Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Pacquiao give Marquez immediate rematches???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
    Yeah, it was a solid series for sure. I always liked watching both of them and they made for quite a rivalry. Marquez-Diaz I is still one of my favorite fights. Great action from beginning to end. And Pac-Marq IV was definitely the best of the series.

Here's to the sport we love, my friend.

Marquez' standpoint was clear. After he ended the series ended which is what Pacquaio's camp said pre-fight he wanted to be the first Mexican to win a title in five weight classes and Bradley had the belt.

Around that time he started to wear down and get a lot of knee injuries and he knew those substantial offers were really just "We'll pay you to do anything we can to get the win over you". He was already 40 and he'd been robbed three times in his mind so obviously felt he'd get robbed again and thus lose out on something that gives him so much satisfaction which is how the series ended.

I always felt it was pretty sad that even to this day salty Pacquaio fans are calling him a coward (god I HATE when anyone says that about ANY fighter) and a pu$$y for not just rolling over so their idol can get a win over a 40+ inactive dude who's had multiple injuries and surgeries.

I can tell you respect him though and the Diaz I fight is one of my favorites. I went to that fight in Houston and in fact hung out with him in his hotel room the night before the fight. A friend of ours is the daughter of Rudy Hernandez who was close to Nacho Beristain and Marquez would get his trunks and robes from a lady in Bell (a city within LA county) and we brought them over. Marquez was very relaxed, seemed to have no nerves and even talking to him then Pacquaio was the fight/the official win he craved. I get the sense had he gotten the official win in 2008 he'd have probably retired a few years earlier. Selfishly I'm glad he didn't though. I've had the pleasure of going to see him 11 times live between he Barrera and Alvarado fights. I didn't go to the Juarez, Ramos and Fedchenko fights only.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      That's true Marquez was being avoided but he was still unified at 126 and gave Pacquaio a shot at something he wanted. That wasn't PPV Pacquaio. That was Pacquaio trying to establish his legacy. The re-match had Marquez as the champion and #1 at 130, thus having something Pacquaio wanted/needed. The decision was controversial and in need of a 3rd fight given that at least as many people felt Marquez won (probably majority especially of the ringside press that night).

Fast forward 3 years & 8 months the third fight at welterweight wasn't some charity act by Pacquaio. It was a cherry pick and they tried to take advantage of Marquez. They figured he looked crap in 2009 at 147 and was now 38 and ripe for the plucking. It was also Pacquaio's most bankable fight outside of a Mayweather fight. Marquez was robbed in this fight quite badly. Marquez remained his most bankable fight outside of Mayweather and Pacquaio needed to finally secure the legit win and get the monkey off his back.

Both brought things to the table hence why it was a classic series. The idea that Pacquaio was a charity act for Marquez for 8 years is preposterous.
      I am a fan of both by the way except for Marquez hiring Memo Heredia. That turned me off big time! Lately, I swing more on Manny but early on, I was a big fan of the Marquez brothers.

Fight #1 - Imagine, Cortez could have called it after the 3rd knock down but luckily he didn't. Marquez pulled a great come back but 3 knock downs was too much. In my eyes, he lost because of round #1.

Fight #2 - Again, close fight. Difference is that round that Manny knocked down Marquez.

Fight #3 - I didn't see it live so when we heard it was a robbery (some people on this forum) I said, it's too bad that happened …. but when I watched it, I didn't see it as a robbery. I haven't watched it in a while but Marquez lost it in the last few rounds when he listened to his coach and was too careful.

Fight #4 - Win or lose, classic. It went back and forth in momentum until the last punch. I didn't want that to happen knowing the potential for a Floyd fight was out at that point but it is what it is. Also, Memo Heredia factor is still controversial in my mind.

but imagine a 5th fight after the 4th fight? The fans missed something where the build up would have been great. If Marquez had retired after that fight, cool, no problem but he fought on and went on record that he wouldn't give a rematch.

but I agree with some of your points. Fight #3, I was with you in that Marquez was not a 147lb fighter and Manny, who was not a true WW, had established himself there ….. I went on record saying the same as you UNTIL I saw the transformation of Marquez just weeks before the fight. Then I said there is potential that Marquez will give Manny trouble like he always did.

Great rivalry!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
        Just a reminder that I know you are a human piece of dung. I'm sure you've done some time.
        You don't know jack S**T about me !! I, on the other hand, know for a fact that you're just a D**K rider.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
          Once I remembered who you were and your Valero post that was enough. You are a low life. I smelled you when you posted about "Juanita". Sure enough a brief search brought that tool bag post about Valero. You and I both know you are an epic loser in life. I'm done with you, don't worry.
          Man, you really are a stalker. So what if I voiced my opinion about The Valero Case? I can't disagree with you and the other white knights? Quit being a spy wannabe coz' you don't posses the necessary tools to be a good one.

Yes, we DO know that you're a colossal loser in life. We've established that. Can we move the f**k on, please?!

Comment

He just gave him 4 fights and Marquez turned down the 1st rematch.... Ok....

