No announcement yet.

The idea that one has to fight in Vegas to validate their career is BS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
    It doesn't matter where you win but Vegas is more lucrative if you can get a fair decision.
    Why does it matter to me if a boxer gets paid more?

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      Las Vegas is the biggest and brightest stage that boxing has to offer.

No different than any kid dribbling a basketball wanting to play in the NBA, or a kid playing baseball wanting to be in the world series, or the kid that's good playing youth soccer wanting to one day play in the World Cup.

Who wouldn't want to fight on boxing's biggest stage?
      Does Duran beating Leonard lose its luster because it was fought in Montreal? Does Douglas beating Tyson in the biggest upset in all sports not shine as bright because it was in Japan? Was Vazquez Marquez III not great because it was fought in Carson instead of Las Vegas? When Mayorga kod Forrest was it not as shocking because it wasnt at the MGM?

Most people watching any fight, are watching on tv.

They dont care where its broadcast from. You guys who call yourselves hardcore boxing fans are simply buying into hype, like a casual fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Real boxer View Post
        Does Duran beating Leonard lose its luster because it was fought in Montreal? Does Douglas beating Tyson in the biggest upset in all sports not shine as bright because it was in Japan? Was Vazquez Marquez III not great because it was fought in Carson instead of Las Vegas? When Mayorga kod Forrest was it not as shocking because it wasnt at the MGM?

Most people watching any fight, are watching on tv.

They dont care where its broadcast from. You guys who call yourselves hardcore boxing fans are simply buying into hype, like a casual fan.
        No one is knocking the fights as not being great, but let's be honest here.

The Tokyo Dome was a great atmosphere; still, imagine what it would've done for 'Buster' Douglas had the same fight been done in from of 25k people at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas (MGM Grand didn't start hosting fights until 1994); an underachiever, fighting with a heavy heart due to the passing of his mother, summons the courage and fortitude to knockout the man that some folks saw as being unbeatable.

Or Duran, taking on the great Ray Leonard and beating him in Las Vegas.

Vasquez-Marquez had a great series of fights, and great fights can be had anywhere, but if you want the stage with the largest spectacle, Las Vegas blows every other venue out of the water, and it's basically been that for the last 30-35 years.

Las Vegas makes everything shine brighter

Comment

Originally posted by Sn1 View Post
          because business isn't handled by throwing numbers around with no details given, yet they actually expected Joshua just to sign a non-existent contract ... wtf?
          The offer included all major details. $50 million against 50%, for a fight in the US, with no rematch clause, no interim fights, to take place between October and December.

A contract was never sent because AJ didn't accept the term sheet. Just like Hearn never sent Wilder a contract until Wilder accepted the term sheet. This is how things work in boxing and in many businesses.

Wilder's biggest payday is 2.1mil and he turned down a guaranteed 15mil
          You have no idea what Wilder's biggest payday actually is. You don't really believe Cotto was only paid 700k for his retirement fight do you?

GGG had a filed purse of 1 million in his last fight, but is still getting 45% of the biggest fight of the year. It takes two to create a superfight. Superfights have splits, not flat fees.

Joshua doesn't need Wilder, he's already unified the division AND sells out stadiums whereas Wilder only has a WBC belt vacated by Vitali Klitschko and won by Bermane Stiverne against Chris Arreola, a ****ing bum. There's no legitimacy to his claim of champion at all.
          The WBC has always been the most valuable belt. You have to unify the WBA/IBF/WBO just to piece back together the original WBA belt.

Stiverne was #2 in the world when Wilder beat him for the WBC title. Charles Martin was barely in the top 10.

Martin won his vacant title against an injured Glazkov. Parker won his vacant title against a fat and unproven Ruiz. AJ was allowed to fight Wladimir for a vacant belt even though he was coming off a loss and 18 months of rust.

You can always pick apart resumes. No matter how you slice it, the world recognizes AJ as #1, Wilder as #2, and the lineal title is vacant if you're strict, or Fury is lineal champion if you're lax. If Wilder beats Fury, he'll have a better claim to being world champion than AJ.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            Ok fair point. What I was trying to convey is playing soccer the Rose Bowl isn't seen the same way as playing in Azteca , Camp Nou or Wembley. The difference is when you fight in Vegas it like performing on Broadway rather than off Broadway. Or performing Or playing basketball at MSG and not the Barclays.

