Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Pacquiao give Marquez immediate rematches???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
    Why did JMM refuse the fifth fight?

I thought they both agreed that it would be the last one and both claimed that they would end the last fight by going for the knockout.

One of them kept their word.

"He put a lot of muscle on, so hopefully that means that he wants to fight," Roach said of Marquez. "He says that he wants to go for the knockout. If (he does), then I love that."

Depending upon the outcome, might fight fans be treated to Pacquiao-Marquez V?

"This will be the last time," Roach said. "We're going to knock him out.

"End of story."
    Last edited by travestyny; 08-23-2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
      I thought they both agreed that it would be the last one and both claimed that they would end the last fight by going for the knockout.

One of them kept their word.
      Marquez refused, bruh.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/02/07...o-for-5th-time

Comment

Yea, but I thought they both already agreed that it would be the last one. It seems more like sour g****s from the Pacquiao camp. They were fine with it being the last one when they said they were going to knock him out. Didn't turn out the way they wanted it to.

Comment

Yea, but I thought they both already agreed that it would be the last one. It seems more like sour g****s from the Pacquiao camp. They were fine with it being the last one when they said they were going to knock him out. Didn't turn out the way they wanted it to.
          Dude, there are like, a hundred links on this. Marquez didn't want it. He said so. Not even 100 million would get him in the ring by his own admittance.

https://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sp...ao-fifth-fight

Comment

Dude, there are like, a hundred links on this. Marquez didn't want it. He said so. Not even 100 million would get him in the ring by his own admittance.

https://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sp...ao-fifth-fight
            I understand what you are saying, Tony. But you're not understanding what I'm saying.

They both had previously agreed that it would be the last one and would end with a knockout. You can't really fault Marquez for giving his word and standing by it.

Pacquiao vs Marquez: Fourth fight will be the last according to fighters and camps

https://www.sbnation.com/2012/12/7/3...ll-be-the-last
            Last edited by travestyny; 08-23-2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, Tony. But you're not understanding what I'm saying.

They both had previously agreed that it would be the last one and would end with a knockout. You can't really fault Marquez for giving his word and standing by it.
              I can fault any fighter for refusing to face another fighter for 60 million. I get that they agreed, but come on, man. It's boxing- not the cleanest business. And besides, how many times do these guys decide to have another rematch for more money or one more fight for more money? I mean, instead of Pac-Horn(my lord), we could have had the true tie-breaker and well, Marquez made a lot of dumb decisions career-wise, but this one was awful. Pac gave him three rematches and he can't give one back? That's shady and makes it seem like he knew he got lucky. After all, Pac dropped him too and was coming on. Could have went the other way, although I know marquez is very very hard to KO.

I see your side of it and I always liked Marquez as a fighter, but outside the ring, he made poor career decisions often. Chris John? Really ****** and then Morales steps in and gets the glory of beating pac when Marquez could have gotten an immediate rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
                There was a 4 year gap between the 1st and 2nd fight. Then a 3 year gap between the 2nd and 3rd fight.
                Plenty of people felt pacquiao lost these fights so why didn't Pacquiao immediately give him a rematch to prove them wrong???

See this is the difference between Pacquiao and fighters like Canelo and TBE. Many people felt floyd lost to castillo and what did he do? He gave him a rematch within that SAME YEAR. People felt like GGG won so what did canelo do? Offered him an immediate rematch

Did Bob Arum and pacquiao wait for JMM to get old??? It appears so but it obviously backfired

Thank god i support true warriors like Ca$hnelo and Mr. TBE

amazing post and amazing poster. Please don’t ever go. This lounge needs you

Comment

I can fault any fighter for refusing to face another fighter for 60 million. I get that they agreed, but come on, man. It's boxing- not the cleanest business. And besides, how many times do these guys decide to have another rematch for more money or one more fight for more money? I mean, instead of Pac-Horn(my lord), we could have had the true tie-breaker and well, Marquez made a lot of dumb decisions career-wise, but this one was awful. Pac gave him three rematches and he can't give one back? That's shady and makes it seem like he knew he got lucky. After all, Pac dropped him too and was coming on. Could have went the other way, although I know marquez is very very hard to KO.

I see your side of it and I always liked Marquez as a fighter, but outside the ring, he made poor career decisions often. Chris John? Really ****** and then Morales steps in and gets the glory of beating pac when Marquez could have gotten an immediate rematch.

I certainly see what you mean and that's definitely one perspective.

I think his perspective was more that:

1. He feels he was robbed 3 times (the 3rd fight was the most egregious in my opinion.)

2. The fourth fight had a picture perfect ending.

3. He can always say that he was true to his word that it would be the last fight and would end in a knockout.

He says he wanted to leave that as the last chapter to the saga, somewhat also as a gift to his fans. Why risk getting robbed again. He doesn't want to mess with what he thinks was a perfect ending. I can't blame him. At that point for him, it's not about the money.

I think he's thinking, why mess with perfection? For him, it's the perfect cap on the rivalry and it is priceless.

Again, I see where you are coming from. If I were Manny Pac, I'd want a rematch, too. I don't fault him for that. But personally, I can't fault Marquez for saying that's the end.

Comment

I certainly see what you mean and that's definitely one perspective.

I think his perspective was more that:

1. He feels he was robbed 3 times (the 3rd fight was the most egregious in my opinion.)

2. The fourth fight had a picture perfect ending.

3. He can always say that he was true to his word that it would be the last fight and would end in a knockout.

He says he wanted to leave that as the last chapter to the saga, somewhat also as a gift to his fans. Why risk getting robbed again. He doesn't want to mess with what he thinks was a perfect ending. I can't blame him. At that point for him, it's not about the money.

I think he's thinking, why mess with perfection? For him, it's the perfect cap on the rivalry and it is priceless.

Again, I see where you are coming from. If I were Manny Pac, I'd want a rematch, too. I don't fault him for that. But personally, I can't fault Marquez for saying that's the end.
                    Yeah, it was a solid series for sure. I always liked watching both of them and they made for quite a rivalry. Marquez-Diaz I is still one of my favorite fights. Great action from beginning to end. And Pac-Marq IV was definitely the best of the series.

Here's to the sport we love, my friend.

Comment

You don't even know why he took the Chris John fight lmao. Marquez only made dumb decisions to Pac's fans, lmao. I don't blame Pac for how Arum treated him. Marquez has always had faith in himself and that's why he is good with his career. Pac's fans can't get over the last ko lmao. Marquez couldn't get over why Arum didn't want to give him a substantial raise for the rematch. Find out how much Marquez made in fights 1 and 2 and see if what you said above matters at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X