Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gennady Golovkin Still Has Time To Enhance His Legacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopkins wasn't defending punches with his face. Which tends to make you older.

Comment

• Originally posted by S7V7N View Post
      I'll bite in hopes that you're more level headed than some here.

Now I'm not going to go through Golovkin's entire resume here, but it's known that he's fought 8 middleweights that were ranked in the top 10 at the time they fought (#2x2, #4x2, #5, #6, #9 & #10). He's also fought 2 top 10 p4p & about to re-match one of those so we can add another to both those totals. Click link if you want more facts.

Now let's look at the current MW rankings. He's the only one that's fought 3 of them. Obviously Canelo is also missing & will soon add 2 more fights to that total making it 5 once Saul is re-inserted into the current MW rankings. The next closest (Jacobs, Saunders, Canelo) all will only be making their 2nd fight against a current top 10 MW opponent.

TBRB Middleweight Rankings
      Champion: Open
      1. Gennady Golovkin
      2. Billy Joe Saunders
      3. Daniel Jacobs
      4. Jermall Charlo
      5. David Lemieux
      6. Sergiy Derevyanchenko
      7. Ryoto Murata
      8. Martin Murray
      9. Demetrius Andrade
      10. Walter Kautondokwa

Some say they'll give credit to Golovkin once he beats, Charlo & Andrade even though neither has EVER faced a single top 10 MW opponent. How are either a good metric to use for validation?

Others say when Golovkin has stepped up to his best tests he hasn't looked dominant yet they refuse to switch that standard around. Did Jacobs look dominant against Golovkin? It's his only marque opponent. What about Canelo? Floyd, Lara, Trout? Only if you throw in past his prime Cotto that even Trout & WW Ali looked more dominant against?

I won't go into all the potential scalps that Golovkin could have notched along the way, have other threads for that, we're only talking about his existing resume, yet some choose to only apply one way thinking when trying to discredit what GGG has done in the era he has done it.
      -------------------

This is really well written and well thought out. I can only add that if you compare GGG's career to Hopkins at 160, GGG's way above Hopkins.
      Hopkins only became a household name after beating two smaller guys that had to move up in weight to face him; Tito and Oscar. In between those two guys Hopkins literally fought BUMS after BUMS.

I was never a fan of Hopkins until he conquered the 175Ibs division and that's where his greatness comes in. I am only throwing that in so people don't say I am shytting on Hopkins because I am not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
        GGG should move to 168 after this fight. He is getting too slow for middleweight as he ages.
        ...or MW getting to flush with full-time fighters who aren't cab drivers. I'd pick 3-4 MW today to beat Gennady. I wouldnt pick any SMW.

Gennady the tomato can, cab driving dominator!!!

Comment

• Golovkin has a short amount of time left to enhance his legacy,
          but he could just as easily tarnish his legacy with a series of losses.
          It works both ways.
          But he's already had a good little run, no matter what happens next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
            ...or MW getting to flush with full-time fighters who aren't cab drivers. I'd pick 3-4 MW today to beat Gennady. I wouldnt pick any SMW.

Gennady the tomato can, cab driving dominator!!!
            Yeah,
            but those cab drivers were ranked in the top-10 by Uber.

Comment

• Well written article, unbiased. I dont know if GGG has enough left in the tank to beat any of the elite middleweights that are around now.We will see in September. Hes one of my favorite fighters, but time is not on his side.
              Last edited by Usetoloveboxing; 08-25-2018, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• No way Jacobs was 180 lbs that night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mzembe View Post
                  -------------------------

That's what a lot of people said about Hopkins at 40. What happened after that?
                  Hopkins is no GGG. GGG has poor defence. He is damaged more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mirus View Post
                    Hopkins is no GGG. GGG has poor defence. He is damaged more.
                    Damaged how? Apparently he only fights bums. So its these bums that are causing him irreversible damage?

Comment

• Originally posted by Real boxer View Post
                      Damaged how? Apparently he only fights bums. So its these bums that are causing him irreversible damage?
                      It seems you haven't watched fights of GGG. If you watched, watch them again carefully.

Comment

Working...
                      X