Comment

I wanted to see a 5th fight, but I understand and respect Marquez's stance. Some guys just aren't all about the money, and Marquez was happy to finally get that win in the most spectacular way imaginable.

Marquez looked like he was one punch away from getting finished himself, but he threw his best shot and that ended it. It was a do or die moment for him.

It was a bittersweet night for me. Pacquiao is my favorite fighter of all-time besides Hagler so I was devastated, but I couldn't help but feel so happy for Marquez, he's a true warrior and one of my favorites too. He needed that win for his legacy and his rivalry with Pac wouldn't have been that great if he didn't officially win one fight.
              Last edited by Willy Wanker; 08-24-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
                But in your previous posts you said that Marquez refused the 2nd fight because of money!

Secondly, how much did he make to fight someone else?

I said this a while ago. If he had retired after that, cool but he didn't.

So you do not win any of the 3 and beg …. then once you win, you do not give the opponent at least 1 rematch?

and I am a fan of both but hiring Memo, yikes!

First of all Marquez said that he wanted a raise, and when he didn't get that raise, he fought John...came back to the table, got his measly raise and the rest is history. Did you find out how much more Marquez made from fight 1 to fight 2, lmao???

Marquez didn't beg for anything. The fans wanted to see these fights. Marquez feels he won 2 of the fights and that's why he's at peace with not fighting a 5th fight. And those Ariza shakes, Roach said that he didn't know what was in them! WHOA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post

What "gall"....
                  I'll give it to you Pac fans. Even though you've been knocked out of boxing and are irrelevant to the game now lmao...you all do stick together when it comes to Pac, lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
                    First of all Marquez said that he wanted a raise, and when he didn't get that raise, he fought John...came back to the table, got his measly raise and the rest is history. Did you find out how much more Marquez made from fight 1 to fight 2, lmao???

Marquez didn't beg for anything. The fans wanted to see these fights. Marquez feels he won 2 of the fights and that's why he's at peace with not fighting a 5th fight. And those Ariza shakes, Roach said that he didn't know what was in them! WHOA!!!
                    It's a common misconception that Marquez fought John instead of Pacquaio again. Marquez was going to fight Pacquaio again in February of 2005 and then didn't accept the fight he fought Victor Polo on Castillo-Corrales instead. He was WBA super champion and IBF champion and a purse bid was ordered for him to fight his mandatory which was a Thai challenger (who lost to Pereira for the vacant title) and Top Rank didn't bid (Nacho & Quintana had problems with TR at this time) so due to a then WBA ruling you can't be a "super champion" if you aren't unified so they kept John as the regular champion and Marquez was left without either title but in the WBA #1 mandatory position. He fought John a year and a fight after the Pacquaio debacle.

The reason the Marquez-Pacquaio re-match didn't happen was because Marquez received $750k for the first fight and was told before the fight "If there's a re-match you'll make $1m" and despite Marquez being defending champion again that wasn't granted. Marquez received $1.5m for the re-match in 2008 so one could say he ultimately made the right decision but I can't help but feel he lost time. He'd have beaten Pacquaio in 2005 and then he'd have gotten the Barrera fight sooner and probably even a Morales fight.

Things happen for a reason and as a result Marquez got a storybook ending to the rivalry and no doubt ended up richer. If he'd have gotten the fight in 2005 he'd have won more decisively to the point I don't think he'd have made the type of money he did chasing Pacquaio all the way up to welterweight and earning mainstream global appeal and status as a recognized national icon.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                      It's a common misconception that Marquez fought John instead of Pacquaio again. Marquez was going to fight Pacquaio again in February of 2005 and then didn't accept the fight he fought Victor Polo on Castillo-Corrales instead. He was WBA super champion and IBF champion and a purse bid was ordered for him to fight his mandatory which was a Thai challenger (who lost to Pereira for the vacant title) and Top Rank didn't bid (Nacho & Quintana had problems with TR at this time) so due to a then WBA ruling you can't be a "super champion" if you aren't unified so they kept John as the regular champion and Marquez was left without either title but in the WBA #1 mandatory position. He fought John a year and a fight after the Pacquaio debacle.

The reason the Marquez-Pacquaio re-match didn't happen was because Marquez received $750k for the first fight and was told before the fight "If there's a re-match you'll make $1m" and despite Marquez being defending champion again that wasn't granted. Marquez received $1.5m for the re-match in 2008 so one could say he ultimately made the right decision but I can't help but feel he lost time. He'd have beaten Pacquaio in 2005 and then he'd have gotten the Barrera fight sooner and probably even a Morales fight.

Things happen for a reason and as a result Marquez got a storybook ending to the rivalry and no doubt ended up richer. If he'd have gotten the fight in 2005 he'd have won more decisively to the point I don't think he'd have made the type of money he did chasing Pacquaio all the way up to welterweight and earning mainstream global appeal and status as a recognized national icon.
                      Well said. And Pac made how much?

Comment

Working...
                      X