If AJ wants to just fight in England that is fine. He will be the HWT Clazaghe or Ottke.

Cool, if that is what you want to be.
            Joshua will eventually fight in the states some time, but he wants the fight with Wilder in the UK because he's not going to give up an advantage.

Tyson made his name around the world by fighting in the US only. So Joshua isn't all of a sudden not going to make a name for himself just because he's fighting in the UK.

To assume people around the world would only watch Joshua if he's fighting in Vegas is not only arrogant, but it's preposterous. There are no facts about such nonsense. People tune in to watch a fight based on the calibre of opponents in the ring, not by the location. The only country that Joshua can make a bigger name for himself in by fighting in Vegas, is the USA. Other countries don't care where it's held.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
              Joshua will eventually fight in the states some time, but he wants the fight with Wilder in the UK because he's not going to give up an advantage.

Tyson made his name around the world by fighting in the US only. So Joshua isn't all of a sudden not going to make a name for himself just because he's fighting in the UK.

To assume people around the world would only watch Joshua if he's fighting in Vegas is not only arrogant, but it's preposterous. There are no facts about such nonsense. People tune in to watch a fight based on the calibre of opponents in the ring, not by the location. The only country that Joshua can make a bigger name for himself in by fighting in Vegas, is the USA. Other countries don't care where it's held.
              I get that and since he is the a side he can choose to fight wherever he wants.

Very different. You can fight in the US exclusively and be respected around the world. If you don't fight in America US, Puerto Rican and Mexican fans generally don't respect you as much.

Primary reason guys like Wlad, ottke and calzaghe for example get very little respect in this hemisphere.

I don't assume that at all. Vegas is the fight capital of the world and the high rollers come in from all over the world for a big fight because of all the things they can do.

I agree people tune in to watch the opponent, but as I have posted several times those of us that watch on TV get a better viewing experience if the atmosphere is hype-which is why I have no reason with the fight in Wembley because the atmosphere is great.

Comment

???????.........

Comment

Because its prize fighting so you probably want to maximize the prize you fight for.

Just sayin............

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                    The truth is if a fighter doesn't fight in the mecca boxing, then they are going to be very hard to find. American television helps globalize the sport of boxing. When there is a huge sporting event in America the whole world takes notice.

That is not the case for other parts of the world like say Great Britain. Nobody watches boxing in Great Britain except for Brits and other boxing fans around the globe. Other than that the typical casual fan hasn't even heard of these fighters; Let alone know who they are.

The only reason why Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. are as famous as they are on every continent and corner of the globe is because they fight in America while the other is both American and fights in America.
                    You really are deranged. Show me evidence that people around the globe would watch more if a fight was in Vegas to say Wembley or the O2 in London?

The level of arrogance you display is beyond disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      I get that and since he is the a side he can choose to fight wherever he wants.

Very different. You can fight in the US exclusively and be respected around the world. If you don't fight in America US, Puerto Rican and Mexican fans generally don't respect you as much.

Primary reason guys like Wlad, ottke and calzaghe for example get very little respect in this hemisphere.

I don't assume that at all. Vegas is the fight capital of the world and the high rollers come in from all over the world for a big fight because of all the things they can do.

I agree people tune in to watch the opponent, but as I have posted several times those of us that watch on TV get a better viewing experience if the atmosphere is hype-which is why I have no reason with the fight in Wembley because the atmosphere is great.
                      Why wouldn't Americans, Peurto Ricans and Mexicans respect a fighter if they never fought in the states even though they would be fighting the exact same fighters they would in America? That doesn't make any sense, man. It's the fighters you beat, nothing to do with location. So if they don't respect fighters who don't fight in the states even though they're fighting the same fighter, then they're ******s who should be dismissed for being idiots. And who cares about the opinions of idiots?

You do know we do better crowds than in the states don't you, regardless of where the fight is held? Your crowds to put it mildly, are complete ****. They don't even look like boxing fans. And they certainly don't sound like fans either.

Comment

Working...
                      X