troy Waters.

130 is fairly deep though. Kid Chocolate, Flash Elorde, Alexis Arguello, Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquaio, Julio Cesar Chavez, Alfredo Escalera etc;
                That's a great point about Tito. He did beat 2 potential hall of famers in Reid and Vargas but even so I still on't think he did enough there but there can be a argument made for him.Can't put him over the likes of Wright, Jackson, Mccallum, Benitez, Norris, and others. Hurd with his victories over Trout and Lara may have already passed Tito. I know that Trinidad vs Vargas is probably a top 3 jm fight all time if not the greatest.

Comment

The eye test says yes. Guess it depends on your criteria

Comment

People like you make it hard to root for Caucasian fighters.

Comment

Man I swear this is trolling at this point, you can't be serious? Wait until the dust settles, but in this case there is no dust so to speak as of yet. Maybe in 5 years time we can have this discussion when we can properly gauge the skill of the opponents he has beaten and can evaluate the significance of it all.

New boxing fans are the worst - 49-1 ya'll!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X